This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Soundtrack-pedia guide project: Kingdom Hearts 1 +FM

#1Zak6009Posted 1/1/2013 12:24:44 PM
Hey all.

So I've already shared most of this project with the KH3D board (since that's the most active one at the moment), but for those who don't, here's the lowdown:

So a while ago I noticed that it surprisingly hasn't been done before, so I've been working on this KH music-pedia project thing, which is basically a list of the OST music for all seven games (FM's included), and at what points they play/are used throughout them. Since a lot of the handhelds borrow from the others and such.

So I'm almost done with it, all I have left is KH2/FM, I've been posting my progress/lists for each game on the KH3D board (since it is the most active), so they're buried there (don't have them uploaded anywhere official, but I think for now I might submit them here as FAQs).

Anyway, was saving the two big games for last and just now finished the KH1 one. Posted it on the 3D board, but figured I'd post it here too since this board is semi-active as well.

Feedback would be appreciated! I usually have the scenes listed by what Theater Mode calls them unless it's too generic, but KH1 doesn't have Theater Mode, so the scenes are listed in my own words (and KH13.com's).

Dearly Beloved – Menu
Hikari Kingdom Orchestra Instrumental – Menu Movie
Hikari PlanitB Remix – Opening Movie
Dive Into the Heart Destati – Awakening Tutorials/Darkside 1
Destiny Islands – Destiny Islands
Bustin' It Up On the Beach – Destiny Islands Dueling
Mickey Mouse Club March – Donald In Disney Castle/Alice's Trial
Treasured Memories – Secret Place Graffiti Flashback
Strange Whispers – Connected World/Hades Questions Hiring Cloud/To the Desert!/The Heartless Obey Me Now/Young Riku Sees Keyhole/Riku Accepts His Darkness
Kairi I – Once We Set Sail
It Began with a Letter – The King's Letter
A Walk In Andante – Jiminy Cricket (Spiral Stairs)
Night of Fate – Destiny Islands Shadows/Traverse Town Battle (Before Guard Armor)
Destiny's Force – Darkside 2/Opposite Armor/Genie Jafar/Parasite Cage 2/Oogie's Manor Shadow Globs/Phantom/Behemoth (Hollow Bastion)/Darkside 3
Where Is This? – Traverse Town Arrival
Traverse Town – Traverse Town
The Heartless Has Come – Third District Lockdown/Guard Armor Arrival/Trickmaster Appears
Shrouding Dark Cloud – Guard Armor/Trickmaster/Cloud (First Time Losable)/Guard Armor 2/Pot Centipede/Parasite Cage 1/Anti-Sora
Blast Away 1 – Donald and Goofy Depart/Gummi Ship Worlds 1-4
Tricksy Clock – Wonderland Arrival
Welcome to Wonderland – Wonderland
To Our Surprise – Wonderland Battle
Turning the Key – Locking Keyholes
Olympus Coliseum – Olympus Coliseum
Road to a Hero – Barrel Minigames
Go For It! – Coliseum Tournaments
No Time to Think – Cerberus Appears/Walking the Plank
Deep Jungle – Deep Jungle
Having a Wild Time – Deep Jungle Battle
Holy Bananas! – Jungle Slider
Squirming Evil – Cerberus/Clayton and Stealth Sneak/Jafar/Ursula 1/Oogie Boogie/Hook/Maleficent (Normal)/Hades
Hand In Hand – Traverse Town Battle (After Guard Armor)
Kairi II – Merlin's House Kairi Hallucination/Kairi's Lucky Charm
Merlin's Magical House – Merlin's House
Winnie the Pooh – 100-Acre Wood
Bounce-O-Rama – 100-Acre Wood Minigames
Just an Itty Bitty Too Much – Pooh Gets Stuck
Once Upon a Time – 100-Acre Wood Keyhole Locked
Shipmeister's Humoresque – Gummi Garage
Precious Stars In the Sky – Map
Blast Away 2 – Gummi Ship Worlds 5-9
#2Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 12:25:08 PM
A Day In Agrabah – Agrabah
Arabian Dream – Agrabah Battle
Villains of a Sort – Meeting of Villains/Perfectly Infuriating/Falling Into Our Hands/Replaced with New Companions/Maleficent Warns Jafar/Riku Helping Maleficent/Riku Still Cares/The Power to Control the Heartless/Ursula Schemes/Ursula Plays Ariel/Stealing the Trident/Triton Hurt/Wendy Not One of Them/Lifeless Kairi On Ship/Hook Ambush On Deck/Riku's Full Potential/Princesses Reveal Keyhole/Maleficent Castle Chapel Ambush
A Very Small Wish – Monstro
Monstrous Monstro – Monstro Battle
Friends In My Heart – “There's a Monster In There!”/I Really Flew/Strength of Heart Against Hercules
Under the Sea – Atlantica
An Adventure In Atlantica – Atlantica Battle
A Piece of Peace – Ariel's Collection/Peter and Wendy/All Dalmatians Back Home
An Intense Situation – Glut Crashes Into Ship/Goofy Deflects Riku's Darkness/”No Way You're Taking Kairi's Heart!”
The Deep End – Ursula 2/Maleficent Dragon/Kurt Zisa/Rock Titan/Ice Titan/Ansem On Islands 1
This is Halloween – Halloween Town
Spooks of Halloween Town – Halloween Town Battle
Oopsy-Daisy – “How About Getting Off?” (Pirate Ship Arrival)
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship – Neverland Pirate Ship
Pirate's Gigue – Neverland Pirate Ship Battle
Neverland's Sky – Neverland Clock Tower
Kairi III – Kairi's Grandmother/Memories of Riku (FM)
Blast Away 3 – Gummi Ship Last Two Worlds
Hollow Bastion – Hollow Bastion
Scherzo Di Notte – Hollow Bastion Battle
Forze Del Male – Riku-Ansem Battle/Ansem On Islands 2
Hikari Kingdom Hearts Instrumental – Sora's Sacrifice
Miracle – Kairi's Light
End of the World – End of the World
Fragments of Sorrow – End of the World Battle
Guardando Nel Buio – Final World of Chaos Battles
Beyond the Door – Kingdom Hearts Is Light
Always On My Mind – Mickey Appears, Helps Close Door
Hikari – Ending Movie
March Caprice – Ending Credits
Hand In Hand Reprise – Follow Pluto's Lead
Dearly Beloved Reprise – Ending Screen

