This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

a good read for anybody trying to get better in melee

#1KillaForChickenPosted 4/8/2009 7:28:42 AM
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228941
---
smash alias- KFC
#2EPsilon933Posted 4/8/2009 7:33:33 AM
tl;dr...... yet
---
"True, not even if you play 700 matches or something you'll get a character, but you forgot that." -J_Seigal
#3sonics_reignPosted 4/8/2009 7:49:20 AM
That was some pretty good stuff actually.
---
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9269/yukibaseballrr4.gif
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2369/happinessgz8.jpg
#4MaxedChicPosted 4/8/2009 7:57:33 AM
Here I'll quote some interesting passages:

I have been trying to help a lot of people get better recently, and the advice is always the same:

-- Drop your bad habits
-- Get more technical

You could further simplify the advice just by saying, "Drop your bad habits." If a lack of technique is the root of one of these habits, you'll get more technical in rectifying it.

Bad habits do not go away easily. They take a lot of hard work. Step one is being cognizant of them: you have to understand how bad that attacking from the ledge all of the time, or rolling when pressured, or Fox illusioning to recover every time is.

It's hard to notice these things on your own. Make videos or ask for advice about your bad habits.

What is results oriented thinking? Getting close to someone in a friendly and assuming it was because of your own skill. Essentially, being a noob is not playing to learn, as Forward said, or to improve. Being a noob is always playing to win and always being concerned and validated by wins and losses regardless of context.

Good point. Always be aware of "form," or how well you're playing no matter the results. I've played great Smash against players who crushed me; I've won games where I'm sloppy as hell. If you use your results to figure out what works and what doesn't, you'll always misevaluate your skill. Instead, keep a critical eye on your play whether you win or not.

Most players that get a kill in that scenario experience a brief let down; they think, Okay, after the first two seconds, I play my game again, but get slightly lazy -- maybe I did a move that would normally work, but because his percentage is low got CCed into a smash -- and they lose their stock. This happens all the time, it is truly ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is sometimes pros attack while the opponent's still invincible! It's a beginner's mistake. When the other guy is respawning, never forget that you're on defense.

-- Waveland onto the stage (very fast with a ton of options after this)

This technique is really underused. Put it in your repertoire. Many edge-guarders will sit on top of the ledge in their shield, and this'll surprise them every time.

I will edit this post as I think of more bad habits people have. Things to talk about: edge guarding

I sure hope he gets to this.
---
Kicked in the ribs, the press says "art" when "ouch" would be more appropriate. ~ Pauline Kael
#5KillaForChicken(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2009 8:00:47 AM
do u have a smashboards account?

u should discuss the topic in the smashboards thread ^_^

i dont want the thread to die cus its a good topic
---
smash alias- KFC
#6TheIceDragonPosted 4/8/2009 8:05:46 AM
Baaaah!
---
Hey TheIceDragon arent you Isai? I think I was told that TheIceDragon was Isai himself.--Hellfire105
#7KuronoaPosted 4/8/2009 11:47:21 AM
This was a good read.
---
DivineDragoonKain: Your wizard is a Magikarp, only instead of evolving into Gyarados it turns into Mewtwo.
#8SlashtapPosted 4/8/2009 2:35:23 PM
Reading is for chumps.

*marks for later >_>
---
I'm risking being fired by jerking off to these [SilentSpectre] vids at work, and it is so worth it. -ihsb
#9bulgarian_kidPosted 4/8/2009 3:01:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10pkmvodkaPosted 4/8/2009 7:32:05 PM

-- Waveland onto the stage (very fast with a ton of options after this)

This technique is really underused. Put it in your repertoire. Many edge-guarders will sit on top of the ledge in their shield, and this'll surprise them every time.

and then you play vs kage and you lose and he gets 5th at RoM.

LOL
---
When I saw her dancin at the ball that night, I knew somehow, someway that I would make her mine.