This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay so I'm new...

#1OSKarmaPosted 1/30/2008 9:33:43 AM
Playing the trial account (info in sig lol?) and I actually find this game more confusing than FFXI ever was. Or I may just think that because I'm so used to FFXI, but anyways.

Apparently Warriors are tanks in this game, I had assumed it was a DD/DPS job. So basically, trying to figure out how to properly spend my talent points to become a decent tank eventually, how to gear properly, etc. Is there a problem if I just grind my way up by solo quests/grinding and then make the hop over to instances or is this something I should do along the way?

I also haven't picked up a single trade skill yet because I have no clue what will work well for me and what wouldn't. Right now, I have 66s 30c to my name and people are saying I should already have gold (then I get lol'd at when I tell them I don't have any trade skills yet and that's my problem but not offering any advice on how to correct my issue.)

Finally, what are some things that you wish you had known when you first started? Things you wish you had done, things you wish you hadn't done, stuff like that.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great. Thanks.
---
FFXI: Lutz - Remora - MNK5 Yes I started again. Kill me now.
WoW: Luto - Emerald Dream - Human Warrior 14
#2NiftyManZPosted 1/30/2008 9:39:26 AM
1. level as arms or fury. Leveling prot is not an easy task and makes the game much longer (i know trhis one from experience)
2. As a warrior, mining and blacksmithing is a good way to get some nice equips early on.
2a. To make money, pick up mining and skinning instead
3. Get first aid. It makes being a warrior much easier
4. Tanking early on in instances will be benificial to you in forming both friends and learning how to use your class propperly. You do not NEED to group until you are 70, but it is GREATLY reccommended that you do so.
5. Worldofwarcraft.com has a lot of useful pages under the getting started collumn, i recommend reading some of those.

Also, don't worry about money. As long as you don't waste it, you will have enough for the little that you "need" to buy in this game.
---
::Dips pistol into mountain of whipped cream and licks it off:: Mhmmm... Pistol whip... ~ Spen
#3ACAblackpantherPosted 1/30/2008 9:41:44 AM
^what NiftyManZ said
---
"Q: Is Frostmourne going to drop?
A: You'll have to be able to kill Arthas."
#4OSKarma(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2008 9:42:29 AM
What is arms/fury >.>? Is that DPS?
---
#5ArmadillaPosted 1/30/2008 9:44:50 AM
Don't spend money on anything. Don't buy things on the auction house. If you want gear, run instances. Once you hit level 40 you'll have plenty of cash for a mount. If you level in Arms you can still tank lower level instances pretty well.

Useful addons:

auctioneer: will help you by suggesting what to sell auctions for and search AH easily

omen threat meter: will calculate how much aggro you have, helps with tanking

ct map mod or cartographer: you will complete quests super fast by going to site's like thottbot.com and wow.allakhazam.com and searching the quest name. Find the coordinates to where you can complete the quest and use the map mod to locate the coordinates.

you can get these at wow.curse.com
they are easy to install
#6NiftyManZPosted 1/30/2008 9:46:30 AM
when you look at your talent tree, you have three categories
Arms || Fury || Prot

Arms = it is a dps/pvp spec that allows the user to specialize in a large slow two-handed weapon (my favorite spec)
Fury = dps spec that allows the user to duel-wield with great efficience. This is considered the best spec to level and dps in, but arms is not far behind
Prot = is a tanking spec. Your damage output is pretty crappy, but you ability to tank in an instance is amazing. You become the best single target tank in the game.

Note: All three specs can efficiently tank instances until you hit about level 68-ish. Of course, this depends on skill as tanking is (in my opinion) the hardest aspect of the game.
---
::Dips pistol into mountain of whipped cream and licks it off:: Mhmmm... Pistol whip... ~ Spen
#7The bear75Posted 1/30/2008 9:47:12 AM
The main thing I wish I'd known starting out was

Use the auction house whenever possible
#8RudigerPosted 1/30/2008 9:54:57 AM
You start getting talent points at level 10. They can be put into three talent trees: arms, fury or protection. Very broadly: arms is about big two hand weapons and burst dps, fury is dual wield and sustained dps, and protection is one-hander plus shield tank/defensive role. Arms is a fun all-around spec and a lot faster for leveling/questing than prot, which is my favorite.

In addition to whatever main weapon(s) you use, maintain proficiency with a one-hander and keep a shield for instances. You can be arms (or fury) and do ok as a tank until high level.

For professions, mining is very good. You can make some useful armor and weapons with blacksmith, but dont expect to make a lot of money with it. And there are big gaps in the smithing list, so you will have to rely on quest rewards, drops, and auction house for items also.

Auctioneer is a very good add-on even at early levels. Don't buy a lot until you have done several scans. Once you have a good feel for prices on your realm, you can use it to your advantage. Playing the game is easy. Staying ahead of the equipment curve is hard for warriors. Learning to use the AH is probably the best "passive" thing you can do that help you all the way through.
===
#9OSKarma(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2008 9:59:37 AM
Alright, well I got those addons, gonna run around now and see what I can accomplish. Thanks for all your help guys.
---
#10dredlordPosted 1/30/2008 11:22:43 AM
auctioneer is broken, but other than that, excellent advice in this topic
---
Gaming is serious business