One Winged Angel – Sephiroth/Showdown of Fate (FM)
A Night On Bald Mountain – Chernabog
Disappeared – Enigmatic Man (Xemnas FM)
Another Side – Deep Dive (FM)
#3falconesquePosted 1/2/2013 9:40:00 AM(edited)
Tried Wikipedia.org? I recall seeing soundtrack listings there for the KH series OST compilation release.

Edit: Here's a direct link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Kingdom_Hearts

Of the three PS2 releases in North America, only ReCOM offers a Theater, and that identifies the scene, not the music tracks.

Suggest labeling which is which, BTW, actual text strings versus your own inventions. No one in KH-FM is named Xemnas, for instance. However "obvious" that may seem, it's still speculation. SE can alway revise history again to prove the spec false, as they have so often.

Spoiler tags would likewise be welcome on any plot points if identifying the scene spoiler-free is too difficult — especially on this board for anything in a game other than KH or KH-FM. This is ground zero for new players, after all, so a little extra caution is alway appreciated.

Another board you may find interesting, also active:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684080-kingdom-hearts-hd-15-remix

Heh, since some might take slight offense at "semi-active", be sure to take a quick look here, too:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2

If you post to some wiki somewhere, BTW, thanks for citing your sources.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 12:33:10 PM
falconesque posted...
Tried Wikipedia.org? I recall seeing soundtrack listings there for the KH series OST compilation release.

Edit: Here's a direct link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Kingdom_Hearts

Of the three PS2 releases in North America, only ReCOM offers a Theater, and that identifies the scene, not the music tracks.

