This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AH undercuts make me laugh and cry

#1GodSpark127Posted 10/8/2012 9:23:05 PM
For example, I laughed at the idiot(s) selling Ghost-Forged breastplates at 20g because one idiot undercut his own 90g auction to 25g. Then I cry because I have 2 Ghost-Forge breastplates that I need to sell and not take a 70g or more loss on.

I can understand massive undercuts on things like ore, cloth, and gems. But undercutting to stupidly low prices far below the cost of the materials on craft-only gear? That's just shooting yourself in the foot.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#2Wookie_Is_BackPosted 10/8/2012 9:24:54 PM
You mean the gear that only takes 10-12 Ghost Iron bars, which in turn only take 20-24 Ghost Iron Ore, which in turn only takes 4-5 nodes and 20 min to gather?

Yea bro make that profit.
#3GodSpark127(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 9:27:06 PM
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
You mean the gear that only takes 10-12 Ghost Iron bars, which in turn only take 20-24 Ghost Iron Ore, which in turn only takes 4-5 nodes and 20 min to gather?

The ore consistently sells for 75g to 100g per stack on my sever. So it is a sizeable loss regardless of how long it takes. Bro.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#4DawnshadowPosted 10/8/2012 11:06:55 PM
Buy the 20g armor at less than material cost, resell, profit. :)
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#5TMS_Posted 10/9/2012 12:19:08 AM
Or sell mats rather than crafts.
---
Liberate tutemet, ex inferis.
#6ElaeusPosted 10/9/2012 12:21:35 AM
TMS_ posted...
Or sell mats rather than crafts.

That would make too much sense.

Seriously, on some servers it's just best to go that route. I hear stories how jewelcrafters of other servers buy uncut and cut and resell. On my server sadly that is not always possible as half of the times the uncut gem is more expensive on the AH.
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#7Hoops01Posted 10/9/2012 3:02:17 AM
Wookie_Is_Back posted...

This kind of guy thinks that things you farm are "Free".

This is also the kind of poor guy who always complains that he has no gold

This is also the kind of guy who refutes what I am saying by argueing that he has over 10 million gold spread across his chars.
#8DawnshadowPosted 10/9/2012 1:46:41 PM(edited)
Hoops01 posted...
This kind of guy thinks that things you farm are "Free".

Quick economics lesson, for those who don't get this.

Let's say you farm up a stack of Ghost Iron while you're doing your dailies. You didn't pay any gold for this, so you might think of it as "free."

It's not.

When you make it into something-- bracers, prospect it for gems, throw it in the guild bank-- you lose the opportunity to sell that ore on the auction house. This is called opportunity cost. The cost of making bracers is the opportunity to sell that stack of ore for 150g. If you can make four bracers that each sell for 50g, you've profited. If the bracers are only 25g, you're actually out 50g (even though your gold balance just went up by 100g.)

This is, in fact, why a lot of AH players don't farm materials. If you make more gold in an hour of prospecting and cutting gems, or smelting ore and turning it into armor, or buying underpriced items to repost at a higher price, or whatever you do than the auction house value of all the ore you can gather in an hour of mining, you will make more gold per hour invested by buying the ore instead of farming it, even though you don't have to spend gold on the mining part.
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#9Moses_IncPosted 10/9/2012 1:52:46 PM
Looks like someone is taking economics this semester. :)
---
I've seen michael moses a bunch lately. He's a newblet that shows definite promise.~Kirbix
http://puu.sh/2G6G
#10ezekiel702Posted 10/9/2012 2:06:50 PM
People like me who bot don't really care what we sell for as it took pretty much no effort. I just undercut a ton so I don't have to bother posting the same thing on the AH 15 times. Afk farming all profit for me. Feel bad for you manually farming lol.