FI/FI/FI/RM vs. FI/FI/RM/RM....an epic duel for surely!

#121FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 7:08:23 PM
Oh...does that go for the Gr.Medusa's as well?
---
In simplicity is perfection
#122FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 7:09:38 PM
Oh wait, nevermind, I forgot, her stoning attack wasn't physical.
---
#123MrL1193Posted 5/28/2010 8:48:22 PM
Well well well...I see you've started uploading the videos again.

Hm...A few control mishaps in the Waterfall Cave, I think? Oh well...
---
Knowledge is power, and ignorance is bliss.
Unfortunately, most people won't settle for one; they usually end up with neither.
#124MrL1193Posted 5/28/2010 8:51:31 PM
Oh, and when you got ambushed by those Shadows right when you stepped out of Melmond onto the Airship, couldn't you have just reset the game and immediately tried the step again? (I'm not sure how the RNG works in this case, so bear with me.)
---
Unfortunately, most people won't settle for one; they usually end up with neither.
#125FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 9:11:17 PM
Um...why would I do that? That would take more time to do than simply running away. This is a real time attack speed run, not a multi segment speed run.

Also, where were the controller mishaps? Were they anymore serious than they were in previous videos?
---
#126MrL1193Posted 5/28/2010 9:24:21 PM
Um...why would I do that? That would take more time to do than simply running away. This is a real time attack speed run, not a multi segment speed run.

How do you figure? If you reset, all you have to do is hit "A" and you'll reappear on the town square. That seems to me like it would be faster in terms of real time as well as in-game time, especially since you were ambushed and had to wait for all the Shadows to attack.

Also, where were the controller mishaps? Were they anymore serious than they were in previous videos?

Well, it was just that little bit of stumbling around at the end in the room with the robot--and also the fact that you switched the Red Mage and Knight in the third and fourth slots at one point. I'm pretty sure the third and fourth slots are attacked equally, so unless you were planning on one of the first two characters dying/getting stoned (which was unlikely, due to how close you were to the end), it was unnecessary. But hey, it's not like it would have made much of difference anyway...I just noticed it, that's all. It made me grin for a moment, nothing more.
---
#127FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 9:35:23 PM
How do you figure? If you reset, all you have to do is hit "A" and you'll reappear on the town square. That seems to me like it would be faster in terms of real time as well as in-game time, especially since you were ambushed and had to wait for all the Shadows to attack.

Hm...perhaps you're right. I forgot about how you just reappear right outside town.

Well, it was just that little bit of stumbling around at the end in the room with the robot--and also the fact that you switched the Red Mage and Knight in the third and fourth slots at one point. I'm pretty sure the third and fourth slots are attacked equally, so unless you were planning on one of the first two characters dying/getting stoned (which was unlikely, due to how close you were to the end), it was unnecessary. But hey, it's not like it would have made much of difference anyway...I just noticed it, that's all. It made me grin for a moment, nothing more.

Actually, I remembered there being a reason for why I switch slots like that, but I couldn't remember it, so I didn't switch them immediately. But then I remembered later. It was because the running formula is bugged in a way that the 4th slot character had worse odds of running away than the 3rd slot character. Considering that the one of my characters is pretty much spending all his time casting the HEAL staff instead of running away, it didn't make sense to keep him in the 3rd slot.

Also....I can't stand looking at that formation, of Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/Fighter. It just looks so ugly to me. That wasn't the reason why I changed it, but it made me glad to have found an excuse to do it that way.
---
#128MrL1193Posted 5/28/2010 9:40:10 PM
^Ah, I didn't know that the running bug affected the third and fourth slots differently; I thought that they both had similarly poor odds of succeeding.

Anyway, you're doing just fine; keep up the good work. Just out of curiosity, would you say that the team with 3 Fighters and 1 Red Mage has taken longer so far?
---
#129FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 9:55:53 PM
Yes, although to be fair, I probably should've planned the early game slightly different for them. I should've bought one Short Sword to make Astos easier, and ALIT didn't turn out to be very helpful.

Even then though, the team requires a lot more luck to reach comparable times to the FI/FI/RM/RM team. A lack of a second person who can cast ICE kind of hurts the team in terms of early game grinding, and that's also one less person who can cast CURE (I know, I didn't end up buying the spell anyways, but I should have. LIT didn't end up being as helpful as I thought it would be).

What really gets them in the kisser though are the early game bosses. Half of them require (yes, require) you to have at least one Red Mage in order to win at levels as low as the ones I have. As you can imagine, that's a problem when I only have one Red Mage to begin with.

I haven't tested them out anywhere past the first few floors of the Sea Shrine of course, but judging from how thoroughly the FI/FI/RM/RM team were able to trash almost everything up to the Temple of Fiends Revisited in just one round (there were two rounders in there, but those were caused by mistakes), they're even worse off than I thought in terms of how long they have to wait to finally exceed the FI/FI/RM/RM in killing power. Of course, they should have a significant advantage over the FI/FI/RM/RM team once the ToFR rolls around. They're probably going to be so durable and strong by that point, that I won't even need to STONE anyone but that one single Red Mage.
---
#130FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2010 9:57:03 PM
And overall, I just don't like playing as the FI/FI/FI/RM team as much. They're just not nearly as flexible as the FI/FI/RM/RM team are.
---