KOTOR on a widescreen monitor? Windowed mode?

#1Alucard188(Moderator)Posted 2/14/2008 12:42:52 PM
I noticed that KOTOR doesn't allow you to natively set it in windowed mode. I also noticed that they don't have any widescreen resolutions in the default resolution options, which is messing up my texture graphics due to constant flickering in between loading sequences. Is there any way I can fix this?
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#2Alucard188(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 2/14/2008 12:44:03 PM
Also, I'm currently running a dual monitor set up (max resolutions 1680x1050 primary, 1280x1024 secondary).
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#3cogadhPosted 2/14/2008 1:14:58 PM

KotOR does allow windowed mode, you just need to modify a single file to ativate it. In the game's install directory is a file called swkotor.ini. Open that file in Notepad and scroll down to the section marked [Graphics Options]. Under [Graphics Options] add the following line:

AllowWindowedMode=1

Then look for a line that says "FullScreen=1" and change it to "FullScreen=0". Save the file, then run the game, it will now open in a window.

Alternatively, there is a fan-made patcher utility that will scale the game up to widescreen resolutions. It can be found here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/UniWS

#4palingenesisPosted 2/15/2008 8:46:46 PM
i was hoping for a widescreen patch! thanks!
---
A split second of man made perfection, dialog, speed, and direction.
#52Cold_ScorpioPosted 2/16/2008 6:28:13 AM
There is a widescreen patch, but it isn't perfect. Search for Universal Widescreen Patcher. My advice: patch the resolution that is closest to the height of the resolution that you'll be using without going over it (example, if you want to play in 1680x1050, patch the 1280x1024 resolution, not 1600x1200.). I have it working perfect (or as close as this patch allows) this way in 1680x1050 with the UI going *alomost* all the way to the bottom, and the text options still visable. To answer a question, no the UI does not scale wit hyour custom resolution, but the way I did it it still looks good enough. Other users have reported problems with other resolutions, so a little experimenting may be in order if you want to use soemthing besides 1680x1050.
---
2Cold Scorpio, Rogues' Guild class 1A
http://www.guildcom.us
#6CokaCola CatPosted 2/16/2008 9:41:39 AM
There is a website for widescreen gaming, I'd have to dig it up, but they have a step by step guide on making KotOR play widescreen on their forums. The results are a tad better than the patcher.

---
The Cat
"I got cat class and I got cat style"
#7cogadhPosted 2/16/2008 12:10:40 PM

I think you are referring to the site I linked to in my earlier post, www.widescreengamingforum.com

If so, then the fix they posted on the forums is essentially the same exact thing that the UniWS patcher already does automatically. As 2Cold_Scorpio said, its not perfect and you may need to fiddle with it a bit, but it does work. Plus, by using the UniWS patcher, you don't have to mess with hex editing an executable, which can be a pain.

#8CokaCola CatPosted 2/16/2008 12:54:27 PM
Yes, you are correct, my bad for not reading the full thread. :)

---
The Cat
#9usaaaaaaPosted 2/17/2008 10:16:16 PM
cogadh posted...

KotOR does allow windowed mode, you just need to modify a single file to ativate it. In the game's install directory is a file called swkotor.ini. Open that file in Notepad and scroll down to the section marked [Graphics Options]. Under [Graphics Options] add the following line:

AllowWindowedMode=1

Then look for a line that says "FullScreen=1" and change it to "FullScreen=0". Save the file, then run the game, it will now open in a window.

Alternatively, there is a fan-made patcher utility that will scale the game up to widescreen resolutions. It can be found here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/UniWS

there is a swkotor103, is that it?

#10CokaCola CatPosted 2/17/2008 10:53:09 PM
"swkotor.ini"

I've gone to windowed mode, I prefer it over the hacked resolution.

---
The Cat