KOTOR Best Items in the Game Guide

#1jgiddyPosted 12/8/2009 4:14:06 PM
I've noticed a lot of new players are discovering this wonderful game. If you're like me and like collecting the best equipment for your characters, here is a handy list.

Note: Yavin shop upgrades after the Third Star Map and after the 5th Star Map.

For Armors: I add the combined Defense + Max Defense.

MA= Immunity to Mind Affecting.

Mika's shop is unlocked after the 4th Star Map.

Headgear:
Circlet of Saresh (5 WIS) - Kashykk Ritual Beast, LIGHTSIDE only
Combat Sensor (2 DEX) - Manaan General Shop
Verpine Ocular Enhancer (1 DEX) - Korriban Czerka Rep
Advanced Bio Stab. (Immunities, +1 Saves) - Yavin (Third Star Map)

Headgear for Skills:
Advanced Agent Inter. (+7 to all skills)
The AAI is bought really late so it's useless.

Note: The Sith Mask is decent if you are a Soldier and have the Heavy Armor Feat.

Implants:
Advanced Alacrity (5 DEX) - Yavin 5th
Gordulan Reaction Sys (4 DEX) - Mika's shop Korriban
Cyber Reaction System (3 Dex) - Merchant Eli 1st Zone Kashykk
Advanced Sensory (2 DEX, AWR)- Yavin
Note: I would not recommend the CON implants.

Gloves:
Dominator Gauntlets (5 STR) - Mika's shop Korriban
Genoharadan Strength (4 STR) - Assassin Quests on Manaan, DARKSIDE chain
Advanced Stabilizer (3 DEX) - Yavin
Note: These are the best gloves in the game for a lot of your party members as
well. You can buy multiple copies, just visit Yavin each time it gets new
inventory.
Karakan (1 DEX, +Saves) - Tatooine 1st Zone Merchant

Belt:
Baragwin Stealth (3 DEX) - Yavin 5th
Adrenal (2 Dex, +Saves) - Mika Korriban
CNS Strength (2 STR, Saves) - Dantooine Crattis

Shields:
The game is easy enough to not require shields on Hard. I would recommend using
Energy Shields and selling the more expensive ones.

Light Armor:
Light Exo (13 DEF/2 str/1 Dex) - Yavin
Genoharadan Mesh (12 DEF/3 dex) - Assassin Quests on Manaan. Long DARKSIDE chain.
Darth Bandon's (12 DEF/MA) - Automatically Earned from Darth Bandon

Medium/Heavy Armor:
Generally if you have Medium you have Heavy
Heavy Exo (15 DEF/3 str/3 Con) - Yavin 3rd
Calo Nord's (13 DEF/MA/Crit immun) - Automatically from Calo Nord

Lightsaber: For XBOX, you can get a special Lightsaber by making Manaan your
third planet (and fourth Star Map) from Darth Bandon.

In general though, the best damage set-up is a double bladed Lightsaber with
Heart of the Guardian + Solari + Upari. The best set up versus Dark Jedi and Malaak
is Phond/Mantle/Solari.

The best damage set up in the game is an all Strength Jedi with Master Critical
Strike wielding two LS (Opila/MOTF/Solari) and (Opila/HOTG/Upari).

Pistol: Double Blaster Pistol setups do the most damage overall for Ranged.
Best 2 pistols are:
Cassus Fett's Heavy Pistol - Korriban B'ree
Saul's Sith Assassin Pistol - Leviathan Bridge. You will get this after your
Fourth Star Map.

Rifle: Rifles are sexier than Pistols.
Baragwin Ion-X Rifle - Yavin 3rd. This weapon is surprising the best.
Jamoh Hograh's Carbine - Tatooine Dock. Buy this immediately after you
can fly.

Heavy:
Baragwin Repeater - Yavin 5th.
Baragwin Assault - Yavin 3rd. I list the Assault Gun because it's
a huge upgrade you can buy after the 3rd Map.
Melee:
Baragwin Assault Blade - Yavin 3rd. You can buy two.
Bacca's Ceremonial Blade - Finish Kashykk

Droid Stuff:
Composite Heavy Plating (Armor) - Yavin 3rd
Superior Targetting (Sensor) - Leviathan

Mix and Match your skill items for what you need (not really important).

For tools, use the Baragwin stuff. You can buy the Shield from the 1st Yavin and
the other stuff from Yavin 3rd. Baragwin Droid stuff lets you reuse without
losing charges.

That does it for this guide. Feel free to ask questions.
#2sigma_1932Posted 12/9/2009 1:01:10 AM
I'm seeing a lot of DEX stuff there, and DEX-boosting gear is all but worthless in this game-- especially for the main character. Defense takes care of itself in this game, and Attack Bonus for Lightsabers can be gained, along with damage, by raising STR instead. Even for ranged attacking characters, using DEX-boosting items doesn't really add all that much... Most of the ranged attackers already get very high AC (due to armor, droid plating, or feats), so DEX just adds unnecessary points to Attack Bonus that really aren't noticable/needed.

