This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hunters: Should I go Beast Mastery or Marksmanship?

#1Man__In__BlackPosted 6/2/2011 2:19:49 PM(edited)
I'm looking for both DPS efficiency and "fun factor".

My hunter's already level 68 and has been enjoying Beast Mastery up to this point, but next level, I reach the talent "Beast Mastery", and that's prompted me to think. On one hand, I find the idea of being able to tame the rarer beasts out there very interesting -- hunting down and taming spirit beasts, core hounds, dinosaurs -- but at the same time, I very much find myself enjoying my wolf. I've had a wolf the entire time I've been leveling (always exchanging it for the newest cool reskin I come across -- currently using the armored black ones from Ramparts). I don't know if I want to bid goodbye to using my wolf forever in favor of dinosaurs and things like that.

Is it crazy talk to stick to Beast Mastery and not primarily focus on exotic animals? I might do it anyway... I mean, I could probably get used to the idea of a T-Rex or Core Hound at my side pretty quickly, but I want to know so I can think. Either way, how's marksmanship? The whole "sharpshooting expert" thing has always appealed to me too just as much as the taming thing.
---
Always nice talking to you, GameFAQs."
#2xMePhYxPosted 6/2/2011 2:16:12 PM
Dual-spec

/topic
---
Playing: Bioshock II (PC)
Waiting For: Diablo III
#3Man__In__Black(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2011 2:19:27 PM
xMePhYx posted...
Dual-spec

/topic

Well derp.

I'm talking about which to primarily focus on. Obviously I can hit up the one I opt not to do as an off-spec, but it is still an OFF-spec.
---
#4xMePhYxPosted 6/2/2011 2:20:51 PM
Well use beast mastery in PVP and marksmanship in PVE.

If you want research, try elitistjerks.com for PVE, and arenajunkies.com for PVP

Anything else?
---
Playing: Bioshock II (PC)
Waiting For: Diablo III
#5Man__In__Black(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2011 2:24:53 PM
I'm more a PvE guy, so maybe I'll end up going Marks, though I did read a guide on EJ about PvE Beast Mastery. Not sure how viable it is, though.

Beyond that, I'm more just asking for opinions on what fellow hunters prefer to play.
---
#6Jamirus2Posted 6/2/2011 2:25:14 PM
Even if you don't use the exotic animals, you would still get extra talent points for your wolf.

Or, you could get the Spectral wolf!

I, personally, leveled my hunter from 1-60 as BM, then switched to survival, which does amazing DPS through BC and WotLK dungeons.

When i solo stuff from 70-85, I did Marksman, because I could easy 2-3 shot everything.

I just hit 85 today, and i've been doing MM for questing and dungeons, and i easily pull 10K dps without thinking.
---
Pokemon Heart Gold Friend Code. **2579 5410 9795**
#7shawn10000000Posted 6/2/2011 2:34:39 PM
Whichever you like better, they're pretty even before high gear levels (talking heroic raids)
In terms of single target dps, aoe is definitally better as marks.
---
Balthier Basched his Penelo into Fran's Ashe in the back of his Vaan. -thetrueoskar
#8Xenofan0032Posted 6/2/2011 2:41:39 PM
MM for PvP and PvE, imo.
#9Major GamerPosted 6/2/2011 3:14:02 PM
In terms of efficiency, MM wins in both PvP and PvE.

In terms of fun, you have to play them yourself to determine that.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#10master_theifPosted 6/2/2011 3:16:07 PM
I know they pooped on SV a little bit, but I loved leveling as SV and end game with it.
---
OPINIONS! EVERYWHERE!