Power-Ups Tier List (post your opinion)

#1Link03456Posted 1/21/2010 11:41:29 AM
Here's mine. You can add reasoning if you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Tier:
P-Wing

High Tier:
Kuribo's Shoe
Tanooki Suit
Racoon Leaf
Fire Flower

Middle Tier:
Mushroom
Starman

Low Tier:
Frog Suit

Bottom Tier:
Regular Mario
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

P Wing - With a P Wing, you can fly forever, which lets you complete 95% of levels easily. You can take 3 hits before a death, but you probably never will get hit as long as you're flying.

Kuribo's Shoe - Inside a Kuribo's Shoe, you cannot be hurt from below no matter what's trying to kill you. You can combine the Kuribo's Shoe with any other power up - Frog, Fire, Tanooki, or even just regular Mario. You can take 2-4 hits before death, depending on what the Shoe is combined with.

Tanooki Suit - Same as the Racoon Leaf, but you can turn to stone.

Racoon Leaf - You can fly, but it's only temporairily, and you must get a running start, unlike the P-Wing. You can also "float" through the air and tail spin. 3 hits before death.

Fire Flower - Fireballs are excellent if you are trying to play the level "safe", but jumping ability is not as good as Racoon Leaf and Tanooki Suit. 3 hits before death.

Mushroom - No unique powers, 2 hits before death.

Starman - Invincibility, but only lasts for a very short time, making it pretty useless to use on the map and enter a level.

Frog Suit - Very agile on the water but hard to use on land, and it has low speed and low horizontal jumping on land. 3 hits before death.

Regular Mario - No unique powers, 1 hit before death. Cannot break bricks.
---
Hey, guess what? You're wasting your time by reading this.
.............If you're still reading this, you're still wasting your time.
#2Kacoo02Posted 1/21/2010 4:28:20 PM
You forgot the Hammers Bros Suit.
#3JPKillaPosted 1/21/2010 5:33:19 PM
Meta Knight Tier
Raccoon Leaf - Flight, floating and the tail whip, coupled with extreme availability makes this number 1

High Tier
P-Wing - A free pass on most levels, and you get quite a few of them
Starman - Far and above the best weapon for Hammer Bros, and you get a lot of them from the card game
Tanooki Suit - Statue is extremely powerful, plus all Raccoon benefits; availability is good, too

Middle Tier
Fire Flower - Common and powerful, but the trajectory can be gimpy, and many enemies can resist it
Hammer Suit - Kills pretty much anything and fire-proof when ducked, but way too few
Frog Suit - Excellent swimming ability and can be a real lifesaver (ba-dum-kish), screws you over on land. A lot

Low Tier
Regular Mario - Fragile, but maneuverable
Mushroom - Extra durability only makes him more easily hit. Maybe it's just me, but he feels less maneuverable, too
Kuribo's Shoe - Undoubtedly the most powerful, but extremely limited availability makes it tough to really consider

~~~

I tried to consider it with more than just the power-ups power, but also things such as availability during a normal playthrough.

If power is the only thing you consider, then it would probably be...

Starman
P-Wing
Kuribo's Shoe
Tanooki Suit
Hammer Suit
Raccoon Suit
Fire Flower
Frog Suit
Mushroom
Regular Mario

---
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
#4friendlydudePosted 1/26/2010 2:04:45 AM
"Fire Flower - Fireballs are excellent if you are trying to play the level "safe", but jumping ability is not as good as Racoon Leaf and Tanooki Suit. 3 hits before death."

Really? Jumping ability not as good as the other two suits you mention? Unless you mean, with the leafs, it just feels safer jumping around because you can float around.
#5ChaseXtremePosted 1/26/2010 11:37:03 AM
Top Tier:
P-Wing
Hammer Suit

High Tier:
Tanooki Suit
Kuribo's Shoe

Middle Tier:
Starman
Racoon Leaf
Fire Flower
Mushroom

Low Tier:
Frog Suit

Bottom Tier:
Regular Mario

P-Wing - You pass nearly all levels with this. Probably what I use the most.

Hammer Suit - Awesome as hell. Hammers kill nearly everything. Hard to be accurate but I never skip levels where I can obtain this.

Tanooki Suit - Turning to stone is useful for dodging Bullet Bills, Fireballs and Hammers from Hammer Bros. Statue is the only thing that kills Rotodiscs and Airship Flames too. Also has flying ability.

Kuribo's Shoe - 5/3 is one of my top ten favorite levels because of the item. It needed to be an item you can get regularly

Starman - What more can I say. Invincibility for a short time is full of win. Great for start of World 2 mini-fortress or ones you run through quickly. Also, makes good chains of stars in ? blocks when starting with a star like on 5-7

Racoon Leaf - This item lightens fall and makes it easy to pass things quicker. 5-4 is a cakewalk with this item

Fire Flower - Ability to shoot fireballs that kill many enemies. Almost even likeability with Leaf but it depends more on level. I use leaf more so leaf ranks slightly higher.

Mushroom - Most of the time I will waste all but two of these off on my item box. I don't need many. If winning means a lot (like for quick time thing), I will use one over frog suit if frog suit isn't needed or needed soon. Besides, that, I keep Frog Suit on for the challenge

Frog Suit - Only good for swimming levels. If I'm only going through game regularly, I'll keep it on for the challenge like I said above after the swimming level is over.

Regular Mario - One hit death. Only good for small areas

---
Topics killed in 2010: 67
Topics killed in 2009: 1,021