That said, the CNS Strength Enhancer, Calrissian's Utility Belt, any Save-Boosting belts, and maybe Brejik's Belt on a bad day are the only waist-wear worth mentioning since they're the only ones that' have give any worthwhile bonuses. The only meaningful headgear is the Circlet of Saresh (LS), Sith Mask (Best DS), and any save-boosting items after those.

Somewhat ironically, the only implant with any remote general worth for the main character is actually the Cardio Power System (the +4 CON implant). Everything else is either extremely situational (i.e. skill related), gives something covered by another item or power (making the implant redundant), or the bonus it gives is overkill (i.e. anything that adds DEX).

Also, you forgot to mention Jedi Robes:

Lightside:
Star Forge Robes (DEF 5, MaxDEX +8, All Saves +2, WIS +5) -- obtained just before the end of the game.
Qel-Droma Robes (DEF 5, MaxDEX +8, WIS +2)

Darkside:
Darth Revan's Robes (DEF 5, MaxDEX +8, STR +4, HP Regen +1) -- obtained just before the end of the game.

"Grey" Jedi:
Jedi Master Robes (DEF 3, MaxDEX +8)
---
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!
#3Shaggy_HeruPosted 12/9/2009 3:33:07 PM
thanks for the info from both you guys

in response to sigma, dex boosting equipment can still be useful for a consular who has abandoned strength but still want to be able to hit enemies with their lightsaber attacks.
---
"whoa what's going on" - Blur
#4sigma_1932Posted 12/9/2009 10:39:32 PM
From a numbers standpoint, It's still better to put the points into STR for a consular if you're doing it for occasional lightsaber combat, because it'll add the same Attack Bonus as DEX would (For Lightsabers, whichever is higher between STR and DEX is used for attack bonus modifier), plus it adds damage as well, and if you're not taking offensive powers with your consular, you're likely taking at least a few buffs, which pretty much ensures that AC bonus from DEX would be overkill.
---
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!
#5Shaggy_HeruPosted 12/9/2009 11:26:30 PM
well to each his own, of course, but I just finished a playthrough with a scoundrel/consular with this build:

(starting stats --> final stats with equipment boosts --> final stats with equipment and valor)

STR - 8 --> 8 --> 13
DEX - 14 --> 24 --> 29
CON - 14 --> 14--> 19
INT - 10--> 10 --> 15
WIS - 15--> 30--> 35
CHA - 15--> 18--> 23

the idea behind the build was play to my strengths (adding to my already higher defense, focusing on force-related attributes), forsake strength completely and just buff my party the whole time and stasis anything that moves. if I did have to attack something on my own, or if everything was just already frozen, I could dispatch things fairly well with the combo of sneak attacks on stunned opponents and critical strikes with keen weapons.

it worked out rather well. I always do level 5 starting class / level 15 Jedi, so having the high dex bonus and defense helped me get through the early levels of the game a lot easier. and this doesn't have anything to do with dex or strength, but I was even able to stasis Malak in the final battle, wooo!
---
If Bill Gates financed a stealth bomber all by himself, why SHOULDN'T he be able to decide how its used? - SmartMuffin
#6jgiddy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2009 1:11:56 AM
Sigma, thanks for the feedback. The list actually does include all of the STR boosting gear in the game. I think arguing for Con>Dex for the implant slot is weak.

My idea was to get a list of best items together so that players could mix/match because there are no real item guides out for KOTOR that I've seen.
#7ChronoReversePosted 12/10/2009 8:18:54 AM
Good list. I like how you have the Critical Strike setup in there as well.

I'd disagree with the dual pistol setup being the strongest ranged weapon setup. It will be the most useful for much of the game but the Baragwin Heavy Repeater does so much damage per hit that even with Sneak Attack IV, the average damage outpaces the pistols! Outside of the Baragwin guns though, the pistols are better.

---
This space for rent.
#8tatiludPosted 12/10/2009 11:22:27 PM
Nice, very good job guys.
---
More Than 84,000 has Visited KotOR's Ultimate Guide. Gee, I Wonder Why? * http://furiokotor.bravehost.com
#9sigma_1932Posted 12/11/2009 12:02:40 AM
well to each his own, of course, but I just finished a playthrough with a scoundrel/consular with this build:

*snip for char. limit*

Ok, but that's not because DEX is all that great. It's because they designed the game to be too easy, even on the hardest difficulty. You'd have to put forth some real effort to come up with a build that can't finish the game, something I don't think is actually possible without purposely playing stupid on top of designing a bad build.

However, the topic here is the "best" setups, and the numbers don't really lie... AC is the least-important part of the main character's defensive abiltiies (there's at least 3-4 parts of a main character's direct defensive capabilities that should take priority over AC in this game), and with just 8 DEX, a generic Jedi Master Robe, Master Jedi Sense (Automatic at Jedi level12, IIRC), and Master Speed (which a best-build would take anyway for the offensive capability), you'll have enough AC to cover everything in the whole game except for Malak.

