What is the Best Doom Source Port?

#1OmegaforceX3Posted 7/13/2011 3:32:27 AM
Okay, now everyone loves a bit of Doom. But of course, everybody plays a source port. I'm interested in other people's opinions, so what is your favourite source port? Let the debate begin.

For me, Doomsday Engine is really just amazing, but to my despair, my laptop randomly stopped being able to launch it. So I have reverted to GZDoom, which is also good. I use Skulltag for multiplayer and testing cheats, and use ZDoom for mods. When I feel old school, Chocolate Doom is the one.

I've tried a few source ports as well. Vavoom was a bit too nimble. PrBoom+'s really just didn't work for me. I didn't really like ZDaemon in comparison to Skulltag. I don't know how to get Doom legacy to work. I don't know how to operate Risen 3-D either.

So anyway, whats your favourite source port? By the way, could people PLEASE not go off topic and start going on about Duke Nukem 3D or Quake Source ports.
---
You don't like me when I'm angry...birds
#2Recoome_is_godPosted 7/13/2011 6:30:30 AM
Doomsday/jDoom/Risen3D is all well and good if you like a bunch of fancy visual effects and little else on top. Mapping for it IMO is more hassle than it's worth too.

As it stands, ZDoom and derivatives (GZDoom) are probably your best bet if you like mods and expansions, purely because they have the most active communities, a very flexible modding format, and advanced mapping support (UDMF).

In my experience, Skulltag is probably the only MP port you'll need. It's a bit behind the current ZDoom build, but stands on its own with support for completely new game modes and whatnot.

Odamex is fine for old-school games, but because it's set out to be an OS MP port it doesn't really do anything else.

As for ZDaemon, it is probably the worst MP port; it's far behind ST for features, and is using a horribly outdated ZDoom codebase from some ancient, obsolete version. Not to mention the community is full of the most insufferable elitist *****s imaginable.

EDGE had a few good mods kicking around the place, but few ever got finished. The project itself is finished now at v1.35 due to a slow community and dwindling interest from the single developer. It's incredibly easy to mod for too, which is fine if you want to mix a couple of things up. Something I always liked was the ability to easily create new linetype definitions. Sadly though, there's no MP support AT ALL.

Legacy 1.42 can support a massive 32 players, but is plagued by random crashing and disconnecting and has the same limited mod support that Doom.exe has. It's alright for a quick messaround though, and does support dynamic lighting and 3D effects for the OpenGL render.

I hated VaVoom. It just didn't handle properly at all, and the Chaingun was inexplicably slower than it should have been in the last version I tested.

PrBoom+ seems to be the norm for demo recording, but a few enhanced mapping features aside (all of which are eclipsed by ZDoom's) doesn't offer much to someone who wants to blow the game wide open with mods.

Chocolate Doom is of course how the game was intended. You can't go wrong with this one at all, except for all the bugs it's deliberately left in to remain as accurate to Doom.exe as possible.
---
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ
#3gearratioPosted 7/14/2011 10:03:00 AM
I thought ZDaemon has the more active online player community?

Skulltag's community forum is undoubtedly active, but projects are being thrown in side to side and I have yet to see an actual decent mod get finished. On the server itself for the game (and the mods) I'd count only about 80-some people compared to the 100+ servers open at any given time.
---
Stupid tire! Ya friggin' tire! You think you're better than me?! I'll kick your ass!
"spokesperson of Contra's fans, customers, and developers"
#4Recoome_is_godPosted 7/14/2011 1:11:18 PM
Zdaemon does have more game activity, but in all the time I used it (about a year, with a few more visits every other month) it was consistently stuffed with trolls and griefers. ST is generally quieter for servers, but then I'd rather have one competent player on a server than a cluster**** of ****heads any day.

A huge problem with ST these days though is that everyone plays the worst, most gimmicky mods in existence. Such as that crapfest, "All Out War 2".
---
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ
#5MEGAMURPosted 7/14/2011 2:06:09 PM
I most commonly use Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+, and ZDoom.

Chocolate Doom is probably my favorite source port, offering an authentic classic DOOM flavor, but being a little easier to use, allowing me to play it in a window and load DeHackEd patches and merge PWADs with minimal hassle. I probably use it the most of any ports.

PrBoom+ is nice for when, again, I want that authentic classic DOOM flavor, but with WADs that are a bit too strenuous for vanilla DOOM to handle. Numerous, easy-to-use compatibility features let you play with classic DOOM's exact behavior (more or less) without having to worry about vanilla limits, and is also good for older mods that required specific versions of Boom or MBF in order to run properly.

Then ZDoom is basically just there because a lot of new mods require it. It's certainly not a bad port at all and has lots of neat editing features (that are way too complicated for me to use), but I'm not fond of some of the behavior tweaks it introduced (and can't be toggled off).

I also use GZDoom when there's mods that...need GZDoom.

I use Skulltag, as well, mostly for the same reason as ZDoom, though I enjoy the added multiplayer support, and some WADs are simply more compatible with Skulltag than ZDoom.

I've also used Doomsday/jDoom, but it's just for looks, really. Basically just for when I want some graphical indulgence. I should probably just delete it because I have no idea where to find jDoom-specific mods.

Oh, and special mention has to go to DOOM 64 EX, which is technically a source port, and certainly the best way to play DOOM 64 on your PC.
---
Gameplay videos without audio commentary are truly the most wonderful gameplay videos of all.
#6Recoome_is_godPosted 7/15/2011 1:50:05 AM(edited)
MEGAMUR posted...
Oh, and special mention has to go to DOOM 64 EX, which is technically a source port, and certainly the best way to play DOOM 64 on your PC.

It's the best way of playing D64 altogether. That N64 control is horrible.
---
#7MEGAMURPosted 7/15/2011 12:30:28 PM
I have a hard time disagreeing with you there. I'm not sure if my version was bugged or what, but turning speed was always random when I played on the actual N64. Even with the Run button held down, sometimes I'd spin around quickly, and sometimes I'd turn very slowly. Being able to use the mouse easily does away with that issue.
---
Gameplay videos without audio commentary are truly the most wonderful gameplay videos of all.
#8DarkReign128Posted 7/23/2011 7:58:50 AM
I always loved Doomsday/jDoom. It had the graphical upgrade that made Doom feel newer to me. Felt slower overall but was still great fun for me when I would play it.
---
Do you know the muffin man? O_O