The real reason why Deus Ex: IW sucked...

#1Samsaric_SpiralPosted 9/23/2011 3:12:40 PM
JC Denton lost his shades.
#2marx28102810Posted 9/23/2011 3:29:15 PM
Ive just finished Deus Ex 3 and it was the best game I ever played...No gripes about graphics,sound etc, game play is all that matters..What do a lot of folks expect from a computer game...miracles....it was awesome....thanks Eidos.
#3Kerr AvonPosted 9/25/2011 4:12:25 PM
>Ive just finished Deus Ex 3 and it was the best game I ever played...No gripes about graphics,sound etc, game play is all that matters..What do a lot of folks expect from a computer game...miracles....it was awesome....thanks Eidos.

Have you played Deus Ex on the PC (or Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, which is the same game but with a slightly different name for some reason, on the PS2)? To me DE is much better than DE:HR (which I do really like, it's one of my favourite games of the past few years), and if you haven't played it then I can't recommend it enough, it's much better than DE:HR in that it has:

- a better skill points system (in DE it's separate from the aug system, wheras in DE:HR the skill points are just used for activating augs),

-more varied and better augs, all upgradeable,

- more atmospheric locations (though graphically *much* less impressive than DE:HR),

- more interesting characters and story than DE:HR,

- a far better weapon aim system (your aim improves as you upgrade your skills, much better than in DE:HR),

and that's not nostalgia, as I'm currently replaying it (for maybe the dozenth time in the slightly more than a decade that it's been out). A brilliant game, and my favourite on the PC and PS2.

Regarding Invisible War, I do like it a lot, but I think it's far behind both DE and DE:HR. IW is a great game, but a terrible Deus Ex game, as it removed so much of what we expect from a DE game.
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#4Samsaric_Spiral(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2011 5:27:56 AM
Deus Ex: The Conspiracy for Ps2 had some cut dialogue, long load times, some smaller areas, and etc. It was a terrible port I don't recommend. Play the original for PC and download the Biomod, New Vision, and HDTP mods.
#5Kerr AvonPosted 9/26/2011 8:41:19 AM
>Deus Ex: The Conspiracy for Ps2 had some cut dialogue, long load times, some smaller areas, and etc. It was a terrible port I don't recommend.

Actually it is a very good port , I think, with no cut dialogue that I'm aware of. It makes great use of the joypad, has a very well thought out on screen menu and invenory system, and has some real advantages over the PC version, i.e:

+ you never have to manually enter logins or passcodes, as the game does it automatically when you click to access the computer/electronic lock if you've read or found the codes,

+ the inventory is simpler to use,

+ slightly (and I mean slightly) better graphics than the PC version (although with mods the PC version looks *far* better),

+ you no longer pick up every bloody knife JC sees!), some disadvantages (the PS2 version cannot of course run third party mods, which is a *massive* advantage of the PC version - Shifter alone makes the PC version much better

+ no trouble running the game, whereas on the PC Deus Ex can be problematic (although http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ can get Deus Ex running on almost any Windows PC of sufficient hardware specs (i.e. almost any reasonable PC still in use),

and the following disadvantages:

- the PS2 version does not allow you to choose the skin colour of JC,

- you are stuck with the standard low resolution of the PS2, whereas on a PC you can choose much higher resolutions,

- the PC version supports gameplay and graphical mods,

- no multiplayer (the PS2 version totally lacks all multiplayer in Deus Ex),

- the inventory system is much simplified on the PS2, I prefer it this way, but others might prefer the more 'realistic' style of the PC version.

- the PS2 version has a hard coded weapon carrying limit of four weapons., whereas on the PC you can carry as many (or as few) weapons as your inventory will hold. This is both advantageous (since you can always carry four weapons, even if your inventory is already full), and disadvantageous (as the PC version allows you to carry more than four if you're willing to free the inventory space up by carrying fewer other items),

- simplified health system - no great loss in my opinion, but no doubt some people would prefer the PC version, which is more intelligent unusual,

For a far more detailed list of differences, see the breakdown at:

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/
---
#6Kerr AvonPosted 9/26/2011 8:41:47 AM
>Play the original for PC and download the Biomod, New Vision, and HDTP mods.

I've not yet tried Biomod (love Shifter though, which Biomod is based upon), and I'm going to try 2027 when I get home:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/2027

I'm really looking forward to this, it was only release a few days ago, and I've just found out.

Anyway, I do agree with you that the PC version is the definitive version, but think that the PS2 version is still well worth playing. Though I'll never understand why the PS2 version never fixed the flaw that when you drop a TNT box it explodes - you'd think JC would gently place it down!

If you want to see a bad port, see Unreal Tournament on the PS2 - it would be great, aside from it's inability to run the many great third party mods for the PC version, except they spoilt it with the world's most generous auto-aim, which cannot be turned off. If you have the rocket launcher, for example, then you can't lose as you only have to fire vaguely at the target to get a dead-centre bullseye. Getting a shock-combo everytime is just a matter of pressing Alt Fire then Fire, even if you move the crosshair your second shot still hits the first...

UT PS2 also lacks many of the things that makes UT PC so fantastic, such as many good mutators, a speed setting, support for more than two teams, the ability to define and deploy whatever bots you like, Last Man Standing mode, etc, but these failings don't matter when compared to the super-auto-aim which might make the game easy for new console FPS players to play UT PS2, but ruins it for those of us who don't want or need such extensive auto-aim (or any auto-aim at all, I always turn it off in games that allow this).

The worst console port I've ever seen though is Carmageddon 64. It's awful in every way (controls, speed, graphics, etc), it's the only driving game I know of where you don't feel like the car is moving (it seems like your car is static whilst the environment moves around you - the illusion of your movement is almost non-existant at times), the people (zombies) are three times the size of you car, the map is useless (play it* and see why), etc...

* No, don't play it. Trust me, don't play it!
---
#7Samsaric_Spiral(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2011 11:22:46 AM
The Ps2 version does have dialogue cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Pay attention to the Youtube boxes.

The dialogue was also cut in some other areas too. For example, this wasn't in the Ps2 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3aiKuzNeno

I can accept long load times, smaller areas, and a poorer interface, but I will not accept cut dialogue that tampers with the story-telling.
#8Kerr AvonPosted 9/30/2011 7:00:24 AM
>The Ps2 version does have dialogue cut.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the links.

I don't know why they cut the dialogue, it doesn't take up too much disc space (the PC version is on CD, the PS2 is on DVD) or make it dificult for the PS2 users to understand.

>I can accept long load times, smaller areas, and a poorer interface, but I will not accept cut dialogue that tampers with the story-telling.

Even with the cut dialogue it's still the same game - I've played through both (PC and PS2) several times, and never noticed the missing dialogue, which (to me) shows that it's no great loss, although of course any cut dialogue is a minus point.

And I don't agree that the PS2 has a poorer interface, as for a joypad it's great. And the areas aren't mainly smaller, it's just that they have more load points spread through them, to make up for the PS2's lower memory pool.
---
#9taw2000Posted 10/22/2011 4:21:44 PM
Deus Ex IW was the first of the series that I played, and got me to play the first one. So pretty much IW is my first and I have to love it!
---
no signatures please....