This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

its a bit sad this is still so popluar

#81NWalterstorfPosted 10/7/2012 4:13:31 AM
The worst thing about this topic is that it turns into a grade-school level philosophy discussion.
---
Morrowind. Daggerfall. Planescape: Torment.
Everything I say about Skyrim is now completely true and you should listen to me.
#82noimnoturdaddyPosted 10/7/2012 7:00:40 AM
Just500x posted...
I'm an active and successful musician/DJ/Music Producer

Do you play an instrument or is your main focus DJing? Because that isn't being a musician.

NWalterstorf posted...
The worst thing about this topic is that it turns into a grade-school level philosophy discussion.

The only thing that makes high level philosophy "intelligent" is thick beards and long words that mean the same thing as a few smaller ones.
---
This is great! I will use Heroin on the weekends now!
#838bitgenPosted 10/7/2012 8:13:59 AM
NWalterstorf posted...

then you are on the wrong website buddy.
#84Bard of DorArPosted 10/7/2012 8:49:03 AM(edited)
noim, from his answer I'd guess he sings, plays a few, etc, etc, and enjoys DJing as well.

That said, a DJ is a musician. A musician being someone who performs via music. Now you can get into semantic arguements, and you can go with a million degrees of how "Original" someone is or how much of their work is entirely self created, but that's a whole new arguement.

It definately takes effort, talent and a good musical ear to set mash-ups and make songs that have literally nothing to do with each other flow seemlessly.

If a DJ isn't a musician because they essentially remix and mash-up existing work, then no one who doesn't write their own work is a musician. So a good portion of bands out there, since usually one or two people are the creative force behind them. Many solo acts since others write songs for them. Heck, the arguement could be made that someone like Elton John isn't a musician since someone else provides all of his lyrics (Barring a few exceptions).

Now, back to the arguement about wow being the same game. So what? It isn't exactly the same game, the mechanics of classes have altered, things have smoothed out or changes, new things are added. But aside from that, I play it because it's the same game. It's like with a good book series, say Wheel of Time. Say you read the first three (Which all function as one large book more so than the rest do IMO). At the end the story has "wrapped up" in the sense that you have closure and could move on. But many people want to know what happens next, we want to know what the characters do after. So we buy the next book. I'm in a similar boat with WoW. I want to know what happens in the world next, what my character does next. And so, because I like the world and my characters, I buy the next expansion to keep the story going.

Same reason I bought Final Fantasy IV the After Years for Wii-Ware. Or why I bought Kingdom Hearts 2, Or keep buying the new Assasin's Creed games as they come out.
---
The only True Sovereign is Reason.
#85Dragonfist17Posted 10/7/2012 9:24:07 AM
I honestly don't get how people play this game for so long. I must admit I have a bit of hatred for this game now, ever since one of my friends apparently dedicated his life to WoW, all he does is eat, sleep, work, WoW. He hangs out with us maybe twice a year now, other than that -- no social life whatsoever.

I've played this game for 4 years, and it was fun, but at the same time it does get very repetitive. By the time I got to the end of Cata and started doing doing daily quests and dungeons again, I decided it was time to pack it up, wasn't fun anymore, and I haven't come back because honestly Mists of Pandaria, seriously Blizzard? This is by far the lamest crap you've come up with, I think Disney could do better... oh wait.
#86Bard of DorArPosted 10/7/2012 9:49:05 AM(edited)
Dragon, your post came off as naive but honest right up until the Panda complaint.

As an aside, does your friend have a family?

I ask because I got a similar accusation aimed my way once. Until I pointed out that "I work 40+ hours, take care of my home and pets, raise my son and spend time with my wife, I have NO free time in my life at present and so play WoW at nights as some form of relaxation."

This pattern lasted until my son was about two and I started to have a touch more leeway in my time.

If none of this applies then it's what Vaughan said. If it does, cut your friend some slack, sometimes we get more on our plate than we have time for in the day.
---
The only True Sovereign is Reason.
#87wonderboyjohnnyPosted 10/7/2012 9:40:06 AM
Dragonfist17 posted...
I haven't come back because honestly Mists of Pandaria, seriously Blizzard? This is by far the lamest crap you've come up with, I think Disney could do better... oh wait.

DreamWorks?
---
GT: wonderboyjohn
#88vahndragonwingPosted 10/7/2012 9:42:40 AM
Dragonfist17 posted...
I must admit I have a bit of hatred for this game now, ever since one of my friends apparently dedicated his life to WoW, all he does is eat, sleep, work, WoW. He hangs out with us maybe twice a year now, other than that -- no social life whatsoever.

I heard that Hitler drove a Volkswagen, so now I hate Volkswagen. Because it's most definitely VW's fault. Just like it's Blizzard's fault that your friend doesn't have his priorities straight.

(Doesn't make sense to hate the game when the player is who you're mad at. Just because someone plays the game doesn't mean they forgo all other activities, that's HIS issue.)
---
"Is Metroid's gun part of his suit or is it part of his arm, like the guy from Final Fantasy 8?"
#89Dragonfist17Posted 10/7/2012 10:13:09 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
Dragonfist17 posted...
I must admit I have a bit of hatred for this game now, ever since one of my friends apparently dedicated his life to WoW, all he does is eat, sleep, work, WoW. He hangs out with us maybe twice a year now, other than that -- no social life whatsoever.

I heard that Hitler drove a Volkswagen, so now I hate Volkswagen. Because it's most definitely VW's fault. Just like it's Blizzard's fault that your friend doesn't have his priorities straight.

(Doesn't make sense to hate the game when the player is who you're mad at. Just because someone plays the game doesn't mean they forgo all other activities, that's HIS issue.)

I dislike the game because it supports stagnation, but at the same time I don't hate my friend because he chooses to play the game, it's his choice to make, not mine. I just think it's the wrong choice.

Yes, Dreamworks, I get those mixed up sometimes. Either way, my opinion is that this expansion looks extremely lame, unless I'm lying about my opinion, I don't see how I'm being dishonest.

Also, I find you're Volkswagen analogy comical, did you know that Volkswagen was founded by the Nazi trade union, and that they used slave labor to manufacture military vehicles in WW2?

I just don't have the desire to continue playing a game when it's more or less the same old song and dance, especially when there's actually other good games out there to play.