This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any risk to buying an item through trade?

#1TyylerrPosted 8/23/2012 6:19:04 AM
Someone on my server is saying they are selling a Swift Spectral Tiger for 160k. I have enough to buy but I am concerned that it may be taken away for some reason. Am I safe to buy it?
---
Tyleeer
#2UnboundAbyssPosted 8/23/2012 6:29:39 AM
it could be duped. make him put it on the AH. if he refuses, dont buy it.
---
Why should you care if someone has what you have if looks cool to you? oh right you wanna be a special snowflake. :l - shawn10000000
#3Tyylerr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2012 6:42:19 AM
Turns out the guy wants me to buy a linen cloth on the AH for 160k then he will trade me the Tiger after
---
Tyleeer
#4MitzeIpikPosted 8/23/2012 6:46:41 AM
Yeah, stay away from that guy heh

That's one of the tcg loot cards I take it. Tell him he can sell the darn thing on amazon
---
It's a hobby. If the thing you go hardest at in life is video games, you don't get to call yourself hardcore. You're soft, and should be treated as such.
#5Tyylerr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2012 6:51:41 AM
He does have the mount. It was listed on the auction house. Just the way he was trying to sell it is too risky for 160k.
---
Tyleeer
#6TheJackoNerdPosted 8/23/2012 6:56:18 AM(edited)
Seems legit.

Why doesn't he just list it for 160k?
#7UnboundAbyssPosted 8/23/2012 7:02:26 AM
that seems really fishy. why does he wants you to buy linen cloth for that much, then give you the mount, instead of just selling the mount?
---
Why should you care if someone has what you have if looks cool to you? oh right you wanna be a special snowflake. :l - shawn10000000
#8Tyylerr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2012 7:03:43 AM
TheJackoNerd posted...
Seems legit.

Why doesn't he just list it for 160k?

No idea. This is the one Mount I've always wanted. When he said 160k I knew it was too good to be true
---
Tyleeer
#9menalaos1971Posted 8/23/2012 7:10:25 AM
Tyyler,

First, the Trade window has some safety features built into. You both put into the window what you are trading. You would out 160,000g on your side, he would put the Swift Spectral Tiger. You both then click trade. If either of you click trade and then the other one tries to change to contents of their offer before they click, the first person's click is automatically turned back off. This is to stop people cheating you.

Second, there has been a complicated in-game glitch that allows people to duplicate items in their inventory. The Swift Spectral Tiger is usally worth significantly more that the price this guy is asking, so odds are he got one and duped it. Blizzard is working on a fix and will eventually BAN the people that are doing it, and possibly remove the duped items from the game... including your mount. You may not get back the gold.
---
The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
#10lunchbox2042Posted 8/23/2012 7:32:20 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
---
GT: Mr Fn Lunchbox