Minor Major World circuit record carries over to Another World circuit

#1HeIsTooOldPosted 11/2/2012 8:45:12 AM
Hey folks, sorry if this has already been discovered, but after I went through the whole regular game, (14-0), I was bored, hit the reset button and entered Another World Circuit. Well, this part I'm a little ashamed of. Was trying a new strategy for Soda Pop, was all "Tysoned out" and lost to him. Well, I got POed and hit the reset button again, and just then noticed my Win/Loss record was 20-1. Is this old news? My bad if so. I'm going to check it out again to confirm. I'll grab a screen shot if somebody is interested to see....
#2brian sulpher(Moderator)Posted 11/14/2012 6:37:21 AM
Interesting, let us know how it turns out.
---
77 FAQs for games never covered at www.GameFAQs.com.
Redemption is only three fights away
#3HeIsTooOld(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:21:04 AM
Yep, confirmed.

Start a normal game.
Go Glass Joe through Mike Tyson
Hit reset
enter "Another World Circuit" code
Your 14-? record will be intact...

Wow, never knew that after playing the game for 24 years

Is there some way to post a pic on here?
#4W_RPosted 12/15/2012 11:49:30 AM
HeIsTooOld posted...
Start a normal game.
Go Glass Joe through Mike Tyson
Hit reset

Why bother doing this? There is no storage on the game cart. Right...?
#5hisshouburaikenPosted 12/16/2012 5:43:41 PM
Most likely it's just the W-L values remaining in memory. Another World Circuit must not reset the values to 0 before beginning. Neat find.
---
Eggplant Wizard/King Hippo: Mother Brain!
Mother Brain: You were expecting Donkey Kong?!
#6W_RPosted 12/16/2012 6:16:43 PM
hisshouburaiken posted...
Most likely it's just the W-L values remaining in memory. Another World Circuit must not reset the values to 0 before beginning.

But he said to reset the console before going to Another World Circuit . Surely that clears the memory...?
#7HeIsTooOld(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2012 8:31:59 AM
Most likely it's just the W-L values remaining in memory. Another World Circuit must not reset the values to 0 before beginning. Neat find.

Yes and thank you. Right, I guess another example of this is when you beat the game, hit reset and there's a password to fight Super Macho man.
#8W_RPosted 12/24/2012 1:51:48 PM
HeIsTooOld posted...

Yes and thank you. Right, I guess another example of this is when you beat the game, hit reset and there's a password to fight Super Macho man.

So you're saying that hitting reset does not clear the memory in the NES? Can someone con firm this? I was not aware nintendos did this. I can believe it, but will someone confirm? Also, HeIsTooOld, please clarify that that's what you're really saying happens.
#9BareknuckleRooPosted 12/25/2012 3:41:58 PM
W_R posted...

So you're saying that hitting reset does not clear the memory in the NES? Can someone con firm this? I was not aware nintendos did this. I can believe it, but will someone confirm?

This isn't that unusual; the NES and Genesis consoles (maybe SNES too?) have both 'soft' and 'hard' resets. If you tap the reset button quickly, it usually only resets back to the main menu. A hard reset is done by holding down the reset button for a few seconds, which does clear the game's RAM.

X-Men for the Genesis is a good example of this sort of thing; at one point you need to actually need to 'soft' reset the game in order to beat it. If you hold the reset button down instead of quickly tap it, it'll clear the RAM and totally restart the game as if you just turned it on.
#10W_RPosted 12/25/2012 4:33:59 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
W_R posted...

So you're saying that hitting reset does not clear the memory in the NES? Can someone con firm this? I was not aware nintendos did this. I can believe it, but will someone confirm?

This isn't that unusual; the NES and Genesis consoles (maybe SNES too?) have both 'soft' and 'hard' resets. If you tap the reset button quickly, it usually only resets back to the main menu. A hard reset is done by holding down the reset button for a few seconds, which does clear the game's RAM.

X-Men for the Genesis is a good example of this sort of thing; at one point you need to actually need to 'soft' reset the game in order to beat it. If you hold the reset button down instead of quickly tap it, it'll clear the RAM and totally restart the game as if you just turned it on.

Ok, got it. Thanks BareknuckleRoo!