This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Ariel not a princess of heart?

#1urchin8Posted 1/3/2014 1:21:26 AM
Alice is the only non-princess princess of heart, and she probably counts as one with a "heart full of light" but, why is Ariel not? She is a princess after all, and with a heart of light as well. I have played this entire series and I still cannot come up with a good reason for this. It might be just how they did things and maybe I'm thinking too much into it. But if anyone has an idea, it would be great to know
#2SinisterSandmanPosted 1/3/2014 2:05:59 AM
There are several topics about this in the archives, if you search through the topics for 'princess of heart' and 'Alice'.

As far as I recall, the best we could come up with was that Ariel being one would be too much like fulfilling her ambition than actually being an inconvenience, and also she'd have to be confined to water wherever she ended up. Or grow legs, which would, again, be a dream fulfilled.

Being a Princess of Heart was supposed to come off as more negative than Ariel's being one would allow, basically.
---
Gum-Gum Gummi Ship: Blueprint Active!
"The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Let's have some fun!"
#3DamienMaryamPosted 1/3/2014 2:29:07 AM
I always thought it was the same reason Mulan isn't considered a princess, they're fighters. They're not cut out to sit and wait for anyone, they prefer taking matters into their own hands.
#4falconesquePosted 1/3/2014 10:13:56 AM
urchin8 posted...
I still cannot come up with a good reason for this.

She'd flop on the ground like a landed fish. Good enough reason for me, too. :j

Try reverse engineering it instead, with the question rather: How could Ariel take her place? You'd need to sell the notion to Disney, remember, without rashing the feature film.

There're KH-related tales at fanfiction.net, last I look. If you come up with something good, might be worth considering.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#5phiefer3Posted 1/4/2014 9:49:31 PM
I think the only real reason is simply "because".

There's no real reason for why she *couldn't* be, because they could have written the story that way if they'd have liked. The Altantica story could have gone a lot more similarly to the movie with her being stolen away at the end while the party was finishing off Ursala (sort of the way Jasmine got kidnapped). I don't really think the "too similar to her goals" would have been an issue, because she'd still be kidnapped and imprisoned, which I'm sure she wouldn't want. In a sense it'd actually be worse for her than the others rather than better because she'd be so close to her dream only to have it twisted into something unpleasant.

Best I can think of for why they chose not to go that way with it, might have been the lack of someone else to be your world-specific party member. By that point they've become a staple of each world since Deep Jungle (except for Monstro), and there really wouldn't have been anyone else. Eric or Triton could have possibly worked I suppose, but Triton would seem a bit too powerful of a character to be a party member, and Eric probably wouldn't know enough about what was happening until the end of the story to be in the party. Plus, if they went with a more movie-like story then Atlantica would have probably covered both ocean and land areas, making both Eric and Triton impractical as neither would be able to go both places (unless....Triton with legs!?), and for that matter nobody would have really worked for being a party member both in water and on land....except for Ariel herself which brings us back where we started: she's really the only choice for a party member in Atlantica.

Plus, there are lots of disney princesses, and they're all typically "pure of heart", and you can ask the same question of "why not her" about any one of them, and the only difference between any of them and Ariel is that their worlds weren't in the game, but then neither were most of the worlds of the princesses of heart. Plus it's not like there's any special reason for why any of the other princess's worlds weren't in the game either, that was also just a matter of how they decided to write it.
---
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
phiefer3-I must be a glutton for punishment but I'm going to attempt to edumacate the Veghbot
#6DevilSpookyPosted 1/5/2014 4:18:24 PM
Real-world answer, for her to be a POH the part of the movie where she grows legs had to already happen and she couldn't be a party member, Nomura didn't want that.

In-universe answer, a POH has no darkness in her heart, Ariel actually have darkness in hers, as little as may be but still has.
---
Open your heart, surrender it to the darkness and become darkness itself
#7JEV4Posted 1/15/2014 4:08:32 PM
it was a planning screw up on Square's end. they got all the way to the end of development and realized they didn't put a story thread about Ariel getting legs in Atlantica and so they hastily replaced with her Alice. unfortunate mess up that's now going to have to remain canon forever unfortunately.
#8SinisterSandmanPosted 1/16/2014 4:09:57 AM
JEV4 posted...
it was a planning screw up on Square's end. they got all the way to the end of development and realized they didn't put a story thread about Ariel getting legs in Atlantica and so they hastily replaced with her Alice. unfortunate mess up that's now going to have to remain canon forever unfortunately.

Source?
---
Gum-Gum Gummi Ship: Blueprint Active!
"The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Let's have some fun!"
#9ChemazanPosted 1/20/2014 6:13:07 PM
Because of fish