This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DK Tanking?

#1TheHunter56Posted 11/22/2008 12:27:00 PM
I am leveling my DK through Northrend and I an trying to make myself more accessible to being accepted into groups by specing to tank, but the only problem is I haven't ever tanked anything before much less as a DK.

Do any of you have any hints or tips about how to tank well as a DK?
#2TheHunter56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2008 7:13:56 PM
bump
#3frostyboyPosted 11/22/2008 7:19:28 PM
-Know how to handle adds and multiple mob pulls. This means using pestilence, death and decay, and possibly blood boil.

-Manage your cooldowns effectively! This is likely the most important aspect of DK tank, as they really make a difference. Use Icebound Fortitude when a boss frenzies or enrages, or with mutliple mob pulls.
---

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ -Red |||||||||||||| -Green ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] -Blue
#4_Team_Legend_Posted 11/22/2008 8:02:51 PM
I'll add some stuff.

-Your like the boss, and you should always be the party leader. Tell hunters to turn off their pet's Growl, ext. Mark various mobs, which will tell people which one to attack first.

-Never, and I mean NEVER, run away if your about to die. Your the tank, you are suppost to take damage and die for the group if you have to.

-Protect your healer, healer dies, you die. You die, group dies.

-If several members of your party are being attacked, immediately save the healer first, then go ahead and save others.

-If your health gets low, don't worry, chances are your healer is all over it.

-Don't be nervous, it doesn't help, and you tend to be below average when you are.

-This is just a general rule, and this is how it goes...
Healer dies? Tank's fault.
Tank dies? Healer's fault.
DPS dies? Healer and Tank's fault.
You have to live with that.

-It's your call to run or not, make sure everyone else is out of the instance before you leave.

-People are going to yell at you if you mess up, people are going to kick you or leave group. You have to deal with it. Some people are very helpful, when I tanked my first instance, this Paladin had to walk me through everything, we had to wipe like 5 times lol.

-Have fun.
---
Zenu, Level 70, Sisters of Elune, Proud Druid, Night Elf
<Deuce Down>
#5CrazyFool319Posted 11/22/2008 8:13:15 PM
Tanking has gotten easier and smart players know when its the tanks fault there was a wipe. Unless you continually mess up you wont get booted. Chances are you wont get booted anyways, the group will just leave.

One major pointer is besides using your aoes like death and decay, follow a marking scheme to the T. Skull goes down, but once you establish a high enough threat on the mob start with the next mob. By the time the rogue or whatever has started to steal threat the mob should be dead.

And for gods sake, please spec correctly for tanking. Thats the biggest problem with DK tanks, people not speccing for it.
#6cyborg99sreturnPosted 11/22/2008 8:13:54 PM
You always wanna start off with Icy Touch and Plague Strike, then you use Pestilence for AoE Threat to keep mobs off the healers.
If...
It's an AoE pull as Frost, use Howling Blast, then Blood Boil.
It's an AoE pull as Blood(lol @ Blood tanks)/Unholy, use DnD.
It's a normal pull, use your FU and your Blood Rune(I like Blood Boil for extra Threat off the healers).

From then on out, DPS normally, but make sure you keep using the IT > PS > Pest combo.
If you're feeling ballsy, Pestilence one of the off-targets so your main target refreshes it's diseases so you can FU twice on it, but I guess that's one of the main DK tricks for DPS anyway, yeah?
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#7TheHunter56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2008 8:16:22 PM
I guess one thing I really need to worry about with DK tanking especially is making sure not to break CC with all of my AOE abilities huh?

I tried to tank UK for the first time last night and I had no problem holding aggro at level 69, the first few pulls went fine, 72 druid healer, then out of no where on one pull I just dropped and hard. I don't know if the healer wasn't paying attention or if I just got a mob group that crit a couple times. But it wasn't pretty either way. I also might have just been severely undergeared for what I was trying to tank...
#8_Team_Legend_Posted 11/22/2008 8:21:28 PM
WTB Edit Button!

I forgot to mention, I havn't played for a few weeks now, so I don't know exactly how tanking is beyond 70 or with DK's, those were just general tips.
---
Zenu, Level 70, Sisters of Elune, Proud Druid, Night Elf
<Deuce Down>
#9cyborg99sreturnPosted 11/22/2008 8:26:21 PM

I guess one thing I really need to worry about with DK tanking especially is making sure not to break CC with all of my AOE abilities huh?

I tried to tank UK for the first time last night and I had no problem holding aggro at level 69, the first few pulls went fine, 72 druid healer, then out of no where on one pull I just dropped and hard. I don't know if the healer wasn't paying attention or if I just got a mob group that crit a couple times. But it wasn't pretty either way. I also might have just been severely undergeared for what I was trying to tank...

If CC isn't gotten off before the tank gets to the mobs(or vice versa), then the CCers fail.
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#10TheHunter56(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2008 8:28:54 PM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Deathwing&n=Aseraphim

It may not be a PERFECT tanking spec, but I have picked up several tanking talents: Toughness, Anticipation, Frigid Dreadplate. While still taking a lot of DPS talents so I don't gimp myself leveling.