Best ARMs set up for characters?

#1Hobbun1Posted 8/12/2009 2:36:38 PM
I was wondering what everyone felt the best ARMs setup (numbers) are for the characters? What to focus on?

Right now I have been kind of following the FAQ on it but I am reading it is not the best source of info.

With Virginia, I am going back and forth between ATT and HIT, should I concentrate more on ATT? Or put some in WGT?

With Jet, I have put 3 towards CRT and also am going between ATT and HIT.

Clive, I feel adding bullets is a must and I believe I have two levels in that. And the rest in ATT and HIT.

As for Gallows, I am going only in ATT and HIT.

To give an idea the numbers I am dealing with, I have around 9 levels total in everyone. I believe Gallows only has 8.

Any recommendations on what I should be working towards for the characters? Their best ARMs setups?
#2OutlawDinoPosted 8/12/2009 3:08:28 PM
Virginia is a healer and mage; Gallows is pure mage. As such they should be the last characters to focus on upgrading their ARMs.

With Virginia, I am going back and forth between ATT and HIT, should I concentrate more on ATT? Or put some in WGT?
HIT is wasted on Virginia. She'll almost never miss attacking and in the ultra-rare times she would, having cast spells/toss gems against elemental weaknesses is a much better idea. She also gets the worst returns for SHT upgrades. But she is geared to get the most out of Gatling attacks. If you give her 10 WGT and 5BLT upgrades she can pull off a 10-hit Gatling attack with 100 FP. Stack on the Fire and Brave mediums for this and she will kill everything (baring a few bosses) with one turn.

With Jet, I have put 3 towards CRT and also am going between ATT and HIT.
HIT is good in the early game, but you'll probably want to Initialize those later. 10 SHT and 5 CRT works very well for him. Maybe 15 SHT towards the end.

Clive, I feel adding bullets is a must and I believe I have two levels in that. And the rest in ATT and HIT.
HIT is even more wasted than it is for Virginia. He will never miss (again, except for extreme and rare circumstances). 15 SHT is fantastic. He can blow holes through mountains with that.

As for Gallows, I am going only in ATT and HIT.
Magic, magic, magic. The only times he should be attacking is when you need to build up FP, which later on you can get around by feeding him Carrots. But... there are ways to help. He does have a high attack value, but with his awful AIM he gets less than the full 8-hits per attack. There are two ways to overcome this. a) Critical attacks always hit the full 8 times. Boosting CRT will help. b) Increasing AIM increases the chance for higher hits per normal attack. So you can go 5 SHT, 5 CRT and 5 AIM or 5 SHT/10CRT, 5 SHT/10AIM, 10 SHT/5 CRT, 10 SHT/5 AIM. You get the idea. I myself like the 5/5/5 setup because it is the least expensive.
---
I have Gwen Stacey clones, and you don't.
Official Deadpool of the CAGN board.
#3Hobbun1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2009 5:03:43 PM
Yes, I have heard of the Gatling method with Virginia. The problem with that is then I am taking away FP's to use for Mystic, as she is my healer. Also, aren't Brave and Fire mediums attack mediums? I would much rather leave those Clive with the stacking method. And I am not much to constantly switch out mediums as it is annoying. I want to find the mediums that work best for the characters and leave the mediums on them.

I like the 10 SHT and 5 BLT with Jet. I don't know if I want to go all out on SHT. He only gets 3 bullets at base, I believe.

As for Clive, again, I don't think I would want to max out on SHT. His bullets are even less. Only starts with 2. Maybe I will do 12 SHT and 3 BLT.

And finally Gallows, he's a tough one. I will admit, I do find a lot of times using his ARMs during combat. Because his spells don't do a whole hell of a lot (unless it is a weakness for the enemy) or I want to build up his FP. Also, his Heal spell is becoming pretty ineffective now, as well.

I will have to think about it with him, but I am probably going to go with the 10 SHT and 5 CRT. Or maybe an 8 SHT, 2 BLT and 5 CRT.

Sorry if I pretty much disgregarded your suggestions, it's just I guess I was asking if it was useful to take a lot of the options and for the most part no, as you suggested for two of the characters to go 15 SHT. It also sounds like AIM is pretty useless, as well.

Thanks for the help.
#4AndvareelPosted 8/12/2009 7:25:23 PM
First of all, in an endgame setup, CRT seems to be mathematically useless on anyone but Gallows (who can get extra out of it since criticals give 100% accuracy). However, it's cheaper than SHT and is also a completely different category... so it's still useful along the way.

For example, while 6 SHT costs 136,500 gella and 7 SHT costs 210,000 gella... 6 SHT and 6 CRT costs 163,800 gella. Even if 1 SHT > 1 CRT, 6 CRT >> 1 SHT, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper too! You have to be wary of the cap, but CRT is often worth it, especially if you've stacked fire and luck.

The problem with raising Virginia's SHT is that she's almost always better tossing a gem. Shooting should be pointless aside from the FP gain, and you won't need to shoot much for FP by the late game. So, you're basically raising a D ranked attack to a B-, when her basic gem damage is a B- to begin with! Pure WGT or WGT/BLT gives her either a burst attack or a nuke. The latter is more popular because it's cheaper and has the highest possible hit count, but various combinations are better depending on your FP.

