This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hunters having issues with pets attacking?

#1DemosKonradPosted 2/17/2011 2:11:03 PM
I'm BM with a bear if that makes a difference, but there's two issues I'm finding that happen quite frequently and I'm not sure why.

The first, and probably the most annoying, is every now and then when attacking a mob my pet decides to have a mind of its own and run 100 yards the other direction after killing its target, to kill a random critter.. and sometimes this ends up pulling unwanted groups of mobs my way. (This has never happened in a dungeon thankfully)

My other issue is similar regarding flagged PvP players, as sometimes when coming across an enemy player who doesn't attack me, my pet will attack that player after it kills the mob I was targeting. I have it on Defensive, not Aggressive.... just a weird glitch? I thought maybe it was something like a shaman totem causing the aggro, but it doesn't matter which class it is this happens with.
---
Be compassionate. Coexist.
#2OgurisamaPosted 2/17/2011 2:13:07 PM

he first, and probably the most annoying, is every now and then when attacking a mob my pet decides to have a mind of its own and run 100 yards the other direction after killing its target, to kill a random critter.. and sometimes this ends up pulling unwanted groups of mobs my way. (This has never happened in a dungeon thankfully)

This isnt just happening with hunter, but DK as well
I was doing a H with a DK in my guild last night, and his ghoul pulled a 2nd group several times
#3Shadowolf23Posted 2/17/2011 2:18:18 PM(edited)
The first, and probably the most annoying, is every now and then when attacking a mob my pet decides to have a mind of its own and run 100 yards the other direction after killing its target, to kill a random critter..

Bears have Demoralizing Roar, which pulls critters if they're in range. The critters run around for a bit before attacking whatever attacked them, so they would either run up to your bear and attack it, or your bear would run to it and kill it.

I'm not sure about the second problem. If the player attacks your pet, your pet will fight back. If it keeps happening when you're sure your pet hasn't been attacked, I'd submit a bug report.

Edit: If you send your pet to attack one target then tell it to attack another, it will go back to the first target once the second one is dead.
---
<Obvious Troll> is Obvious! - Gamefaqs Troll Raid 2010 ~Yaytroll
#4EmbraceOfDeathPosted 2/17/2011 2:17:29 PM
The first, and probably the most annoying, is every now and then when attacking a mob my pet decides to have a mind of its own and run 100 yards the other direction after killing its target, to kill a random critter.. and sometimes this ends up pulling unwanted groups of mobs my way. (This has never happened in a dungeon thankfully)

My other issue is similar regarding flagged PvP players, as sometimes when coming across an enemy player who doesn't attack me, my pet will attack that player after it kills the mob I was targeting. I have it on Defensive, not Aggressive.... just a weird glitch? I thought maybe it was something like a shaman totem causing the aggro, but it doesn't matter which class it is this happens with.

Both might be something to do with Thunderstomp. It'll go after any target it hits with that after the first is dead if it's on defensive. If that's not it, I don't know what is, as I haven't had that issue with anything else (and my pet is usually on passive.) The safest way to handle it is to keep it on passive and add /petattack to a macro with one of your main skills so it will only attack whatever you used the skill on last.
---
PSN/GT: BigDaffej
#5Vuts_UpPosted 2/17/2011 2:24:33 PM
In WOTLK, mage's mirror images where bugged like that for a short while. Many times when I'd summon them they'd run literally 100 yards to grab enemies. Thankfully when I was in groups people understood that it was a glitch (Since mirror images don't have a pet bar and they're stuck on defensive). I believe now they auto teleport back to the mage if they go 20 yards away or something.
---
"Buddy, I was frozen today, and Hell hath no fury like a Krasher thawed...the last thing you want to do is **** with me." - GenghisKrasher
#6kmanweissPosted 2/17/2011 2:27:56 PM
Thunderstomp and Demo Roar are the issues. If your bear's (or any other tenacity pet) thunderstomp hits an enemy player, the pet will consider himself in combat with that character also...so once your target is dead, he runs off to attack the other player.
Thunderstomp will kill most critters, however Demo Roar does no damage. When it hits a critter, the critter runs in fear trying to save itself...but stays in combat. When your target dies, your bear will run off and kill the critter (possibly running into aggro range with other mobs).

Putting him on passive would fix this issue as after he kills the target he's on, he returns to your side even if there are other targets to attack.

I find that I use my bear if I'm going to be taking on multiple mobs (Thunderstomp and Demo roar do a great job of holding aggro against multiple targets)...but if I'm attacking solo targets, I'll use my cat or wolf.

Basically, just be aware that the issue exhists and compensate accordingly.
#7DemosKonrad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2011 2:47:48 PM
Ahhh okay, that makes sense. I guess I never thought about those abilities, but you are right that is most likely the issue.. thanks for the info.
---
Be compassionate. Coexist.
#8userperson100Posted 2/17/2011 3:45:06 PM
Another thing you might want to look into doing is keybinding "Follow" to something in easy reach. I have my pet attack bound to G, but after coming back and finding all the bugs between auto-shot, ability queuing, and random pet freak-outs, I'm going to bind Follow to something (probably Z, because it's pointless anyway) in case my pet decides to run off and do something funky.
#9deathpapayaPosted 2/17/2011 4:00:02 PM
ye, I put my fox pet on defensive and when i was out of combat it would go attack random mobs miles away minding their own business, I just put him on perma passive after taht.
---
XBL: Genophia PSN: Emophia Steam ID: Emophia