Still looking for an alternative or sequel...

#1ArparsoPosted 3/31/2009 12:54:26 PM
What a shame, that this game didn't do too well. Besides being unique and featuring breathtaking visuals as well as an incredibly immersive experience, it's one of only a handful of games I still keep in a special place on my hard disk. Even after all those years, the gameplay and visuals are still very much enjoyable while most other games from that time show their age at every step they make.

I want a sequel... right now!... or at least a somewhat similar game, which delivers just as well as Nexus did (and still does).
#2German_EnigmaPosted 4/1/2009 3:19:34 PM
Most unlikely.

Developers are now more interested in simple point and shoot mechanics (eg. Star Trek Legacy) or focus on pure arcade action (eg. Star Trek D.A.C. for XBox LIVE Arcade and PSN).

The excellent Universe At War (Star Trek) mod is the reason why I still keep Nexus on my hard drive : )
#3Arparso(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2009 6:32:00 AM
Unfortunately it's also a question of financial success. Nexus didn't sell very well and neither did the Homeworld series reach impressive sales numbers. Space strategy games just aren't popular enough (unless maybe the names Star Trek or Star Wars are slapped in front of it). It just makes no sense investing hundreds of thousands of Euros to make a sequel if you can't expect a return on your investment. Look at the Nexus 2 petition: it hasn't even reached 3000 entries... that's hardly enough to prove the value of the Nexus brand. :(
#4German_EnigmaPosted 4/2/2009 10:01:59 PM
Nexus 2 is dead.

Both the game developer and publisher have scattered to the wind. Who actually owns the source code and legal copyrights to the Black Sun game engine now? Nobody knows for sure. The only left is that other game developers realize the potential of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and use it as a source of inspiration for their own games.

In the meantime, game mods will just have to do. Otherwise, try alternatives like Sins of A Solar Empire (more on strategy than tactical combat) which is better than nothing.
#5Arparso(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2009 4:11:26 AM
Actually the publisher HD Publishing still owns the IP rights as well as all related source code and assets. I don't see them making a new Nexus game, though... at least not for a while.
#6biomatterPosted 4/3/2009 8:31:25 PM
I love this game too much. I'm desperate for a game similar to it. I hate to ask, but can you guys recommend any other sci-fi strategy games? They don't have to be like this one, I guess (we probably couldn't name any anyways). I recently had a spot of fun with a game called Battleships Forever; it's small and downloadable for free (Warning Forever is awesome too, but it's more arcade-like). Are there any other names you'd like to pass on? Anything will do, really, I'm dying for something new. Thanks. I'm not so great at requesting help.
---
<> Biomatter <>
#7German_EnigmaPosted 4/3/2009 10:33:16 PM
You may wish to give Homeworld 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire a try.

There is more emphasis on resource collection, technology research and unit upgrades in the 2 abovementioned titles when compared to Nexus. The campaigns are much longer, especially for Sins where you can manage colonies/bases and battles across multiple star systems in real time. Longer playtime generally translates to more bang for your bucks.

Star Trek Legacy simulates starship tactical battles in the ST universe. It is very similar to Nexus but it is more arcade and it lacks polish. The only thing going for it is the official ST license. If I have to choose between ST Legacy and an ST Mod for Nexus, I would choose the latter.
#8German_EnigmaPosted 4/3/2009 10:49:03 PM
"Actually the publisher HD Publishing still owns the IP rights as well as all related source code and assets. I don't see them making a new Nexus game, though... at least not for a while."

I have seen this happen before... the "Babylon 5" space sim game which Sierra cancelled and refused to sell the rights. All the source code, assets and FMVs shot with the original cast are unceremoniously dumped into cold storage.

Today, Sierra is no more. They probably suck in managing corporate affairs as much as they suck in managing game development projects. A fitting end indeed.
#9Arparso(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2009 11:50:33 PM
You may want to check out "X3: Reunion" or the slightly newer "X3: Terran Conflict", too. They're not really strategy games, but instead focus on the player making a fortune with trade and mercenary work. You can even build your own space stations (literally thousands of them, if you have the money) and produce your own trade goods (or weapons and space ships and basically everything else).

Although it's being played from a first-person-perspective you still get to build up an impressive fleet and fight huge battles. The interface is a pain in the ass, though... if Nexus seems cumbersome to use, then X3 means hell on earth. ;)

>> "There is more emphasis on resource collection, technology research and unit upgrades in the 2 abovementioned titles when compared to Nexus. The campaigns are much longer, especially for Sins where you can manage colonies/bases and battles across multiple star systems in real time."

Uhm... but Sins has no campaign... at all. Just skirmish against the AI on a bunch of different maps. Sure, matches can take a while, especially on the really huge maps... but for me that's no substitute for a good story.

I agree on Homeworld, though. Actually even the first Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm are still great games to play, although they naturally do show their age, graphics-wise.

There's also Hegemonia, which personally I didn't really like, but it has found its small and loyal fanbase, much like Nexus. It even was released in the same timeframe as Nexus if I remember correctly.
#10MazryonhPosted 4/4/2009 9:17:40 PM
LONG LIVE NEXUS!

Now that that's out of my system, I would agree that there currently is no game quite like it and there may not be one in the foreseeable future. As epic the space battles in this game were, it seems just too slow for most of the gaming population to appreciate.

As much good as it would do for Ronald D. Moore of Battlestar Galactica or JMS of Babylon 5 to make games based on their franchises on the Black Sun engine, that doesn't look very likely either (despite how well-suited the engine might be for the space combat in both their TV shows). There is, however a well-made Stargate SG-1mod in the works available here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stargate-mod-war-begins

I own both Haegemonia (plus its expansion; I was lucky enough to snag it off of Ebay) and X3: The Reunion, and while they offer nice visuals of space battles too, they don't come that close to the greatness that was Nexus either. The original Haegemonia was a bit of a mess, and it took the expansion pack to add much needed variety to the tech trees, not to mention fix the regrettable gameplay which largely focussed on getting battleships and overpopulated planets as quickly as possible. X3: The Reunion without mods has no effective way of commanding a fleet like Nexus could, unfortunately.

Finally, where should I post a copy of the tech demo for N:TJI 2 so viewers of the link in my signature can easily find it? Filefront is dead, and that's what I was using previously.
---
In the name of gaming quality, I post this link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZQEvg1V0Y