This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel bad for people who level professions while leveling.

#1AranSpellweaverPosted 10/3/2012 8:43:38 PM
If you level crafting professions while leveling, it takes a lot of time to get them to the level to which they provide very useful gear/items for you. However, the time it takes to get them there would've been far better spent just questing for XP, so the benefit gained from having better items is moot.

As for gathering professions, they aren't terrible to take while leveling, but they force you to pause frequently to keep them current to your level, as you'll enter zones with nodes/beasts you cannot harvest.

You can make a few thousand gold this way, but I've found that 1-90 questing gives enough gold to provide for all your needs, regardless, as you don't need to buy anything at all now, aside from possibly some food, water, mounts, mount training, and repairing of your items, all which you can easily get via simply questing and selling every white or green item you find that is wanted by players on the Auction House.

I really feel professions were horribly designed for leveling. Even back in classic WoW, there was no real point to leveling professions, aside from making gold or providing specific useful items (or later, profession perks), but nothing really helped you while leveling.

As I said before, the cost of leveling a crafitng profession easily outweighed the benefit of it, and gathering professions were also clunky, and not needed for gold generation, aside from possibly getting a mount and spell training.

The really sad part about the game design is that there are a lot of items made for each level tier, that are pretty useful, but the cost of producing them at that level is much too high to be worth it.

The solution? Personally I think they should just revamp the profession system altogether. Make it so that while leveling, your professions remain the same level you are. That is to say, remove the grinding or professions, and make recipes auto-learned.

This means that you can actually take up professions and benefit from them, without spending a lot of time and gold to make them useful (which is only useful at max level).

It makes a lot more sense that people craft items just to craft useful items, rather then make a bunch of useless items just to level up their profession skill.

Plus, it would make the game a lot more fun.

What about secondary skills? They are all useless, aside from niche activities. Fishing is completely useless from a leveling perspective, aside from the dailies, cooking is the same way, the buff the foods offer isn't worth to level cooking while leveling, as leveling content is so trivial now, you don't need to be enhanced (and heirlooms are better for this anyway, anything else is overkill), first aid's benefits are so minor, that you are better off just selling the cloth on the AH for a profit, and archaeology, while interesting, is only really worth doing at max level with a really fast mount, because otherwise it is just extremely tedious, still, the only reason to do it is for lore or achievements.

Even at max level, fishing doesn't offer anything valuable, aside from achievements and contests. Any gold you could make fishing would be made faster elsewhere. Cooking? Aside from raid buff foods, there's nothing for the average person. First aid? It is a joke, not even worth taking. Archaeology? Again, it doesn't offer anything useful, aside from the lore and achievements.

Why are professions in this game so lame? Especially for leveling? It seems like a horribly designed system, and is indeed just a huge timesink for a very minor benefit (like +80 stats or whatever).

What do you think?
#2noimnoturdaddyPosted 10/3/2012 8:45:32 PM
Min-maxing stats used to be necessity to clear content and as a result hardcore players grinded the hell out of their professions to give them an edge when applying to successful raiding guilds.

Now it's just for money really. Blizzard needs someone to supply BoE craftables and cut gems for the masses.
---
This is great! I will use Heroin on the weekends now!
#3SteamsterPosted 10/3/2012 9:09:29 PM
Meh.

It's a video game.

You don't have to optimize it to full efficiency just to use it as a fun way to kill time.
#4AranSpellweaver(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 9:22:48 PM
Steamster posted...
Meh.

It's a video game.

You don't have to optimize it to full efficiency just to use it as a fun way to kill time.

Yeah but professions aren't fun at all.

If they removed the grind, and made items able to be crafted whenever you reached the right level, that would be fun.

If they added a mini-game, and allowed you craft numerous items at once, that would be fun.
#5Leo0820Posted 10/3/2012 9:32:53 PM
I know the system is totally not built for it, or probably even wanted, but I'd love a professional system where your craftables follow a template but you get to customize them a little. One where you could design your own armor or weapons. It'd be from a selection of available choices, but make the combinations manyfold so people can express their creativity a bit and the people who craft really cool or beautiful armor and weapons reap a solid benefit in terms of business and sales.

It wouldn't apply well, sadly, to a lot of chest armors (which are often flat and covered up by tabards anyway), legs or belts (though they are experimenting a bit with the legs and belts) and certainly not to bracers I don't think, but gloves, boots, shoulders and helmets, as well as weapons and shields could be made to look unique and special.

And, of course, it'd be all Transmogrifiable.

Yes, you'd have Johnny Kidgloves with his GRIMDARK BLACK AND BLOOD RED ARMOR COVERED IN SPIKES GRRRRR but hey, maybe you want that? But given the level of creativity many players have, I bet we'd be pleasantly surprised with what players can make up in terms of really nice, thematic armor sets. It'd make Transmog even more fun than it is now!

I'd make armors covered in pockets and pouches. And short pants, kilts and skirts.
---
Leo's AMP has increased by 1.
#6AuspexAOPosted 10/3/2012 11:27:07 PM
"As for gathering professions, they aren't terrible to take while leveling, but they force you to pause frequently to keep them current to your level, as you'll enter zones with nodes/beasts you cannot harvest."

Maybe mining, but skinning and herbalism will never fall behind your leveling. They advance super-quick.
---
"So build that wall and build it strong, 'cause we'll be there before too long"
#7EpicKingdom_Posted 10/3/2012 11:30:43 PM(edited)
hmm.. someone actually said "you level it while leveling?" or some blabbling like that on Illidian.. -_- I know who you are TC. FoTM.

---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 BE | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | Biostar Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini-T | XFX PRO650W CE | 500GB |
#8XtraTPosted 10/3/2012 11:32:52 PM
I leveled from 1 to 85 in 2 days 14 hours /played with maxed out professions.

I feel bad for you for missing on 40g a stack of trading mats.
---
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.
#9PanzerscrapPosted 10/4/2012 12:37:59 AM
I mostly agree with TC.

Taking time to grind out professions while leveling in pre-WoW MMO's or even Vanilla could often reward you with gear that would make leveling easier. Problem is, you have two options in WoW today:

1. Stop questing, grind out the mats to learn a trade to a point where the gear is useful.
2. Keep knocking out quests, and earn quest reward gear that is better anyway in an incredibly short time.

Whats the point of those hundreds of low level recipes?
#10jing0000Posted 10/4/2012 12:45:55 AM
Panzerscrap posted...
I mostly agree with TC.

Taking time to grind out professions while leveling in pre-WoW MMO's or even Vanilla could often reward you with gear that would make leveling easier. Problem is, you have two options in WoW today:

1. Stop questing, grind out the mats to learn a trade to a point where the gear is useful.
2. Keep knocking out quests, and earn quest reward gear that is better anyway in an incredibly short time.

Whats the point of those hundreds of low level recipes?

there's a few items that can still prove useful but not enough to make it worth while to the avg player...that said. I still level my professions with my characters for one reason. it slows down the leveling speed which is waaay to high for my enjoyment. and at the end of the day, when I finally hit the level cap. my profession is there with me.

though the TC points are mostly correct, if they want to make low level professions more attractive they need to make the rewards for the low level professions higher as well.
---
none