Best Fatal Frame / Which to Start With?

#1ShatteredRiftPosted 7/6/2009 1:20:31 AM
Which Fatal Frame is the "best" for a player looking to get into the series for the first time?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=529305&topic=44236050

^This thread asked the same question and basically said, "II is better than the first, and III ties up loose ends in the first two."

Is that still the general opinion of this Board? I had jotted down a note to pick up II based on the reviews, but now that I've found a copy (which, unfortunately, is more expensive used at GameStop than new online) I'm wondering which direction I should go in.

I'll be asking this same question on all three Boards to hopefully get around the usual Board biases.
---
Check out my Digimon fanfic "Illusory Memories" on fanfiction.net
#2JeynnePosted 7/6/2009 2:32:17 PM
I recommend starting with the first game. That being said, you can also play the second game, as it has very few ties to the first, so you won't be lost. I think the general opinion most people have is that the second game is the best in the series. But the first is amazing. :)
---
PSN: MyRestlessDreams
#3SeijiroMakabePosted 7/6/2009 2:32:47 PM
You definitely want to play III last. Between the first two...well, Fatal Frame II is much easier, and could technically be regarded as a prequel to the first. The only things that ties I and II together (apart from the camera, obviously) are two characters that appear in both games, but there aren't any spoilers for I in II or for II in I.
I'd personally recommend that you play II then I then III, but if you want to play I then II then III that will work just fine. Just bear in mind that the first is overall more difficult so the second can kind of break you into the gameplay.
---
Fassad is now going to plummet.
#4SDSSocietyPosted 7/6/2009 9:21:14 PM
To me they are all great. Start with FF1 and go through em all.

With that being said I must say that the little changes made with FF2 from FF1 really made the game more playable imo. Starting with 2 and then going to 1 will probably be frustrating for new players.

I don't know. You can't go wrong really with any of em imo. :)

---
Trick us again child...and your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell!
#5ShatteredRift(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2009 12:17:46 PM
I decided to order the Xbox versions of the first two off of Ebay. I'll cross my fingers that ordering the first (which is apparently more expensive) wasn't a mistake. I'm getting the overall impression that I need to play through the first first to be able to enjoy it properly.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably be checking back in here after I get and play through the first and second to give my thoughts.
---
Check out my Digimon fanfic "Illusory Memories" on fanfiction.net
#6SeijiroMakabePosted 7/9/2009 5:01:17 PM
All right. I hope you enjoy them!
---
#7JeynnePosted 7/10/2009 9:43:55 AM
Getting the first game wasn't a mistake. :) It's incredible. And I don't think it's nearly as hard as people say it is, with the exception of one ghost.

---
#8SeijiroMakabePosted 7/10/2009 12:19:30 PM
Which ghost is that? The Family Master?
---
#9JeynnePosted 7/10/2009 2:04:58 PM
Blinded. I think she's my most hated enemy in any game I've ever played. The only thing that comes close to that is Nyx from Persona 3, and that's only because it was a two hour boss fight during which all I did was heal the entire time.
---
#10SeijiroMakabePosted 7/10/2009 2:42:49 PM
Oh. Her. Right. -_-
---