Main/Starting character?

#11darkrpger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2012 7:07:32 AM
Thanks again, for the help guys!

Didn't have much more time to play yesterday (I expect to have some today, though).
I stopped right after Sarah joined, so I'm guessing that I'll be getting to the AA's soon...and that should at least make the combat more interesting.

I'm kinda' split on the DLC issue, too (btw - I also hate the way that "digital download only" games are being pushed now)...I'll never buy a system where I can never really own (and re-sell; now, I've never re-sold a game yet (unless I somehow wound up w/ multiple copies of it), but damnit! I should be able to!

As for the DLC - I really dislike that not everything can be on my games at the time of purchase.
Having said that, I do sometimes get it.
I won't buy extra costumes/palette swaps, etc...but, if there's some additional characters and/or content that I really want...I've been known to cave (Looking you dead in the eye Disgaea(s).

At this point, as much as I dislike it, I think that it's here to stay.
I think that even if I didn't get it (and even if thousands like me didn't buy it) - there would still be enough interest & profit in it where it's not going anywhere.

So, I guess that I'm basically at the point that by not buying DLC that I'm interested in...I'm kinda' cutting off my nose to spite my face...just my opinion, though :)
---
A lot of truth is said in jest ^_^
Now Playing:Hyperdimension-Neptunia (PS3), Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2), Persona 2: Innocent-Sin (PSP), 999(DS)
#12philsovPosted 1/22/2012 8:27:50 AM
I stopped right after Sarah joined, so I'm guessing that I'll be getting to the AA's soon...and that should at least make the combat more interesting.

Yeah. AAs -make- the game. There's a boss fight towards the end of the level that grants you AAs, and then after that you're free to get a real 6-person party and rock the game.

Word of warning: after you run into the injured warrior (and likely "go to town to help him"), meander around until you have enough exp in order for Sara to gain another level (by this point you/Kyo/Rico will be in similar). Go back to town (xfer potion!) sleep, and THEN go forward. The boss is shortly ahead and can be difficult. On the plus side, this'll be the only time you need to grind levels for the entire game.
---
...And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald Bhuddist reflect and plan a mass murder.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3952.0
#13PainAmplifierPosted 1/22/2012 12:52:40 PM
philsov posted...
On the plus side, this'll be the only time you need to grind levels for the entire game.

While it's true you really don't need to *grind* levels to beat the game, it does help a lot to make a few repeat runs on a couple of levels if you don't already in the course of clearing them out. AKA a party member dies and you return to rez him, go back to town to level up, have to leave early to recharge spells, etc.

In fact, levels are the *last* things you need to grind. Spells on the other hand, are probably the *first*! There is a massive difference between a Level 1 Teal spell and a Level 3 Teal spell for example and from floor B3 and down you will definately want to have some Leveled up spells to save your party. Especially for the Ninja and Beetles you will start seeing from that point forward. You can rush the Fly's when you first see them, but you probably won't be able to rush the Beetles and you definately won't be able to rush the Ninja. And here is where you start seeing large groups of them. Both are vulnerable to Spells that have a couple of levels in them thankfully.

I lost my first party member to a Instakill from a Ninja on B3 last night in fact. And the Samurai enemies on that level are proving to be difficult for my party. The Minor Daiymo expecially have high enough Evade at this point I really struggle to hit them. Plus they come in parties with first tier Sam's in front and another Bishop in back while your Spell Cancel will only negate one spell at this point...and the Minor Daimyo's will cast spells in the back row.

Actually from B2 on down each level will introduce newer and harder monsters that will take AA's, Spells or extra turns due to HP just to kill/clear. The *first* time you meet them they will be at their weakest and easiest to kill. Take this time to LEARN their behaviour because their difficulty goes up almost exponentially the next time you see them. (More in a party, stronger spells, Installkill % rises, Higher Def, *More* attacks!)

B2 - Stronger Monsters (Theifs), Spellcasters (Mages), Instakill and Evasive monsters (Ninja), Undead (Spells, Dispell or 'magic' weapons to kill.)

B3 - 'Small' Dragons (Single Gas Dragon), Samurai, Bishops, Beetle's, Fly's, (More) Priests. Oh, and parties of 4-6 Giant Frog's Just to annoy you. >_< (I actually forgot about those!)

