This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help catching the Giant Beetle?

#1Foxy BoyPosted 7/1/2009 8:56:24 PM
The "Insect Catching FAQ", which seems to be the more reliable of the two insect-oriented AC games, says to look for the Giant Beetle from 11 PM to 8 AM, starting in July, which of course it is now in the US. I walked all around my town searching for it, over a combined total of more than 2 hours...

... My question is, is it that rare, am I just incredibly unfortunate, is it only catchable on the island, or is the FAQ wrong? I'll only have two more insects to go after I catch it, and I'm just frankly losing patience.

And help appreciated, natch. Thanx in advance.
---
Yes, I lurk. It's what I do.
Which is why I can never go back to Carl's Jr.
#2Foxy Boy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2009 8:11:11 AM
Well, I caught one. Thing is, it looked so much like the Flat Stag Beetle, only fatter, that I thought I'd just caught another Flat Stag until I read the script that followed.

Now just to find a Banded Dragonfly...
---
#3Foxy Boy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2009 8:46:14 AM
Wow. I caught the BD only 30 minutes after I started trying to do so... Extreme good luck on my part, the big sucker just happened to flying right towards me after I walked into an acre. But from the 5 or 6 times I saw it before that good fortune, I'd already become pissed enough to relish the victory.
After all...

... It flies in a straight, unyielding line, then rockets away into space after 2-4 seconds. That's hardly enough time to spot it, recognize it and start heading its direction before it's gone.

... I have "perfect town" status, which means trees are everywhere in most every acre. Hindered visibility, anyone?

... This just had to be the time of year with the most amount of insects. Need a BD, but let's show you a Jewel Beetle, three types of cicadas, a million butterflies and some ladybugs thrown in for good measure, before even considering the BD.

... Hit detection is not perfect, by a long shot. Think you caught something? Not for long! Watch in amazement as it flies right through your net like flatulence!

Heh, only one insect left uncaught, and it's the Grasshopper. Didn't think that would end up my last mission.
---
#4NintendoDadPosted 7/7/2009 2:44:06 PM
I've found that the easiest way to catch a Giant Beatle is off of a fruit tree on your island, sometime after midnight.
---
"Animal Crossing -- It's not just a game...it's a vacation." -- ND
#5Foxy Boy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2009 11:40:52 PM
Problem is, I have no access to the island, Used to have a GC - GBA cable, but a shady former friend ripped it off from me, among other electronics. >_<
---