This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Paladin tanking vs. DK tanking

#1centurion911Posted 8/2/2011 6:42:55 PM
I am looking for people who have played Paladin tanks and DK tanks. I would like to know what the main differences are in survivability, cooldown usage, and how easy it is for each one. Also, I would like to hear from healers who have healed both in 5 mans or raids.

I play a DK tank and am thinking about gearing my Paladin to tank. DK's have miserable mitigation and though I love tanking with my DK, damage spikes tend to give my healers fits. I wanna know how Paladin tanking is in relation to it.
---
I follow people around on their slow mounts and say " I CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAR FOX!"
-Cereburus Q
#2LittlemikescPosted 8/2/2011 6:48:55 PM
IMO, goes something like this

Warrior/Paladin
Bear
DK

I Main a Prot Pally, as for Avoidance & CD's, I stay alive usually alot longer than our other tanks in our raids, which is a Druid & DK sometimes and our healers have said over and over that I am sooo much easier to heal than them, equally geared mind you. I have never ran along side of a Warrior tank in the current content, but I hear good things, if not better than a paladin. BUT I believe we have more CD's to use for survivability. Even our DK tank admits, it kinda sucks tanking with him, he has a Paladin Tank as an alt & loves it much more.
---
"Imagination is not an empirical or superadded power of consciousness, it is the whole of consciousness as it realizes its freedom."
-J.P. Sartre
#3Sp00kPosted 8/2/2011 6:49:40 PM
You have more CDs/timers to keep track of as a DK and take more damage (ignoring magic damage). DKs are terrible in current heroics (not 5 mans). Tanking as a Paladin is pretty simple by comparison. You have less to pay attention to outside of aggro and fight mechanics.
---
If you torture a stat badly enough it will tell you anything.
-John Hollinger @ 2011 Sloan Conference
#4centurion911(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2011 6:50:24 PM
littlemikesc posted...
IMO, goes something like this

Warrior/Paladin
Bear
DK

I Main a Prot Pally, as for Avoidance & CD's, I stay alive usually alot longer than our other tanks in our raids, which is a Druid & DK sometimes and our healers have said over and over that I am sooo much easier to heal than them, equally geared mind you. I have never ran along side of a Warrior tank in the current content, but I hear good things, if not better than a paladin. BUT I believe we have more CD's to use for survivability. Even our DK tank admits, it kinda sucks tanking with him, he has a Paladin Tank as an alt & loves it much more.

Thank you, I tanked as a Paladin in WotLK and I believe I will do it again now. As much as I love my DK, I miss blocking and mitigation.
---
I follow people around on their slow mounts and say " I CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAR FOX!"
-Cereburus Q
#5centurion911(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2011 6:52:37 PM
By the way, how is AoE threat for Paladins? On fights like the Hatcher spawning boss in the trollroics my DK has to really work to keep the aggro of the hawks as they spawn.
---
-Cereburus Q
#6LittlemikescPosted 8/2/2011 6:56:38 PM
AoE is the easiest thing for pallys. That will be your least concern!!
---
"Imagination is not an empirical or superadded power of consciousness, it is the whole of consciousness as it realizes its freedom."
-J.P. Sartre
#7centurion911(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2011 6:59:02 PM
littlemikesc posted...
AoE is the easiest thing for pallys. That will be your least concern!!

Ok, thank you very much :) You've been a great help
---
-Cereburus Q
#8Dissonance2003Posted 8/2/2011 11:24:36 PM
DK tanking is getting to the point where it needs a buff to stay viable (though I'm sure bears need one too). Paladin tanking is far easier.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/DrDissonance
grimgastronomicon.wordpress.com
#9TacketoPosted 8/3/2011 1:47:57 AM
Dissonance2003 posted...
DK tanking is getting to the point where it needs a buff to stay viable (though I'm sure bears need one too). Paladin tanking is far easier.

It's actually sad how true this is. Coming from a DK tank, I find tanking things as my warrior alt to be so much easier. I think the worst part of it is that every Blood DK I have ever spoken to recently has nothing but bad things to say about our performance in comparison with others, yet blizzard still believes that they are in a good place.
---
Just an abdominal flex from Jecht makes all women in a thirty foot radius fall to the ground in a spasm of blatant fertility and pleasure. -ChromeRoot
#10legoslave4829Posted 8/3/2011 1:48:41 AM
My main is a dk tank just go paladin lol its better in almost every way D:
---
I wish I was cool.