This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A serious discussion about Project M

#1-hotdogturtle--Posted 4/13/2012 12:33:21 AM
(Note to mods: This topic will strictly stay within the bounds of the GameFAQs ToS and will not discuss the methods of obtaining or playing this game (even though it's not actually illegal, but we'll play it safe in here))

With the release of the Project M 2nd demo in about 2 days from now, I felt that it was time to make this topic. Actually I wanted to make it before but I forgot.

Anyway, in case you haven't been following, Project M is a fan-mod that is creating a "new" Super Smash Bros. game using Brawl as a base. It is inspired by the fast-paced, skill-reliant gameplay of Melee, but it incorporates elements of all 3 Smash games as well as a lot of new content. Many characters have entirely original new moves, and the cast is going to be balanced so there will not be huge tier discrepancies like in Melee and Brawl. The upcoming demo will have 29 playable characters.

For the people following the project since the thread was posted on Smashboards 2 years ago, this game is exactly what they've been wanting for years, and there is already a small but growing dedicated fanbase waiting to play the game. But for many people, the question is, "why should I play Project M when I could be playing Melee?" That's why I'm making this topic. You should play this game because Project M is not Melee. It is a spiritual "sequel" to Melee; hypothetically, what Brawl could have been when it was first announced. It is intended to feel like a whole new game, professionally built so you will feel like you're playing an actual retail game made by good developers.

So here's the thing. I urge everybody here who has the means of playing the demo to try it when it comes out. Try playing it for a day. Try out some new Brawl characters. Try some old characters with their new techniques or their better buffs if they were bad in Melee. Try your familiar matchups on some new or improved stages. Just try something. You never know if you'll find a new thing that you'll fall in love with if you don't give the game a shot.

Project M isn't aiming to replace Melee. You can still play both games at the same times it's not like P:M tournaments are gonna be driving out Melee tournaments or anything. It's just that this is here so you can have something new to play as an alternative. I'm sure most people here didn't expect to continue playing Melee after Smash 3 came out; it was only after Brawl deviated too far from Melee that you decided to stick this game. So don't let Brawl's disappointment permanently shroud your eyes from all new Smash games. Project M is trying to revive all the expectations that you had for a new game before Brawl dropped them.

So that's pretty much it. This turned out longer than I wanted and sounds kind of desparate, but that's not my intention. You guys here on the Melee board should be more mature and open-minded than most non-Smash players on other gaming sites, so that's why I brought this here. I honestly think that almost all of you could enjoy Project M as long as you give it more than a passing glance and don't immediately discard it for being a mod.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#2-hotdogturtle--(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2012 12:33:42 AM
I will leave you all with this hype video, which is not the official trailer, but IMO is better than it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCyjl4JdiE
---
#3-hotdogturtle--(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2012 12:59:54 AM
And I forgot to say, if you have any questions or concerns about the game, or you have some other reasons that you don't want to play it that you'd like to talk about, or even if you want to say how much fun you had after the demo comes out on Sunday, I want to use this topic to discuss it.
---
#4Moogled_Posted 4/13/2012 6:50:29 AM
Joke Topic?
---
member of the sam jackson alliance
maybe even the president ^ m i rite
#5sleepy_kPosted 4/13/2012 6:55:43 AM
strongly disliked a lot of the builds, maybe this one will change my opinion.
---
http://youtube.com/user/durhamred
http://www.cafepress.com/sleepyk
#6KeatstaPosted 4/13/2012 7:53:19 AM
I see no reason why I absolutely couldn't stop playing Melee entirely for this. I just wish they'd also change some textures to try to make things look more like Melee, too. So many of the new character designs are way too busy and ugly.
---
with your girlfriend eating chips
#7Yugioh masterPosted 4/13/2012 8:37:33 AM
last time i played PM it was still floaty or idk you kinda felt very light, it could be the camera and sound effects mang
marth timing on aerials was off and overall it was very different
i didnt disliked it but it didnt felt meleeish yet mang
---
Playing card games is like sex; you usually do it on a table and you always feel deep shame when its finished, also the older you get the less fun it is.
#8sa2masterPosted 4/13/2012 9:16:52 AM
the biggest problem i have with project m is the character design and modification. most of the melee low tier and brawl-only characters seem to have very contrived gameplay.

i think what they've managed to do so far is really impressive, but the team's character direction is distancing it from melee and 64. it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's different enough from the previous smash games that people who are in love with melee won't leave for it.
---
whos your favorite character mines captain falcon
moonwalk into l-cancel is good
#9davyheinzPosted 4/13/2012 12:12:24 PM
I have the first demo and it is pretty nice. Obviously they still had some problems with tethers and stuff at that point, and maybe still do(?), but the stuff they crank out is pretty awesome. I'm waiting for the second demo already, but I honestly don't play the original demo much.

1) Nobody around to play Smash with usually, let alone a modded Brawl game that isn't mainstream enough yet.

2) Didn't have as much as I would like. With new Metal Cavern stage, Old Hyrule 64 stage, and other things, I can nostalgia all day long and really feel like I'm able to play something new on the oldest game, since it is basically my favorite. If this demo has more 64 things in the game, I will probably play it more.

3) The problem with demos is that I don't feel like I should necessarily include them in tournaments. If the game was finished, more or less, then I would definitely push some friends and TOs around here to get a P:M tournament going whenever they have Brawl/Melee.
---
Consistent gamertag: XKCP
#10_Ferdi_Posted 4/13/2012 9:45:31 PM
looks like it would play familiar
---
What's your favorite song? Something you listen to a bunch and it sounds like the first time.