This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tips to Prevent WoW from Overheating Laptop

#1ShadowTamerPosted 2/7/2011 9:52:00 PM
Hey everyone,
So...as the topic title suggests, I'm looking for some suggestions on how to keep my laptop from continually overheating from playing WoW. Any sliders I should have turned down? I've got a nice laptop, but thanks to NVIDIA and their 8M Series of chips my GPU overheats. I probably need to send it in to Gateway, but I won't have time for awhile. So in the meantime any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Oh and I already have a cooling pad for it which doesn't stop the GPU temps from hitting 100c's before shutting off.
#2MekhasephPosted 2/7/2011 9:57:06 PM
If you already have a cooling pad, and its shutting itself off, you need to send it in immediately. Continued use, even at lower temperatures, can cause egregious damage to your motherboard.
---
"They're like seeing a zombie of your best friend walking down the street and knowing you gotta go get your shotgun and put him out of his misery."
#3ShadowTamer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2011 10:13:59 PM
I don't get how it can be that hot, but the laptop doesn't even feel all that warm.
#4Argg0Posted 2/7/2011 10:15:45 PM
It's a Gateway problem. I play on one too (with a 9800). It usually happens in around the world (most the time it happened to me was while doing some Archeology), not in raids, right?

From what I've researched, it's the power supply that is the problem, though, I haven't tested. I'm planning on buying a more potent one to see if it fixes the problem.
---
Our Drunker Master picked up the only remaining improvised weapon which would work, the dwarf. Since the dwarf was lawful we now had a lawful aligned weapon.
#5VortaVersePosted 2/7/2011 10:20:40 PM
Plug it in and take the battery out. Make sure it stays plugged in.

Prop it up so that most of the bottom (most importantly, the fan) is uncovered.

Put a small fan behind the computer.

Thats how I do it on my craptop when I have to play on it.
#6userperson100Posted 2/7/2011 10:23:06 PM
If you're saying that the GPU reaches 100 degrees Celsius and then shuts itself off, you need to stop using it immediately. Not only could that likely melt half the components in your laptop, but it could damage the surface it's sitting on, including your legs or a wooden table.
#7ShadowTamer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2011 10:33:23 PM
I've got a P173X FX Gateway "Gaming" Laptop...Bought it a couple years ago and it's supposed to chew through anything you throw at it. It's been having the problem since the beginning though with games like Crysis and Sims 3. I just stopped playing them. WoW worked forever though until recently. I have a feeling it's a problem with the GPU since NVIDIA supposedly release some bad chips in the 8M Series.
#8Last SoldierPosted 2/7/2011 11:59:54 PM
ROFL if it reaches 100 Celsius I think you should be prepared to call 911 at at any given moment. Or at least have first aid kits ready.
---
Finally got rid of my old sig about Pokemon after 10 years, DARN that's how long I've been on GameFAQs T_______________________________________________________T
#9asdf1234qwerPosted 2/8/2011 12:10:06 AM
Get a fan and position it to blow on your laptop
---
Sig
#10pies12Posted 2/8/2011 12:10:28 AM
The best tip to prevent WoW from overheating a laptop: stop pretending laptops are for gaming.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.