This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game is better than I thought it would be.

#1DragoonGriffithPosted 7/1/2013 4:15:13 PM
I was fully expecting a cheesefest and cringy dialogue.

Now I did get those, but I also got quite some charm out of this game.

I'm enjoying it. Only the combat can and is for the most part a bit simplistic, which does bother me a bit.

Magic doesn't seem half as useful as just mashing attack, and it's better to preserve MP for healing (or at least that's what I got out of it).

I can count on one hand moments where magic was crucial maybe.

But that all isn't as important and I'm having fun regardless. I wasn't expecting the game to pull me in with the worlds and characters, and most of all the atmosphere in some of those worlds.
I hope the latter KH live up to this charm. I like that the game isn't taking itself too seriously all the time.
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
#2KathrynsDadPosted 7/1/2013 8:16:11 PM
Yeah, it does suck you in.

Granted you can get through with button mashing. Consider that younger kids will play it, they need a way to get through. But judicious use of magic can be very rewarding. Consider the use of Thunder in the Clayton boss fight, keeping him off balance. Or Thunder in general for fights with lots of Heartless. Gravity for the Fat Bandits and Large Bodies, plus flying characters. Blizzard as a semi-range projectile. Try a few things, you might be pleasantly surprised.
#3GlavewurmPosted 7/2/2013 6:46:38 AM
Magic doesn't seem half as useful as just mashing attack

Mashing attack and Cure will get you through fine, but magic can speed things up or overall make them more efficient.
Fire will kill a Large Body quite a bit faster early game than Attack will, plus you don't have to flank.
Mid-game and onward Stop can be useful for keeping an opening open, or just all around being great.
Late game Gravity kills faster than most things (it does percentage of current HP damage, and it is possible to get the percentage above 100. 14 MP late game, 9...? to do it mid game).
And throughout the game Thunder is one of the strongest offenses, only held back by mana, and the damage cap on bosses.
Some people love Aero for defense (I think it just gets in the way of MP Rage).
Blizzard is... okay, I guess. It's sorta in-between Thunder and Fire, but I'd rather have one of those.

I hope the latter KH live up to this charm.

Um...Well, I'll be straight with you.
KH1 tries for the whole fairy tale approach in large part because it was expected to be stand alone. When they made it a series, they lose it, mostly. It becomes any other japanese shonen. With very shonen tropes and plots. The Disney charm shows up here and there, but it becomes the exception, not the rule.
---
I would not mind you in my head, if you were not so clearly mad.
#4DragoonGriffith(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 3:52:41 AM
Noticed that Magic does speed up things.
Especially using Gravira (or Graviga?) against the Shield enemies in Hollow Bastion.

Other than that, I also noticed I've been using the same old Keyblade for almost the entirety of the game *facepalm*.
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
#5KathrynsDadPosted 7/3/2013 7:13:05 AM
Yeah, Gravity is awesome against Defenders. After Hollow Bastion, head on into the Third District in Traverse Town for some fun fights. Start at the save point (full of Mana), into the Third District, spam Gravity, back out to save point to trigger respawn, back again. Bambi is good for spamming magic too.

Did you actually get to Hollow Bastion on the Kingdom Key? I was fairly clueless on my first runthrough and had it through Atlantica. Was going to give up there because I couldn't beat Ursula. If you got even further without switching out, kudos.
#6DragoonGriffith(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 11:54:47 AM(edited)
KathrynsDad posted...

Did you actually get to Hollow Bastion on the Kingdom Key? I was fairly clueless on my first runthrough and had it through Atlantica. Was going to give up there because I couldn't beat Ursula. If you got even further without switching out, kudos.

Yeah, it was after the fight with Dragon Maleficent that I switched Keyblades.
Well, things like this can happen lol (I think).

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the suggestion. I might just grind there then a bit.
---
#7InnerSolacePosted 7/3/2013 1:28:12 PM(edited)
Still one of the best games I've ever played.

I first played this game back when I was 12 years old. I have such fond memories of Kingdom Hearts...from Destiny Island, all the way to the very end of the game. The music, the atmosphere, the charm; everything about Kingdom Hearts is just wonderful, and also very special and important to my heart.

Kingdom Hearts II really has the better gameplay, but I find that Kingdom Hearts's gameplay is still pretty enjoyable to this day; it's aged pretty well IMO.
---
"Gaming? Booze? Hot girl? HOT DAMN, this is my kind of time!"
#8XxHAVIC101xXPosted 7/4/2013 12:39:18 PM
Yeah, I hardly ever mash attack in Kingdom Hearts anymore. (At least, when I could still play it.) It's much more efficient to make use of your options. I always start the game with the staff in order to have more MP and to get the abilities associated with it more quickly.
---
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8308/thederescaleec0.jpg
#9DragoonGriffith(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 5:57:58 PM
XxHAVIC101xX posted...
Yeah, I hardly ever mash attack in Kingdom Hearts anymore. (At least, when I could still play it.) It's much more efficient to make use of your options. I always start the game with the staff in order to have more MP and to get the abilities associated with it more quickly.

Well it's nice to see a familiar face here. xD

Yeah, Magic saved my ass more than once towards the end (just beat it now), and I'm sure it would've helped earlier even more.

But man, Ansem was a SOB. Died a couple of times from those lasers.
Aeroga helped.
---