This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dumb question: what does "kite" mean?

#1farcolfeyPosted 5/19/2011 6:27:47 AM
I see it used all the time, and I've tried to pick up the meaning in context, but I sure don't want to get it wrong if I ever need to "kite" something.

I know it usually applies to adds, and it's something a tank typically does, but sometimes DPS needs to "kite" as well.

If someone could give me a top to bottom explanation, I'd sure appreciate it
---
This sentence has exactly threee errorrs.
#2SalvatorePosted 5/19/2011 6:29:10 AM
Simply, you keep the targets moving so they can't hit you, usually. Sometimes the word "kite" is used incorrectly to just describe movement of the target, but it's proper usage is to keep the target moving without letting it hit anyone.
---
I am the man who arranges the blocks that descend upon me from up above
They come down and I spin them around and they fit in the ground like hand in glove
#3LinkofHyrule991Posted 5/19/2011 6:31:10 AM
Holding aggro so a mob will follow, but also staying out of range of it's attack.
---
It's over, you've lost the game. -Near
I don't remember Redd White changing his name to Bandit Keith. Not even in America.-Aceburner
#4NiftyManZPosted 5/19/2011 6:41:02 AM
Basically, it is holding the mob's aggro without letting it hit you or anyone else (usually). This way, the mob stays occupied on one person, and limits their damage. Frost mages used to be used a good amount of the time to kit mobs.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#5kmanweissPosted 5/19/2011 6:49:10 AM
Think of it as flying a kite. You are you and the kite is the creature you are kiting. You hold the aggro and pull the creature with you as you move. DPS typically do this to distract an enemy so the rest of the group can focus on another target. The use of CC to slow or stop the movement of a creature can aid in kiting especially when dealing with enemies that are faster than you.
#6farcolfey(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2011 7:39:14 AM
So what DPS classes are best for this?

I can see how frost mages would be good, with the freezes and slows. Hunters with the traps, maybe?
---
This sentence has exactly threee errorrs.
#7EuridinePosted 5/19/2011 8:17:14 AM
Mage (any spec but frost is best)
Hunter (any spec)
Frost Death Knight

I think that covers them all
---
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.
#8MacrossSpecialPosted 5/19/2011 9:59:38 AM
warlocks and druids also
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#9NitroRatPosted 5/19/2011 10:05:40 AM
Frost mages are no longer good at kiting?

What?
---
I don't think I have ever seen religion compared to public urination before.- TheBlueAvenger
#10SnappySnakePosted 5/19/2011 10:12:08 AM
They're still good... just not as good as before.
---
Bolvar Fordragon receives: [Helm of the Lich King]
Tirion: WTF NINJA