Um, yeah, that page has all the OST releases listed. I actually used it to look at the order the tracks were on the OST. What's your point though? It doesn't say what plays where, which is what the point of this whole thing is.

Right, I meant I used the Theater Mode names to label the scenes in which certain tracks play. i.e. what is on the right side of the dash in my table thing. Unless the scene in question had multiple tracks so I would have to divide it up and identify in my own words the point in which they play.
Or, if it was a text-box scene not in Theater Mode (as many in 358/2 Days) I would have to come up with something of my own to call it.

Suggest labeling which is which, BTW, actual text strings versus your own inventions. No one in KH-FM is named Xemnas, for instance. However "obvious" that may seem, it's still speculation. SE can alway revise history again to prove the spec false, as they have so often.

Touche about the Xemnas thing, but if you're saying to identify whether it's a name taken from theater mode or a name I made up (as explained above), I don't think it's necessary. Theater Mode is just an occasional reference to identify scenes to make it easier.
Also, sometimes when I come up with something of my own to call the scenes, it's a quote from the scene. That can be technically an "actual string of text", so... it'd just be confusing. The track names are ALL Square's name, but I think that's self-explanatory, most people know them.

Spoiler tags would likewise be welcome on any plot points if identifying the scene spoiler-free is too difficult — especially on this board for anything in a game other than KH or KH-FM. This is ground zero for new players, after all, so a little extra caution is alway appreciated.

Well, aside from the Xemnas thing, this doesn't really spoil anything for those who haven't played past KH/FM.

Another board you may find interesting, also active:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684080-kingdom-hearts-hd-15-remix

Hah, you think I don't know about 1.5? I'm a regular on the DDD board :P
But yeah I'm actually gonna run this by 1.5 eventually to see if there are any differences.

Heh, since some might take slight offense at "semi-active", be sure to take a quick look here, too:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2

If you post to some wiki somewhere, BTW, thanks for citing your sources.

People would take offense at that? Well, the KH3D board usually has every latest post on the first page from today. This board, the latest posts on the first page seem to go back a week or too. So you can understand me calling it 'semi-active'.

Also not sure if sarcasm, but my 'sources' are playing the game again and listing down tracks as I go. As for knowing the names of the tracks, I just happen to know them like the back of my hand, many people on the internet do, they're pretty common knowledge in some circles. The only 'source' to cite for that would be Square/Shimomura themselves.
Yes, I did mention KH13.com for scene descriptions (because of no Theater Mode in KH1). But that was barely any, since a lot of their scene-names were vague anyway.
#5falconesquePosted 1/3/2013 9:16:13 AM
Zak6009 posted...
...which is what the point of this whole thing is.

Thanks for clarifying that. It's wasn't apparent.

...for those who haven't played past KH/FM.

This board is for KH and KH-FM. Players who haven't yet played also deserve spoiler warnings.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're offended by my comments. You may not be accustomed to this elseboard, but here we generally try to be helpful and friendly, rather than taking potshots at passersby. A bit old-fashioned, but presume sincerity.

Many visitors don't know of the board for 1.5 ReMix, for instance.

There's no "Theater Mode" in ReCOM. The menu reads simply "Theater". It's almost the equivilent of saying "New Game Mode", which may deflate whatever you're composing into being taken as silliness. See what I mean?

Also of note, in ReCOM the Theater option doesn't appear on the menu until after completing playthroughs for each part. Hence, all those titles are spoiler stuff.

I appreciate accuracy, I do. The embellishments, like the Awakening vicinity so often touted as "Dive Into The Heart", distract from the point.

My point is this: If you're just creating something for yourself, it's all FWIW of course so ignore it as you please. If you'll post the info as a resource itself, however, then thanks for receiving the criticism with the best of intentions.
---
#6Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 2:40:44 PM
falconesque posted...
Zak6009 posted...
...which is what the point of this whole thing is.

Thanks for clarifying that. It's wasn't apparent.

...for those who haven't played past KH/FM.

