This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alliance = bad guys, Horde = Good guys

#31AnagramPosted 10/21/2008 4:36:02 PM
Christ, if we really must do this again....

Minor spoilers

The Alliance have every reason to not like the Orcs. The older Orcs voluntarily chose to drink the blood of demons, or at least follow orders to do so. The younger Orcs, not so much, though.
They murdereda ton of Humans, destroyed Stormwind, and basically ruined everything. It's true they weren't in control of their actions, but choosing to give up control of your actions means you're responsible for what you do when you lack control.
Grom Hellscream, who's been freed of demoic influence, drinks the blood of Mannoroth, knowing full well what it will do, and he kills Cenarius, a demigod of the Night Elves. Then the Horde hails him as a hero after he dies. Plus, the Horde knows full well that nature is the Night Elves' thing, and they go around Kalimdor cutting down trees instead of finding alternatives. The Night Elves have plenty of reason to hate the Orcs, and their allies.
The Draeni were nearly wiped out because of the Orcs, very much like the Humans. They do seem like the forgiving type, though.
The Dwarves and Gnomes I can't really think of much, but they're allies of the Humans and High Elves who suffered because of the Orcs.

The Alliance was totally justified in sticking the Orcs in internment camps, though not what they did to them once they were there. The Orcs had just pillaged Human lands twice, and the Alliance had no reason to think they wouldn't again if given the chance since no one knew about the demons. What, were they going to listen to Thrall, the son of an Orc Warlord? Admittingly, Thrall's father was one of the Orcs who didn't drink demon blood (if I recall correctly), but the Alliance had no way of knowing that.
The Undead actively cultivate research on how to kill the living. They don't even hide it, and they test it on prisoners. That's a serious reason to stand against them for the paladin-happy Alliance, and that's not even considering many Undead starting quests involve killing innocent Humans basically because they want their land.
The Blood Elves were wronged by the Alliance, yes. But then they go and enslave a Naaru? You don't go and justify that, and they didn't even try. Yeah, the Naaru let it happen because he wanted to save the Blood Elves or whatever, but no one knew that.
I don't think anyone has a problem with the Tauren or Trolls other than that they're in the Horde, though.

Likewise, the Horde has plenty of reason to despise the Alliance.
The Humans never considered the possibility that the Orcs weren't bloodthirsty monsters intent on their doom and were something better. The Alliance has consistently not trusted the Orcs in any way even after their reform.
The Undead feel betrayed by the Light leaving them, and their Light-happy cousins now despise them for being undead. In addition, they're the closest geographically to the Scourge (maybe the Blood Elves, I don't know) and have to deal with the Scarlet Crusade, more Light-happy paladins who hate them.
The Blood Elves were completely betrayed by the Alliance, and the Horde are the only faction in Azeroth willing to give them the chance they deserve.

The Humans won't trust the Orcs and Undead. The Dwarves go around mining and digging where they don't belong. Gnome technology runs contrary to the more nature-based Horde. Night Elves... won't give them their trees? I don't think the Horde has a problem with the Draeni, though.
The Tauren and Trolls are kind of just there, I guess. Like the Gnomes.
---
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005
#32AnagramPosted 10/21/2008 4:38:37 PM
neither side are evil, but the Alliance in general are douchbags. The Alliance made the Blood Elves and Forsaken what they are today.
The Alliance did nothing to the Forsaken, and the while they forced the Blood Elves away, the Blood Elves were the ones who chose demonic energy as a source of power.
---
#33SczoydPosted 10/21/2008 4:39:30 PM
I have 70s for both sides, and I will say that the horde quests do seem more on the evil side than Alliance, but it's mostly limited to the Forsaken and (a few of the) Blood Elf quests.
I wouldn't call either side the good guys or bad guys though.
---
Sanity is just a lack of understanding. At least, that's what the voices tell me. (ER WoT)
#34somberfoxPosted 10/21/2008 4:44:32 PM
The power of light naturally exists within the alliance.
The power of light only exists within the horde by imprisonment of a holy being.

The alliance exists because all the races have an honest respect for each other.
The horde exists because of the orcs, tauren, and trolls while the blood elves and forsaken only ally with them to use them as tools for their own selfish goals.

Therefore, horde can not = good guys
#35AnagramPosted 10/21/2008 4:47:22 PM
Wait, hold on. The Tauren are, objectively, good guys. The Trolls are mostly good guys, though there is one quest given by a Troll to murder the Prince of Stromgarde to rob from his father's grave. The Orcs, like the Humans, have too much diversity to call them good or bad. The Undead are the closest to actual bad guys.
---
#36CutieWolfyGrrlPosted 10/21/2008 5:01:53 PM
yeah trolls are totally awesome and good

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Jin%27Zil%27s_Forest_Magic

OH WAIT
---
xep624
#37MidgetSnowmanPosted 10/21/2008 5:12:05 PM
The power of light only exists within the horde by imprisonment of a holy being.

actually

*SPOILERS FOR SUNWELL*

at the beginning of the queldanas dailies, M'uru is kidnapped by kael and taken to QD. the blood knights make pilgrimage to meet A'dal, find out M'uru was willingly suplying them the light to help them regain their honor, the Blood Knights immediately swear allegiance to the Naaru and reform to using Light freely given through faith rather than stealing.

later, after the defeat of corrupoted M'uru ad Kiljaeden, Velen and Liadrin arrive, and using the remains of M'uru, reignite the Sunwell , which is now not only once more active, meaqning the blood elves have lost their cirppling mana addiction symptoms, but the Sunwell radiates the Light rather than mana, giving all blood elves freely available magic that is pure and wholesome.

so Blood Elves post-bc actually use the light because the light willingly supplies itself to them.
---
That's it. I'm converting to weeabooism, desu. - destroy everything || Gamertag: Midgetsnowman
#38BandarnoPosted 10/21/2008 5:14:58 PM
The Night Elves that are still alive today and have been around for thousands of years have done more for Azeroth than any other race. They fought against both demons and fellow Night Elves (highborne) 10,000 years ago and pretty much gave up their current way of life for a completely new one. Then, they helped defend against and fought off the Silithid, eventually locking them away. Most recently, they gave up their immortality to save the entire world against Archimonde and the Burning Legion. Any bitterness or rudeness they may show to the other races of Azeroth does not outweigh all the good the current Night Elves have done.
#39AnagramPosted 10/21/2008 6:29:19 PM
Be fair. The Night Elves also caused some of the disasters they fixed, but yes, they're good guys, even if they can be enormous jerkasses.
---
#40axman36Posted 10/21/2008 6:38:20 PM
Arguing over which side, Alliance vs Horde, is good or bad is like trying to figure out which side of the Civil War was good or bad.

I mean seriously... Its not much that one side is evil or good, its just that they are in war, and they have their reason for war.
---
I have a different opinion.