B4 - (Haven't started clearing this yet with my new party...Just stepped down the B3 stairs before warping back to town.) I think this is the first level where super large enemy party start showing up with regularity. (The Orc King parties on B3 barely count.) It's actually the level architecture that is the main pain I think. (Lots of undead and Ninja though.)

Thinking Forward...(Without taking my super party out of the Abyss to check.)

B5 - Gaze Hounds...Nuff said.

B6 - Wyverns and Chimera?
#14EyezofWolfPosted 1/23/2012 12:45:02 PM
Glad you are enjoying the game, darkrpger! There are a few of us that linger around here and chat it up a fair amount - hence the existence of the Old Farts thread. I will admit that I am guilty of only checking this board once every couple of weeks or so. But, I do keep coming back to it because it is worth it to share thoughts. Although for me, it has been YEARS since I have played this game. I am enjoying the Wizardry game that is available for download on PSN. I forget what it is called, but it is nice and has that classic Wizardry feel to it. Just don't ask how long I spent making my character for that game rerolling over and over to get better starting stats. :)

To chime in on the DLC thing, I can say that I don't think I have ever bought any DLC for a game. I have a problem with it. And while I will agree that it is cheap when just release DLC as a way to milk a franchise for money, my issue is something else. I often play games for story - that is my main interest in playing RPG's. I find that most DLC doesn't... feel right. Often times it is smaller and akin to sidequests in the main game. For me, I don't see the point of going back to a game I have already completed to do a side quest. It just doesn't have much appeal for me. Even when it is stuff tacked onto the end of a game, I still feel like it pales in comparison to the main story, and there are other games I would rather play.

But that's just my thoughts on it.

Jumping back to this game, I will say that AA's are really what makes the combat interesting. And it will save your life, a LOT! The Spell Cancel AA became one of my absolute favorites and key. You will see why. Rush also becomes important if you do thinks like grind Metal Slimes, but I never did that so I can't speak from personal experience.
---
Home page: dylanbirtolo.com
Writing journal: eyezofwolf.livejournal.com
#15darkrpger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2012 2:26:56 PM(edited)
^
Thanks wolfeyes!

Do I know you from the G*FAQS "RPG's Everything Else" Board, too?
- (there's so many names w/ "wolf" in it...I can never be sure :)

Anyhow - Wizardry on the PSN?!
I didn't know that there was one...which one is it?

*EDIT*
Now that I've got (up to Trust-Level 4) AA's & some new characters & quests - the game's definitely picking up!
---
Now Playing:Hyperdimension-Neptunia (PS3), Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2), Persona 2: Innocent-Sin (PSP), 999(DS)
#16EyezofWolfPosted 1/24/2012 12:26:09 PM
No problem, darkrpger! As for the other Wizardry game, I believe it is the labyrinth of lost souls one. I am not good with names and titles. There is another thread on this board with some comments on it.

And you might have known me from that board. I might have done some posting there - it sounds like the type of place that I might post. But it wouldn't have been anytime recently. Heh - and yes, wolves are kind of popular in gamertags. :)
---
Home page: dylanbirtolo.com
Writing journal: eyezofwolf.livejournal.com
#17darkrpger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2012 11:16:31 AM
You're right wolfeyes, it is called Labyrinth of Lost Souls.

I just finished downloading it...Tale of the Forsaken Land (being my 1st Wizardry game) had me liking it enough to be willing to pay the $15 for a similar experience in hd.

My main/only complaint about ToFL (now that I've acclimated to the 1st-person view & using the d-pad), would have to be the clunkiness of the menu system (I can understand limiting items/item conservation)...but, for a PS2 game, it just seems to take entirely too many button presses to transfer/equip items.

I'm surprised that I don't remember hearing more about the Wizardry series...I remember playing Ultima games on my old Apple ][E computer - they must have been releasing around the same time, right?
---
#18Icegoten200Posted 2/23/2012 10:00:27 PM
I got 21 points. I'll stick with that and I guess I got lucky because it only took me about 1min of trying to get something higher than 11.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/Icegoten/wizpoint.jpg
---
Super Nintendo
#19thewaynemanorPosted 2/26/2012 4:36:47 PM
PainAmplifier posted...
philsov posted...

