The DOOM WAD Book Club

#1MEGAMURPosted 1/7/2012 4:41:34 PM
Hello, fellow DOOMers! Welcome to the DOOM WAD Book Club!

The rules are simple: download the currently spotlighted WAD (links will be provided in the thread), play it, and write your thoughts on the level(s) here as you go along. Anybody is invited to join in.

Current WAD: JENESIS

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16640

(requires DOOM2.WAD and a Boom-compatible source port)

You may have played Jenesis before, but this is the full, final, 32-map release. The WAD apparently pays homage to classic MegaWADs like Momento Mori, Requiem, Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta and more. I can't say how accurate that is, but we'll soon find out! :)
---
It's okay. You don't have to type my name in all-caps.
#2MEGAMUR(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2012 7:58:36 PM
Decided to go for Ultra-Violence again. Here we go!

Map01: Hm, multiple Revenants and chaingunners in the first level. Not sure if I should be worried about that. A few frustrating instances of autoaim abuse, as well, with chaingun snipers camping out in hard-to-approach alcoves. I nearly bought it during one such instance, where they blasted me down to %7 health. I also hope future levels will expand beyond this "Hey, Metallica was cool, right?" musical style. I did like the ammo balance in the level, however. I wasn't exactly starved for supplies, but I did have to switch between the shotgun and chaingun several times due to dwindling ammunition. (Or maybe there just weren't enough bullets for my chaingun.)

Map02: Went for a good while there without getting a super shotgun. I was almost sad to see it (but not sad about using it on the Revenant in the next room.) Boy, there's this one hallway with Revenant snipers at the end of it that really causes a headache, since the door at the end of the hall only closes automatically; you can't shut it yourself. This means you have to keep running up to reopen the door, then retreat back down the hall when the Revs and zombies retaliate, since you can't close the door and use it to protect yourself. The author sure knows how to make the most of a smaller enemy count.

Map03: I really liked the atmosphere of this one--the "manmade architecture amongst water/nature" sort of crap I'd make for a DOOM level if I had any clue what I was doing. The multiple doors/windows leading into the blue key courtyard make for some good battle strategy. *spoiler* And thank goodness that thing that looks like an Arch-Vile jump secret isn't actually one! *end spoiler*

Map04: Just strolling along like normal and then BAM, a sequel to a Hell Revealed level, out of nowhere. (However, unlike the original map, I was able to actually figure out how to grab the weapon sitting on top of the well.) It's definitely better than the original HR map, considering the original was pretty much just shameless filler. *spoiler* I also completely panicked with the YK trap and barely made it out.*end spoiler*

Total Death Count: 0
---
#3EsuriatPosted 1/7/2012 11:23:48 PM(edited)
Downloaded. I'll be finishing Community Chest 3 tomorrow probably and will pick this up next. It looks kind of promising. :)
---
Essy, Avian Enthusiast
#4anilEhilatedPosted 1/8/2012 2:59:48 AM
I do hope the HR level in question isn't The Path. I mean, a sequel to that made me quit HR2.
---
For who could ever...?
#5anilEhilatedPosted 1/8/2012 4:02:59 AM
There's no way I'm running a death count on this.

MAP01: Liking the rockin' music. I'm kinda glad this wad has disabled jumping - I'm never sure whether you're supposed to use it or not, this way they at least tell you immediately. Seems way too dependent on fiding the secret berserk/shotgun on the first courtyard; while it's obvious enough, that's one thing I definitely don't like. Had some simple fun berserking pinkies through the fence. Another thing I'm not fond of, trapped secrets, those revenants at the rocket launcher caught met totally off-guard. All in all, a nice level that flows pretty well, no real speedbumps, just some duck'n'cover gameplay.
In one sentence: A really well-done introductory level.

MAP02: Dungeons already? Man I do hope it won't stay there. Already resorted to the chaingun sniping trick I've been to stupid to find out on my own (thanks MEGAMUR!) in the many, many windows - the first part of this level looks like Swiss cheese. The music is still very nice. Still, with all the revenants at the worst places I'm regretting I wasted all my rockets from the previous level, they'd sure come in handy here. Finding that super shotung should seriously be accompanied by a fanfare.
IOS: What does the secret behind the waterfall do? Sure has hell doesn't lower the supercharge...
---
For who could ever...?
#6Tad_DaintyPosted 1/8/2012 3:22:19 PM
Hey, I'm in on this. I will be playing on HMP and just kind of blazing through the levels (literally). Writing down a few notes & things I liked after each map. because I will never be able to remember them otherwise... also played on ZDoom 2.5 with Boom compatibility. recommended in the jenesis readme.

Map 01: The helipad was cool. Drain on the toxic slime pond, nice touch. only found 25% secrets. no berserk or rocket launcher for me. I did score the chainsaw and use it on imps and demons. ran out of all ammo trying to chip away at 4 revenants, but ran back to find 60 bullets and took them out. Nice to find plenty of ammo in their room. No deaths & exit at 100% health 83% green armor with the chainsaw, shotgun (41 shells), and chaingun (61 bullets). I'm sure more weapons will become available to half ass secret hunters in due time. Time 16:57

Map 02: I like the entrance stairs. I thought I was stuck already without enough health, but found a hidden berserk. Ammo is pretty tight but I scrounge. Found a room that appears to exist only so I can shoot a helpless revenant in the crotch; I approve. Killed by revenant & baron trap; monster infighting is good if you're not a monster. 100% kills and 80% secrets for the map. I escaped with 100% health, now well equipped with a super shotgun, 200% armor and ammo backpack. These levels are taking me a long time: 21:51 for the second map, 38:48 total.
---
People being helped by people other than me. That makes me feel good inside.
#7Tad_DaintyPosted 1/8/2012 3:38:13 PM
I'll add that I'm taking a break with a generic softdrink & listening to Rush. it's a tip I picked up from Futurama.
---
#8Recoome_is_godPosted 1/8/2012 3:58:04 PM
MAP01:
Good start, although delivering pellets to the head of so many Demons with only a pistol wasn't exactly great; wisely saved the Berserk for an emergency Health recovery moment, after being hit by some mysterious projectile from nowhere -- I've still no idea what it could have been at all. Generally a good balance of health/ammo, with careful aim being required in order to keep a decent supply on hand. Not particularly optimistic for enjoying the rest of the adventure already though, due to some inexplicably over-generous use of Revenants; this is always a bad thing if it's come into play this early.

