The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possbile to have a serious MMO genre discussion w/o all the troll accusers

#1DboyC83Posted 10/3/2012 8:57:29 AM
I originally got into MMOs through a game called Anarchy Online.

Not only was it F2P, it was F2D (free to download). It was so good in fact that I even paid to get the x-pacs because of my addiction level.

I expanded my awareness of other products in the MMO genre.

I feel like the MMO genre has become extremely stagnant.

Now a days the communities in these games are repulsive. There's is no companionship, the class selections are garbage and don't interact with each other well.

Market and Profession systems lack innovation. GW2 does expand upon the fighting sequences of most MMOs, but is an MMO RPG or Action based?

Now that our MMO genre is getting into its pre-pubescent teenage phase, it is starting to shed it's baby fat and we are finding an ugly-pimply greasy teenager that doesn't have all the charm and appeal of it's baby counterpart. Not only that, but we are having an identity crisis. What are you MMO genre? Where do you stand? With your lack of definition I'm starting to feel like COD is an MMO. (because it is)

Where's my creative classes like those of Anarchy Online? Where's my end game content like WoW? Where's my epic world mob raiding like EQ2 (where's my guild hall!?)? What happened to twinking? What happened to the "hardcore" community?
---
FACT: this is not an opinion.
#2EvangeliPosted 10/3/2012 8:59:39 AM
Nope.
---
Gamertag: Evangeli__<^>__Alt: All_Under_Heaven
#3vahndragonwingPosted 10/3/2012 9:00:04 AM
How is CoD Massive? That's the first M, dontchaknow.
---
"Is Metroid's gun part of his suit or is it part of his arm, like the guy from Final Fantasy 8?"
#4DeviousLightPosted 10/3/2012 9:01:41 AM
No. K bye
---
Gamefaqs. Where Frequently Asked Questions are forbidden.
#5DboyC83(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 9:05:12 AM
vahndragonwing posted...

The amount of players you could potentially match with, right?
---
#6vahndragonwingPosted 10/3/2012 9:09:55 AM
DboyC83 posted...
vahndragonwing posted...

The amount of players you could potentially match with, right?

No, the amount of persistent players. If there were hundreds of people on the map at once, I'd agree with you.
---
"Is Metroid's gun part of his suit or is it part of his arm, like the guy from Final Fantasy 8?"
#7AranSpellweaverPosted 10/3/2012 9:14:28 AM
DboyC83 posted...

Not only was it F2P, it was F2D (free to download). It was so good in fact that I even paid to get the x-pacs because of my addiction level.

Now a days the communities in these games are repulsive. There's is no companionship, the class selections are garbage and don't interact with each other well.

Market and Profession systems lack innovation. GW2 does expand upon the fighting sequences of most MMOs, but is an MMO RPG or Action based?

Now that our MMO genre is getting into its pre-pubescent teenage phase, it is starting to shed it's baby fat and we are finding an ugly-pimply greasy teenager that doesn't have all the charm and appeal of it's baby counterpart. Not only that, but we are having an identity crisis. What are you MMO genre? Where do you stand? With your lack of definition I'm starting to feel like COD is an MMO. (because it is)

Where's my creative classes like those of Anarchy Online? Where's my end game content like WoW? Where's my epic world mob raiding like EQ2 (where's my guild hall!?)? What happened to twinking? What happened to the "hardcore" community?

The problem is that WoW made MMORPGs "mainstream", and dumbed them down by an extreme amount (which is why it is succesful).

If you want a good genre, RTS games have pretty good communities.
#8DboyC83(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 9:20:34 AM
AranSpellweaver posted...
DboyC83 posted...

The problem is that WoW made MMORPGs "mainstream", and dumbed them down by an extreme amount (which is why it is succesful).

If you want a good genre, RTS games have pretty good communities.

You might be right about the RTS games, but I loved my EQ2 community, endlessly questing with guildies and having the guild hall to go back to. Ahh... the little things.
---
#9Egxamer1Posted 10/3/2012 9:24:10 AM
Seriously for a sec TC,

MMO means massive multilayer online. So any game that has that system in place is an MMO by default.

Now if you are talking about "medieval fantasy " themed MMOs such as Anarchy, EQ, WoW, GW, D&D, Star wars, etc etc well then I'm not sure where the problem is. All the things you mentioned don't hold water against the multitude of reviews from old and new users alike expressing pleasure with the progression of the genre as well as its Flagships P2P WoW and its F2P GW2. These two games are the current industry standard and they are remarkably done well.

/seriously take the nostalgia goggles off
---
Don't even try. You got roasted, just take it like a man. -Lightning Bolt
#10BombermanGoldPosted 10/3/2012 9:28:09 AM
No, the amount of persistent players. If there were hundreds of people on the map at once, I'd agree with you.

Reminds me of that PS3 game M.A.G.

My god that was just a mess....
---
"I will be your superhero!!!"
Xbox GT & PSN ID: BombermanGOLD