This board is for KH and KH-FM. Players who haven't yet played also deserve spoiler warnings.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're offended by my comments. You may not be accustomed to this elseboard, but here we generally try to be helpful and friendly, rather than taking potshots at passersby. A bit old-fashioned, but presume sincerity.

Many visitors don't know of the board for 1.5 ReMix, for instance.

There's no "Theater Mode" in ReCOM. The menu reads simply "Theater". It's almost the equivilent of saying "New Game Mode", which may deflate whatever you're composing into being taken as silliness. See what I mean?

Also of note, in ReCOM the Theater option doesn't appear on the menu until after completing playthroughs for each part. Hence, all those titles are spoiler stuff.

I appreciate accuracy, I do. The embellishments, like the Awakening vicinity so often touted as "Dive Into The Heart", distract from the point.

My point is this: If you're just creating something for yourself, it's all FWIW of course so ignore it as you please. If you'll post the info as a resource itself, however, then thanks for receiving the criticism with the best of intentions.

I'm not 'offended', I was just simply responding to what I didn't agree with. In fact I appreciate the feedback. :)

I just don't understand what the point is of clarifying the difference between "theater" and "theater mode", they are the same thing just in different words on the menu. Do you see a difference other than that? Because I don't. It is called "Theater Mode" in other games, so I'm sure people would know what I'm talking about and not 'deflate it to silliness'.

Anyway, if I do post it on a wiki, I will try to make a difference in what are actual 'strings of text'. Though, there will probably be very few which are not my own inventions, seeing as some names that theater uses are a bit generic and could apply to many things. Also, some names Theater uses are straight enough to the point that I may as well have come up with them on my own. "Alice's Trial" for instance. That's what it is, it's Alice's ****ing trial, haha straight and to the point, sure Theater may call it that, but without even looking at it that's what I would call it, why would anyone call it anything besides that?

Also, I apologize for the spoiler. But besides the Xemnas thing, where else are there spoilers in my post?

But like I said, right now I'm thinking of posting them as FAQs on here for each of the, and maybe on my own site. Some games have a "Soundtrack FAQ" among them, so this would fit it quite well. Any criticism I get I'll apply the changes if I agree. Maybe actual strings of text will go in quotes or something, will figure it out.

Like I said though, right now the only public places they are posted are mostly buried in the 3D board here as well as their respective boards. So... I can't really edit them (not sure if I get the ability to when I receive more karma, if that happens I will). But these are rough drafts. In fact, some of the ones that have been posted I HAVE applied some changes to.
It's also probably too late for someone of my rank to edit the above couple posts here, unfortunately. I probably would have if I could, and don't get me wrong I do appreciate the feedback.
#7falconesquePosted 1/4/2013 9:07:04 AM
Zak6009 posted...
I just don't understand what the point is of clarifying the difference between "theater" and "theater mode", they are the same thing just in different words on the menu.

If you'd said "theater mode", yes, but you didn't. Capitalizing "mode" makes it part of the command on the menu, which might confuse readers into looking for what they're not seeing.

Plus too much unnecessary capitalization makes a Simple List into Something Very Difficult to read, and inflates The Phrase's Importance. See What I Mean? In writing, it's known as "deifying" a phrase.

Also ... where else are there spoilers in my post?

Anything that isn't mentioned on the game's case or revealed within the first five minutes. That's the measure for published reviews here. That's the conservative mark if you'll publish.

Location names can substitute, often enough. I ran into this with ReCOM. Everyone was quoting boss names, and boss names are sometimes far more than some players want to know in advance. With ReCOM there are special considerations, that Theater reflects the world order of the last saved game.

If you publish, consider replacing any "shorthand" references, like Riku-Ansem. Take a fresh look at the KH-FM FAQs posted and how they addressed the special secrets, and how dated that can seem now.

It's also probably too late for someone of my rank to edit the above couple posts here, unfortunately.

If you can edit a post, the time limit is within one hour. The timing doesn't increase AFAIK.

Cheers, and best wishes with your project.
---