Collectables

#1AlltraPosted 9/17/2009 4:13:17 AM
I really wish this game had a NG+ feature or something that allowed you to trade your collectables between files. It would have been cool to have some kind of secret unlockable open up if you managed to collect them all.
---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours. Don't destroy my reality, even if it is a fantasy.
#2Max40Posted 9/18/2009 8:11:04 PM
Why would you need that? You can reset ther game and try to get it again.
---
Now playing La Pucelle, Xenosaga, and Castlevania
#3Alltra(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2009 2:45:03 AM
The problem is, trying to get the collectable drops from monsters causes me to have Hyper Inflated levels, and it strips any challenge the game might have had. Also, it's not all that fun to grind for 40+ hours in the first 3 hours of story just so you can have said items. I would love to have something that lets me start over again from scratch, but carry over any collectables and Non-Event related Arts into a New Game.
---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours. Don't destroy my reality, even if it is a fantasy.
#4Max40Posted 9/20/2009 4:14:57 AM
Ever tried not equiping any armor or just having low defense by having low defensive equipment equiped. There are some bosses that are still challenging at high levels though. The enemies damage only goes down so much. The equipment isn't cheap in either Legaias kinda forcing you to level if you want to buy it. Like the Gold Sword. I guess that's me though.
---
#5Alltra(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2009 12:27:47 PM
Honestly, it's not really the challenge thing that bothers me, it's the amount of time I'd have to put in to be able to collect 100% of every item. I'm a borderline obsessive in this regard when it comes to games. I derive a great deal of satisfaction from collecting every item in a game in a single file.

The problem is, with Legaia 2 it's so time consuming and annoying that making the attempt sucks all the enjoyment out of the process. I do derive a measure of enjoyment from trying to collect said items, but Legaia 2 manages to take any enjoyment I might have had and throw it out the window. I can't enjoy the game because I don't have everything, so I obsess over it and can't play any further until I do. This would not be a problem for me if they had something that allowed me to carry items over into a New Game, or if they had some kind of Extra's menu item list that carried over between games.
---
#6Tsukikage71Posted 9/21/2009 3:30:09 PM
I've caught myself obsessing with every item, and it has definitely burnt me out twice before.

The only advice I can offer is "Everything in moderation." If you get burnt out or stop enjoying the game, then take a break... for a day, a week, a year, whatever it takes.

For the record, there are some items you can ONLY ever access with a GameShark-type device. The Double Getter sword is a GREAT example. Someone explained what that item was supposed to be a few months ago, but I've since forgotten.
#7Max40Posted 9/22/2009 10:42:39 AM
What he can also do is everytime you get all those kinds of items in one area, he can make a save point after each boss, because then when you want to replay, you can feel assured that you have it. There are fewer games that have New Game +. Like Chrono Cross.
---
#8Tsukikage71Posted 9/26/2009 10:31:10 PM
BTW, I felt I should mention this little tactic of mine for the early areas of the game. In an effort to prevent "over-grinding", I limited my battles to 10 at a time. If I didn't get a collectible within that period, I'd soft-reset (or is it just plain reset? I can't remember anymore) and start over.

I got the idea from fighting the ants in the Hunters' Wood, since they disappear rather quickly. I figured the game already gave me enough chances to win the Cast-Off Chrysalis (sp?) with the required battles against them... and if they didn't drop from one of those, then just start over. It worked better than I thought it would, and I decided to do the same in Gale Canyon, Mt. Gabel, the Cave of Trials, etc.... until after the "Eclipse".

Another point of frustration was that bosses don't drop collectibles 100% of the time. I reset the game more often fighting the boss in Hunters' Wood than I did when fighting the smaller ants.