HIT is often useless because if your HIT exceeds an enemie's EVD, you'll NEVER miss. If you're properly leveled (and lucky cards actually cause minor overleveling), Virginia and Clive have AIM exceeding almost all enemies. Jet is slightly lacking, so a small boost can push him into 100% mode. Virginia is again better off using gems most of the time anyway, and Clive can lock-on the rare evasive types.

"Yes, I have heard of the Gatling method with Virginia. The problem with that is then I am taking away FP's to use for Mystic, as she is my healer. Also, aren't Brave and Fire mediums attack mediums? I would much rather leave those Clive with the stacking method. And I am not much to constantly switch out mediums as it is annoying. I want to find the mediums that work best for the characters and leave the mediums on them."

Gatling is burst damage. One turn. It's a simple switch... and if she's setup for defense she can pull a valiant gatling anyway (cheez!!!). Anyway, in terms of practical use, I actually prefer pure WGT- but it's so much more expensive (apx double the cost) that you probably couldn't even field it until mid-chapter 3 or so, and once you actually reach super-postgame full carrot spamming you'd probably want to use the 10/5 setup anyway. But it is true that the gatling setup is hard to use... it's hard to build up the FP before you get force charge or a lot of carrots. Still, it's spammable for randoms to great effectiveness (instant kill some of the bigger enemies), and can even be worth opening with in a multi-enemy boss battle to quickly uneven the playing field.

If you aren't using gatling, you shouldn't need more than 5 bullets. If battles are dragging on past 5 turns, your setup is probably bad. And on the rare occasion that you are actually fighting a dangerous opponent, you should be guarding often enough that bullet supply isn't an issue. Clive is the only one who has few enough bullets, and reason to use them, to consider raising BLT.

"And finally Gallows, he's a tough one. I will admit, I do find a lot of times using his ARMs during combat. Because his spells don't do a whole hell of a lot (unless it is a weakness for the enemy) or I want to build up his FP. Also, his Heal spell is becoming pretty ineffective now, as well."

Then stack MAG and hit weakness. He can't compete with gatlings- but turn for turn spells are great- and your party doesn't have any multi-target physicals. That means that if you don't take the time (or semi-cheat) to grow a billion full carrots in the garden, Gallows probably is your strongest offense. He gets a lot more powerful when you get the guardian lords.
#5Hobbun1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2009 4:42:20 PM
First, as for Virginia. Again, if I go down the Gatling route with her, then it is eating up FP where I need them for Mystic as she is my healer. Or are you saying I should spam her with Full Carrots later on? I do plan to max out the Secret Garden and carry a lot of Full Carrots.

I am not looking for her to be a powerhouse like Clive. But I do want her to have decent attacks. I would think 10/5 would do this? Or no?

In regards to Gallows, I am stacking the magic mediums but even still he does 'ok' damage. You say 'then hit weakness'. The problem is not all creatures have a weakness and many bosses do not (at least from what I have been able to tell). The only two mediums I have on him right now is Aqua Wisp and Gale Claw. Just for the fact I am still missing the last magic medium.
#6VeghEstherPosted 8/13/2009 5:03:21 PM
As for weakness once the 4 Mediums of Raftina, Justine, Zephyr and Lucied can be gotten 1 of those 4 has a skill where you can set a weakness to most targets.

Its too bad that skill I think doesn't work on boss's.
#7OutlawDinoPosted 8/13/2009 5:42:51 PM
First, as for Virginia. Again, if I go down the Gatling route with her, then it is eating up FP where I need them for Mystic as she is my healer.

No one is forcing you to make Virginia Gating every turn. Plus once you farm Full Carrots FP is easy to restore. It's more of a "just in case" set up.

The problem is not all creatures have a weakness and many bosses do not (at least from what I have been able to tell).
Use the Analyze arcana. On everything. Then you will know exactly what weaknesses everyone has. And get Gale Claw off Gallows right now. It is much better suited for Jet unless you are specifically targeting a Wind/Lightning weak monster. Unless you have a specific need for a battle, Gallows should always have Aqua, Love and Lust equipped. This set up not only includes the arcana that adds elemental weaknesses to monsters, it also has the Weaken PS skill that increases the damage done to elemental weak attacks.

Its too bad that skill I think doesn't work on boss's.
It works on a heck of a lot of bosses.
---
I have Gwen Stacey clones, and you don't.
Official Deadpool of the CAGN board.
#8VeghEstherPosted 8/13/2009 7:15:26 PM
Too bad the major boss that's immune to weakness is Ragu Ragula so good luck beating its true form (999 physical defense) without using finest arts.
#9Hobbun1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2009 11:02:56 PM
No, I know no one was forcing me to use the set up. I was just saying why I was hesitant on using it. It seemed Virginia's Gatling set up countered her ability in using Mystic. But when I get the Full Carrot factory going, I will give it a shot.

Ok, will take Gale Claw off Gallows give it to Jet.

Thanks for the suggestions.