This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why does my nVIDIA driver keep crashing? This game is becoming unplayable.

#1Perfect GokuPosted 3/16/2012 8:47:22 AM
A few things:

1) It started doing this almost immediately upon playing WoW again a few days ago. I've played many games before and since without changing anything and have never seen the display drivers "crash", so I seriously doubt my video card is randomly dying as some people have suggested in other topics I've seen.

2) I've fully downloaded everything, turned down my settings (although my 570 plays it at Ultra without dropping below 60 outside of, like, Stormwind), and updated my drivers. Still doing it. It doesn't really seem to do it in any places where there isn't Cata content; primarily in Hyjal and Vashj'ir.

3) The game basically freezes for a second or two, "closes", and reopens (without losing progress or logging me out or anything) over the span of 5 seconds or so. In Hyjal, this typically happened about 2-3 times an hour, except a few cases where it happened multiple times in a row. It's happening much more often in Vashj'ir.

4) Even more rarely, once every other hour in Hyjal, but 3 times in an hour in Vashj'ir, the game crashes. Once, I got a BSOD, which I haven't seen in quite awhile.

5) I changed my settings back to fullscreen and closed some programs running in the background to see if that helped, but it didn't. I also ran the repair utility while the game was updating but before I started playing, so maybe I'll run that AGAIN and see if it helps.

Any suggestions? This kinda sucks.
---
Important Time Saving Tip: I've been using this name on the internet for 8 years now. I don't watch DBZ and haven't for several years now.
#2GoW_In_NHPosted 3/16/2012 8:48:43 AM
Go find the error code and google it
---
People who have said nice things about me: 60
Last person to say something nice about me: Elaeus
#3Hyperbass13Posted 3/16/2012 9:06:17 AM
Try redownloading direct x, my friend had a problem with crashes, especially in heavy phased areas. If that doesn't work, try running it in open GL mode to see if that works, it did for him. But if you say it ran in ultra settings, it might be your card.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#4Perfect Goku(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2012 9:10:05 AM
Try redownloading direct x, my friend had a problem with crashes, especially in heavy phased areas. If that doesn't work, try running it in open GL mode to see if that works, it did for him. But if you say it ran in ultra settings, it might be your card.

Well that's the thing. I've been playing ME3 maxed, Crysis 2 maxed, LoL, and some SC2 maxed since I started playing WoW, and I haven't had a single problem with any of them.

I'll try the direct x and OpenGL thing, though.
---
Important Time Saving Tip: I've been using this name on the internet for 8 years now. I don't watch DBZ and haven't for several years now.
#5Brig123Posted 3/16/2012 9:25:26 AM
I had the same problem starting with 4.3, similar quality PC plays new games at high res/ultra/etc, yet getting driver crashes on wow and wow alone.

In any case, I ended up bumping down to DX9 in-game, and switching my display mode to Windowed(fullscreen) and I haven't had the problem crop up since. Yeah, it's a bit of a decrease graphics wise, but honestly...it's WoW. There might be a workaround to retain higher FX options, I just didn't bother to check after I got it dialed in on my system.
#6NexusOfAllPosted 3/16/2012 10:25:15 AM
Does it say something to the effect of "Nvidia driver kernel 1XX.XX has stopped working and Windows has recovered ....."? If so, I kept having a problem like that without even playing a game when I updated to something like 185 a couple months ago and just kept going no matter how many times I updated the driver. It only happened once every few hours so not such a big deal.

Finally, I deleted the Nvidia driver from program files and from anywhere else I could find it (I am referring to the separate folder that Nvidia uses to store driver versions away from any other part of the system in "C:\Nvidia". Restarted and stopped WIndows from doing its own thing (Windows 7 home premium does not easily let me stop it from installing its own drivers so I had to kill the process through the task manager) . Installed Nvidia 195.XX manually through the website and has not happened again. Maybe this will help or maybe my situation was just a unique incident.
#7Hyperbass13Posted 3/16/2012 10:39:07 AM
Try 64 bit mode, or vice versa
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9