This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warlock: Destruction or Affliction?

#1solid_snake650Posted 2/22/2008 10:16:14 AM
What is the better to specialize in? Also, can you undo where you placed your talent points?
#2sicNMEPosted 2/22/2008 10:31:46 AM
destruction is too mana inefficient until much, much later in the game. like after you get some gear at level 70.

affliction is nice. many people prefer it.

but what makes a lock stand out from mages is the demons it can summon, especially the felguard.

i went demonology until 70. had no problems. i repsecced just the other day to affliction. i had problems. maybe i'm dependent on the felguard, idk. i was doing the drain tanking that i've read about on various sites, but it doesnt seem to suit my style.

so i'm going back to demo. my guild already has a few aff locks too, so i'm good on that. then later on i might go destro.

i also noticed that when i respecced affliction, my spell damage went down by a good bit. maybe from about 760 to about 675. and my crit chance went way down too.

if you were to ask me, demonology is where its at. aff is nice though, it just depends on what you like.
---
Game experience may change during online play.
#3EnclosurePosted 2/22/2008 10:39:21 AM
but what makes a lock stand out from mages is the demons it can summon, especially the felguard.

I disagree. DoTs and lifetap make the warlock out of a mage.
I <3 affliction, neutral to destro, hate demonologists.
My favorite thing in the world is chain banishing felguards while dots tick away at a destro lock.

But for leveling purposes, affliction and demon are about the same. affliction kills a bunch in the time it takes for dots to tick, usually 15-21 secs.
Demon chain kills one at a time quickly, about 10 secs each.
neither has much downtime.

oh, and lol@ demonologists in raids.
---
You said no to a yandere? Hmmm cremation will clear the mess easier.
#4sicNMEPosted 2/22/2008 10:43:25 AM
^^lol go to elitist jerks. huge guide on raiding with felguard.
---
Game experience may change during online play.
#5EnclosurePosted 2/22/2008 10:43:42 AM
>>>sic

the reason your stats went down from demonology is from master demonologist, and a few other things like fel armor buff.
Demonology= static +stats
Afflic and especially destro = %boosts.

thus demo is better if your own stats arnt that great. afflic and destro even more so scale better, which is why people say go destro when you are well geared, t5 and above.
---
#6DragonFire44Posted 2/22/2008 11:19:04 AM
From Enclosure Posted 2/22/2008 12:39:21 PM #003
oh, and lol@ demonologists in raids.

I'm guessing you've never been past Gruul's.

---
We share our mothers' health.
#7EnclosurePosted 2/22/2008 11:20:32 AM
You guess right, but only for my lock.
---
#8DragonFire44Posted 2/22/2008 11:27:51 AM
With 2/5 T5, 6/44/11 or a variant is very viable in raids.
---
We share our mothers' health.