This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about "Room" names...

#1Zak6009Posted 1/2/2013 11:55:50 PM
As in, names of zones/areas in the game (I think the official terminology is "room"). Like what you see at the top when you pull up the menu saying where they are. Or what you see when you're about to enter somewhere (NOT always though, as with "Hotel" and "Exit Tent" or other places you exit, among other such where you see "???" the first like Aladdin's House).

So... a lot of such zones where you fight bosses and don't get a chance to pull up the menu or return to, appear to be unnamed. Like the place you fight Genie-Jafar, or where you fight Ursula the second time.

However... according to various sources, some do have names. For instance, Ursula's battle room is called "Open Ocean". My question is, where did that name come from? That place is unreachable without Mermaid Kick, and you only get it once that second battle is triggered, and it's marked as "???" when you approach it, and after that it's blocked by rocks. So where are they pulling that name from? Hacking?
#2shadowfreak1101Posted 1/3/2013 12:49:22 AM
Most likely. It's how people found out the names to many of the cutscene and one time only rooms in KH2 (such as Scar's Darkness as the alternate form of the Peak, Villains Vale, pretty much every part of Atlantica that isn't Undersea Courtyard or Triton's Throne, The World of Nothing, to name a few) so I can only guess they did the same for KH1 as well.
---
Things I learned from Earthbound: Toothbrushes blind people, mushrooms are evil, and trees explode when they die.
#3Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 2:09:10 AM
Well, technically all you'd need is a cheat to get Mermaid Kick early.
#4falconesquePosted 1/3/2013 9:30:08 AM(edited)
Get yourself a really good text editor, one that can handle the sometimes massive file sizes, and start scrolling. Even MS Word will open "any file".

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

FWIW, you'll find examples of how I handled the absence of names in the Statistics Guide, posted on the FAQs page and at my sig link. Vague works, names aren't needed.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#5Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 2:50:08 PM(edited)
falconesque posted...
Get yourself a really good text editor, one that can handle the sometimes massive file sizes, and start scrolling. Even MS Word will open "any file".

Um okay, for what purpose? Scrolling where? Are you sure you're even in the right topic?

If not, then excuse me for being unable to decipher your cryptic subtext you are trying to wittily convey.

Why I ask? Curiosity, you answered your own question. :)
#6falconesquePosted 1/4/2013 9:23:50 AM(edited)
Most regulars know I'm older than dirt. I err to polite. I wasn't trying to be witty.

I've hunted for text strings in files*, and that's how I do it: Open a file on the game disc then scroll through the text. If there's a room or zone name to be found, that's where you'll find it.

You could ask whoever used the name where they found it, of course.

* Example, http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/okage_enemies.html
(May need to set encoding to Shift-JIS.)
---
#7Zak6009(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 9:27:41 PM
falconesque posted...
Most regulars know I'm older than dirt. I err to polite. I wasn't trying to be witty.

I've hunted for text strings in files*, and that's how I do it: Open a file on the game disc then scroll through the text. If there's a room or zone name to be found, that's where you'll find it.

You could ask whoever used the name where they found it, of course.

* Example, http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/okage_enemies.html
(May need to set encoding to Shift-JIS.)

So you're saying that putting the PS2 disc in the computer would allow me to see the files and source and whatnot?

Well, not everyone in the world knows that, thank you. Skipping that made me think you were trying to be.

And yes I can ask whoever used the name and where they found it, but I didn't. All those places are on random websites/wikis, who knows how active they are or which one would be more likely to answer. The fact that it is on multiple sites led me to believe that someone here might know the answer, and I know this boards are likely to be active... and hey, my instincts were correct!
#8UpyersPosted 1/17/2013 1:38:58 AM
in atalantica after sealing the keyhole im pretty sure you can go back to the final fight with ursala and get the name of the location there
---
PSN: Upyers My top 5 fave FFs: 7, 5, 9, 2, and 4
Reverb: reverbnation.com/kingblink
#9falconesquePosted 1/17/2013 9:42:58 AM
Nah, the tunnel is blocked with debris.
---
#10UpyersPosted 1/17/2013 4:37:41 PM
o weird i remember goin there in an old playthrough(first i think) must been a dream or something lol
---
PSN: Upyers My top 5 fave FFs: 7, 5, 9, 2, and 4
Reverb: reverbnation.com/kingblink