This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

frostfire bolt v fireball...

#1XX-XALBERTX-XXPosted 1/1/2011 2:24:12 AM
which do you think will end up being a geared fire mages spell of choice?

personally i think frostfire bolt will eventually take over due to the glyph + fire mages mastery to increase dot damage from fire spells dps wise. what is everyone elses thought on the matter?
---
"Hey-chicka-bum-bum!"-Caboose, Red VS Blue
"All I know is that it was slimy and it had lotsa teeth."-Church, Red VS Blue
#2Nikedawg08Posted 1/1/2011 2:24:55 AM
I don't care which one is better, Frostfire bolt is prettier SO IM GONNA USE IT!
---
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/Nikedawg/MNC.jpg?t=1288315894
^ You cannot unsee, <3 Monday Night Combat.
#3pegusus123456Posted 1/1/2011 2:27:31 AM
Yeah, I'll have to go with FFB for the reasons listed.
---
What's the difference between a Scourge and a Forsaken?
One drops loot when it dies, the other drops group when it dies. - Sulticune
#4razoreyePosted 1/1/2011 2:30:12 AM
The theorycrafting says the difference is less than 1% in T11 gear, so its personal preference.

---
A Leader of the Shinies
Killing the creator was a traditional method of patent protection ~ Pratchett
#5pies12Posted 1/1/2011 2:34:26 AM
FB is better DPS but ooms you.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#6EnclosurePosted 1/1/2011 2:47:59 AM

FB is better DPS but ooms you.

You say that like they dont have the same mana cost.
---
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1678/87591610.jpg
#7pies12Posted 1/1/2011 3:45:15 AM
Single Target Fire DPS
Use Hot Streak whenever possible, recast Living Bomb after every explosion, use Flame Orb whenever possible, and spam your filler nuke in between. Filler nuke can be Scorch, Fireball, or Frostfire Bolt. Fireball is the highest dps, but you will not have enough mana to use Fireball at all times. Make sure Critical Mass is always up (Unless another Mage/Warlock is applying an equivalent buff). Aim to have enough mana to cast Fireball during Molten Fury range (-35% Health), Boss weakened phases and during powerful trinket on-use or passive proc periods.

That's all I'm going off.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#8pegusus123456Posted 1/1/2011 3:47:19 AM
Maybe they meant you wouldn't always be able to cast FB or FFB and should cast mana-free Scorch.
---
What's the difference between a Scourge and a Forsaken?
One drops loot when it dies, the other drops group when it dies. - Sulticune
#9MajinUltimaPosted 1/1/2011 3:51:46 AM
Something to keep in mind with respect to mana is that Glyph of Fireball gives it a higher crit rate than Frostfire (which you would presumably need to glyph in order to use FFB in place of FB anyway). I expect this would be a slight mana saver with the extra chance for Hot Streak procs, as well as some additional refunds from Master of Elements.

It just seems to me that if their dps is nearly the same, Frostfire Bolt is just plain wasteful on mana.

---
"Yes, the desire to protect something is, at the same time, none other than the wish for something to violate it."
#10Ivany2008Posted 1/1/2011 3:59:09 AM
from what ive read its either scorch or frostfire bolt

fireball lost all usefulness when they decided to do away with the dot. its insane casttime combined with the fact that it costs so much mana makes it pointless to use in a rotation for fire.

scorch costs no mana, is less than half the cast time of fireball and with pre-raid gear can deal around 8-10k damage on a crit with the chance to proc hot streak.

i can see fireball becoming more useful when people have better gear with more haste just to reduce that aweful cast time to something more decent but at this point scorch is the way to go
---
The teacher said we could be anything we wanted when we grow up.
He wasnt talking to you son, now go out back and practice digging some holes.