Malak, on the other hand, has an attack bonus of +38, which means you need an AC of at least 40 for it to make any difference at all (anything less and he'll still just automatically hit, and 39 is an automatic critical miss anyway), and then, every point starting at 40 and going up will only make him miss 5% more of the time. In order to get AC into the 40's, you'll have to focus almost exclusively on it, and TBH, it's just not worth it outside of a theme build.

The main concept here is that if something's dead, it can't swing. If something can't swing, then AC really doesn't matter. Related to this is that if something isn't going to do any damage when it does hit (because you're using the Energy Resistance power, for example), then AC doesn't matter either. On top of that still, if something's shooting at you with a blaster, then it'll have to go up against your attack bonus first anyway (due to the opposed attack roll for BBD), which means it's better to focus on attack bonus anyway because you can potentially turn the enemy's own damage back on them, i.e. turn your defensive capability into offense.

Looking at your build, with the minimums listed above (9 + 6 + 4 + 3 = 22), plus Scoundrel's Luck(+2 under level 6-- not much considering you're free to use armor at lower levels), plus the +9 AC from DEX (going from 8 to 10 removes penalty, then robes allow +8 after that), then adding Force Armor (+6), you'd have a total AC of 39, which means you did all that building for absolutely no overall change. Even using the end-game robes will only add +2 AC to that, giving 41, meaning your AC will account for Malak having only an extra 10% chance to miss.

Honestly, you'd be better off taking all those points out of CON (and using the Cardio Power System for the +4 CON instead) and DEX (leaving it at 8) and sticking as many of them as possible into STR, then WIS/CHA (for a few extra FP) for a Lightsaber build, or sticking them all into WIS/CHA (for higher DC's, more FP), then focusing on STR (for more damage that you'll probably never need) after that for a Force-combat build.

Alternatively, if you'd happen to go for an ultimate all-around character that also carries as many skill points into the mix as possible, then dumping the points out of CON and DEX will also allow more flexibility to raise INT to facilitate that.

And FTR, I've beaten Malak straight up using a only direct-damage-dealing darkside powers-- the true "Dark Lord of the Sith" battle-- no need to waste time screwing around with status affliction powers... after all, the best status affliction you can put on an enemy is "dead", and things don't die if you don't do damage to them in this game.

Alternatively, he never lasts more than two rounds vs. my lightsaber builds, even on high difficulty... so why waste a round with Stasis?
---
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!
#10sigma_1932Posted 12/11/2009 12:34:02 AM
Sigma, thanks for the feedback. The list actually does include all of the STR boosting gear in the game. I think arguing for Con>Dex for the implant slot is weak.

My idea was to get a list of best items together so that players could mix/match because there are no real item guides out for KOTOR that I've seen.

Yes I gathered that from the fact that you included skill-boosting gear, but I'm just qualifying the list by saying that in no situation except maybe a DEX-focused theme build is it optimal to use something for its +DEX buff because it's just a waste due to how the enemies' mechanics were designed.

That said, what is there for implants? Well, if we throw out all the +DEX ones since they're all useless due to the designed mechanics of the game, that leaves:
-- CON +4, +3, or +1
-- INT +1 (that's only good for boosting INT-related skills temporarily)
-- Immunity to MA/Poison/Crits
-- +2 HP regen per round
-- one that gives all the non-lightsaber weapon proficiency feats, up through specialization, as the best possible.

Looking at that list, implant choice is really more a matter of picking the least-sucky one than the most uber one. Obviously, the weapon Prof. feat one is out, since it doesn't include lightsaber feats. Obviously the INT+1 is the best as far as skills go. +2 HP regen is ultra-slow, plus healing powers/items are easy to come by, so that's not gonna be it. Poison is pretty meaningless, and it wears off quickly, so the exclusively Imm: Poison ones are out. Imm: MA can be nice, but at least for darksiders, it's redundant since their best headgear gives it, and Lightsider's Will saves will be ultra high due to +WIS gear anyway. Ultimately, that leaves the +CON implants as the least-sucky.

It should also be mentioned that unlike any of the +2-and-up DEX implants, a +4 CON implant can be picked up for free if you explore thoroughly enough.

For Darkside (which I usually play), the CON +4 will be the best (although still pretty much overkill), since their best headgear is the Sith Mask (Gives Immunity: MA). Lightside, Guardian, I'd go with the Immunity: MA implant since they have lower Will saves (though probably still not necessary) and higher HP, Consular I'd go with the CON +4 since your Will saves will already be good enough due to high WIS from gear, and they get Lower HP. In all cases, just about everything that takes a Reflex Save will be soaked by Energy Resistance anyway, or are very uncommon/easily avoidable all together.

I'm not saying DEX-focused builds can't or won't work, I'm just saying they're never really the "best" way to go.
---
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!