MAP02:
I haven't been this happy to get my hands on the SSG in a long, long time. Dealing with everything just got much easier, especially something like that bull**** with the Yellow Door. I just knew that was coming up, and it still managed to piss me off. Nasty design, resulting in several shouts and a very dead Revenant. Lots of Chaingun sniping occurred in the 'main' area here in order to avoid being chased around by homing missiles... and a run of good fortune while grabbing keys resulted in causing many successful cases of infighting amongst Revenants and Barons/Knights where possible. I'm noticing that whoever designed this also has an unearthly fetish for filling empty space with "those who return from death" for no reason other than 'because they can'.
---
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ
#9Tad_DaintyPosted 1/8/2012 5:47:46 PM
Map 03: I keep running into long range chainguns and revenants occasionally, but they havent been out of range for slow shotgun/chaingun kills. I don't mind taking my time with them. Now when the revenants just appear from thin air... ok so now I know we're dealing with those kind of traps in this wad, huh. The rocket launcher was not easy to get away with, but I like fighting barons/knights. elsewhere I got a hell knight to fight a revenant.. hell knight wins, barely. I didn't get killed on the map and got 100% kills, 80% secrets. Prowling around after clearing the map gave me 200% health and 200% armor, which is great because the next map looks like it starts off hot.

I'm over 59 minutes now... it looks like i'm gonna put 7 or 10 hours into this map pack if I can finish it. That's like an fps campaign & a half.

I noticed I'm liking the intermission music. It reminds me of TMNT: Turles in Time on the SNES.
---
#10MEGAMUR(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2012 6:35:17 PM
aniLEhilated posted...
I do hope the HR level in question isn't The Path. I mean, a sequel to that made me quit HR2.

Same here! That level already sucked in HR1, so having to do an even MORE annoying version of it in HR2? Forget it. Thankfully, the sequel in question is to The Garden Terminal, an early HR1 map.

IOS: What does the secret behind the waterfall do? Sure has hell doesn't lower the supercharge...

Just has a box of bullets in it.

Recoome_is_god posted...
I'm noticing that whoever designed this also has an unearthly fetish for filling empty space with "those who return from death" for no reason other than 'because they can'.

Considering your hatred of Revenants, I'm surprised you can play DOOM II WADs at all. Throwing as many of those boneheads at you as possible seems to be a staple of most D2 mapsets.

Tad_Dainty posted...
I'm over 59 minutes now... it looks like i'm gonna put 7 or 10 hours into this map pack if I can finish it. That's like an fps campaign & a half.

Welcome to the club, Ted! :)

It's pretty sad how entirely free add-on WADs for DOOM often last nearly twice as long as the SP campaigns in modern, full-priced games. Doom 2 Reloaded lasted me a good 10+ hours as well.

Map05: Not much to say about this one, though I do like the connectivity of it, with how, after you complete an objective, there's usually a teleporter or door that cuts right to the next area you need to visit instead of forcing you to backtrack.

Map06: This level can be fairly simple or rather difficult depending on how you approach it; I approached it wrong and racked up my first death here, but tried it from a different angle on my next go and pretty much breezed through.

Map07: Was there just something so deeply special about Dead Simple that every Map07 must make some sort of homage to it? I'm sick of these arenas filled with Mancubi and Arachnotrons. There's got to be more interesting ways to use the 666 & 667 tags.

Map08: I hope you like running through toxic sludge! That seems to be the primary theme of this map, with several major areas overflowing with the crap. The constant threat of drowning in ooze does give a certain intensity to the level's pace, but it's not exactly desirable. I like the atmosphere of the dark, underground mine areas in the sections where the floor ISN'T green goop.

Map09: Ah, cripes, more damage floors? As if the previous level weren't bad enough, seemingly all of this map consists of nukage flats, resulting in you running around like a dope, hoping you'll find a new radiation suit while your legs melt. There's a somewhat cheap battle near the end that took me out, combining the damage floors with Revenants, chaingunners and a lack of cover for the annoyance trifecta (quadfecta?). At least the vaguely Depeche Mode-like song for this map is nice. I just hope the author gets over his sludge love, and fast. (Amusingly, like some sort of bizarre meta-joke, the nukage floors in the first room don't actually hurt you.)

Map10: The sky texture, music and architecture of the level create a rather pretty, albeit somewhat depressing atmosphere. It's quite absorbing (even though it screws up continuity a bit. We were on Mars a moment ago, I thought, and now we're in some ghost town in the mountains or something?). However, navigation is kind of a pain as you'll repeatedly be forced to run back and forth through the level to get where you need to go. By the way, to any level designers out there, PLEASE don't put armor suits in narrow places where you can't avoid them. It's a real waste. The exit room that you can't backtrack out of is a bit irritating, too.

Total Death Count: 2
---