While it's true you really don't need to *grind* levels to beat the game, it does help a lot to make a few repeat runs on a couple of levels if you don't already in the course of clearing them out. AKA a party member dies and you return to rez him, go back to town to level up, have to leave early to recharge spells, etc.

In fact, levels are the *last* things you need to grind. Spells on the other hand, are probably the *first*! There is a massive difference between a Level 1 Teal spell and a Level 3 Teal spell for example and from floor B3 and down you will definately want to have some Leveled up spells to save your party. Especially for the Ninja and Beetles you will start seeing from that point forward. You can rush the Fly's when you first see them, but you probably won't be able to rush the Beetles and you definately won't be able to rush the Ninja. And here is where you start seeing large groups of them. Both are vulnerable to Spells that have a couple of levels in them thankfully.

I lost my first party member to a Instakill from a Ninja on B3 last night in fact. And the Samurai enemies on that level are proving to be difficult for my party. The Minor Daiymo expecially have high enough Evade at this point I really struggle to hit them. Plus they come in parties with first tier Sam's in front and another Bishop in back while your Spell Cancel will only negate one spell at this point...and the Minor Daimyo's will cast spells in the back row.

Actually from B2 on down each level will introduce newer and harder monsters that will take AA's, Spells or extra turns due to HP just to kill/clear. The *first* time you meet them they will be at their weakest and easiest to kill. Take this time to LEARN their behaviour because their difficulty goes up almost exponentially the next time you see them. (More in a party, stronger spells, Installkill % rises, Higher Def, *More* attacks!)

B2 - Stronger Monsters (Theifs), Spellcasters (Mages), Instakill and Evasive monsters (Ninja), Undead (Spells, Dispell or 'magic' weapons to kill.)

B3 - 'Small' Dragons (Single Gas Dragon), Samurai, Bishops, Beetle's, Fly's, (More) Priests. Oh, and parties of 4-6 Giant Frog's Just to annoy you. >_< (I actually forgot about those!)

B4 - (Haven't started clearing this yet with my new party...Just stepped down the B3 stairs before warping back to town.) I think this is the first level where super large enemy party start showing up with regularity. (The Orc King parties on B3 barely count.) It's actually the level architecture that is the main pain I think. (Lots of undead and Ninja though.)

Thinking Forward...(Without taking my super party out of the Abyss to check.)

B5 - Gaze Hounds...Nuff said.

B6 - Wyverns and Chimera?

B4 - One important housekeeping detail - magic weapons are required when not using spells as undead can be plentiful.

B4 also marks the arrival of the Gargoyles, who can fly and attack back row members. Also be careful of the Spider icon - this is the first encounter with large groups of Spiders. As per the Tactics Guide, the Party MUST have the appropriate spells/items to kill them all in one round on B5. There are also Shades, that can drain one level per attack.

Be VERY prepared before confronting Kulgan and two Ninjas halfway through the level, and be sure to complete all quests as some are tricky. Note the mistake on the B4 map (also in Tactics Guide). Also follow the advice re: B5 - slowly and surely does it - explore a few passages and retreat and rest. You can thunder up and down B5 with impudence when you are Level 30 +!

PS - Re: your comment about information in the Tactics Guide, it was placed in that format as it is a mixed bag of facts that correct and clarify previous information in other Guides. Not enough of anything in one category. If you read carefully, no problem!
#20darkrpger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 10:34:53 AM
Well, after starting this game, I went through a bit of a 'gaming-burnout' phase where playing through my overwhelming backlog was beginning to feel more like work than fun...so...I had to take a break from gaming for awhile...

Now, I'm getting back into this game again (on B2 - Rui just joined my party).

Unless I'm just missing it somewhere (I've read through the FAQ's and looked through the 3 pages worth of questions on this board)...I'm not finding anything about the "USE / RELEASE" 'special powers' option.

So, basically,

1). Is this something that can be done w/ certain items?,

2). If so, how can you distinguish what items are 'eligible'?,

3). Does the item break/disappear after using this option?

4). Are there certain items/times/locations/circumstances where you'd always want to do/not do this?

5). Any tricks, strategies, and/or ways to exploit/speed-up the strengthening of your party?

As always, thanks for the help!
---
Now Playing: Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (One game at a time)...