This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Heal rotation for a disc priest?

#1__WooBarb__Posted 4/10/2009 12:46:58 AM
Just respecced and a little overwhelmed with all the new buffs. I want some quick training before I wipe an instance. Thank you.
---
Vista * AMD Phenom II x3 @ 3.5GHz * Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P * Geforce 8800GTX * 4GB DDR3 * 320gb * Corsair 640w * Samsung SyncMaster 930BF x2 * Antec P180EU
#2Riku413Posted 4/10/2009 12:55:15 AM
penance and flash heal are your best friend, just let the tank run in with a mending on him, let it bounce, drop a power word sheild so you get the crit from weaken soul and 5 sec haste then penance so he gets the full 3 stacks and then flash heal to keep it at 3 stacks and then heal away when needed. any combination of that.
---
Blink-182 is back!! http://blink182.com/
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Galnon
#3blessedgoddessPosted 4/10/2009 1:40:05 AM
If your using a rotation as a healer then you fail but yeah this guy said the right things power word sheild and prayer of mending, drop renew on peeps and flash heals and your volly heal if things get sticky
---
Yar har shimmer me tee, being a pirate is all good to me.
Do what you want 'cause a pirate be free. You are a pirate!
#4FoximusMichaelPosted 4/10/2009 1:53:21 AM
Do NOT let your tank AoE pull with Renew or PoH on him. Throw up a PW:S to start and go from there.
---
XBL Gamertag: FoximusMichael.
#5FoximusMichaelPosted 4/10/2009 1:53:47 AM
^PoM not PoH.
---
XBL Gamertag: FoximusMichael.
#6MeteoaPosted 4/10/2009 2:22:08 AM
Has PoM been fixed yet? Everything I've read still says that it causes no threat on its heal.
---
You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind
Paradisoan Weeaboo.
#7shadow_of_dreamPosted 4/10/2009 2:39:51 AM
If your using a rotation as a healer then you fail but yeah this guy said the right things power word sheild and prayer of mending, drop renew on peeps and flash heals and your volly heal if things get sticky

You fail English. And second having a rotation does not fail.
---
ya im sure cloth repair bills are just so expensive, you should try playing a plate wearing class - holla5
#8__WooBarb__(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2009 2:43:21 AM
This is good advice, thanks a lot. I suck at healing but like the idea of a disc priest.
---
Vista * AMD Phenom II x3 @ 3.5GHz * Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P * Geforce 8800GTX * 4GB DDR3 * 320gb * Corsair 640w * Samsung SyncMaster 930BF x2 * Antec P180EU
#9rapturexxvPosted 4/10/2009 3:28:25 AM
Yeah don't prayer of mend the tank because it causes threat. Do a power shield on him(this is before a pull that is). Also don't power word shield a warrior or druid because they can't get rage. Not until next patch that is. And on paladins u want to limit the power word shields on them if they start to have mana problems. There also isn't a rotation for healers. It's just learning to use the right spells and heals at the right time to maximize efficiency.
#10JoeanasianguyPosted 4/10/2009 3:41:06 AM
There's some unclear advice in this topic, so I'll tie up some loose ends.

Power Word:Shield, Flash Heal and Penance are your two main spells - PW:S is important because Disc Priests are primarily designed to stop damage from happening, not healing lost health, and this makes them unique. Your PW:S blocks a LOT of damage, moreso than you might normally expect out of it, and it's important to have it on your tank before he pulls. There's some people saying don't have PoM on your tank before a pull, and that's smart but only if PW:S is also not up. The shield will mitigate enough damage that the tank can build sufficient threat and when PoM procs, it will have very little effect.

Penance is an amazing spell in that it is an CHANNELING heal with the first of the three heals being INSTANT. I capitalized these two because of 2 things - if you move at any point during the channel, you cut off a heal. Instant means that if your your tank is taking a beating, Penance will heal that target faster than your Flash Heal. Also very important is that Penance's individual heals can also crit, which combined with other crit-boosting talents makes the crit rating a very important stat for Disc Priests. Your critical heals will also generate another shield on your healed target in addition to any PW:S that's up, whose hp absorption is based on the amount you healed. The more you healed for, the better the shield so there's another boost to crit.

Learn to use your heals effectively. At higher gear levels you can expect your base flash heal to hit for around 4k, your penance to be around 9k, and your greater heal to be around 11-12k. If even one of those penance ticks crit it will be a faster and larger heal than GHeal, so take that into account. A trick healers use is to start casting a spell, and if it doesn't look like the tank needs a particular heal, they just move or jump. This allows you to save a lot of mana throughout the course of a fight and does not overheal. A large part of a Disc Priest's ability to regen mana is the returning of mana by either shield absorption or healing done. This does not count overhealing, so be smart with your heals so that you can maintain a high mana percentage throughout the fight.

Generally speaking, on a normal pull you'll want both PW:S and PoM on the tank so that you are personally ready for any quick heals that need to be made. If your tank is superiorly geared (does not count raids, every precaution should be taken in those situations) then you can choose to forego both options. Remember, Disc Priest healing is more pre-emptive healing than reactive healing so the shields and PoM's are staple. There is no healing rotation for any healing class, only using what they are strongest at during the right times. For disc priests that is using PW:S liberally and taking advantage of large heals in a short amount of time for a long period of time.

---
This topic is now about teaching men how to breastfeed children.