This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have a 90 Mistweaver/Windwalker Monk. Ask me anything

#1MarndosPosted 10/9/2012 6:22:03 AM
I've actually been getting a lot of questions in-game about monk healing, everything from simple stuff like asking me what my statue does to complex questions about balancing meleeweaving and ranged healing. I've never seen random players so curious about something O_o

Anyway I figure I can open the floor on this forum for any questions you might have about monks. Sorry but I'm not a Brewmaster expert. Also feel free to troll my topic and ask me questions that have nothing to do with monks or even WoW :P
---
Please change your vector and move to a different coordinate because this quadrant is off limits.
#2Toi1etDuckPosted 10/9/2012 6:33:28 AM
I get the same thing, but not too often.

Mistweaver/Windwalker 90 Monk here too.
---
WoW: 90 Monk | 85 Priest | 85 Warlock | 85 Deathknight | 85 Warrior | 85 Paladin | 85 Druid | 82 Shaman | 80 Mage | 80 Rogue
#3HellsControllerPosted 10/9/2012 6:33:56 AM
Very well then.
How much gold do I have?
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#4gazimonPosted 10/9/2012 6:41:19 AM
HellsController posted...
Very well then.
How much gold do I have?

/topic
---
-Can you take off the top screen of the DS without actually breaking the DS and destroying the warranty? - Pacman_89
#5redundanciesPosted 10/9/2012 6:52:14 AM
How do you like windwalker DPS? From what I could tell, it looks like it plays like a rogue or feral druid with a twist. Is that the case?
#6Marndos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 7:26:23 AM(edited)
redundancies posted...
How do you like windwalker DPS? From what I could tell, it looks like it plays like a rogue or feral druid with a twist. Is that the case?

I haven't played a feral druid, but there are certainly some similarities to rogues. It's kind of nice that, unlike a rogues' combo points, chi doesn't disappear after your target dies :P

I actually think Windwalker is fairly bland compared to the other two specs (Although I'm not a Brewmaster expert I have tried out the spec and ran a couple dozen BC/Northrend dungeons as one). I perform effectively enough on the DPS charts, but it's just not nearly as interesting as Mistweaver. It has a really simple rotation that involves basic chi building and spending, and keeping a couple buffs/debuffs up.

---
Please change your vector and move to a different coordinate because this quadrant is off limits.
#7PixieyPosted 10/9/2012 8:03:17 AM
I just came back.I have not played since the launch of BC. How is the healing?
#8Marndos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:12:20 AM(edited)
Pixiey posted...
I just came back.I have not played since the launch of BC. How is the healing?

Very effective and very different. A lot of Mistweavers aren't even entirely sure how to play the spec properly yet, but most of us have found the basics of what works best.

Basically a Mistweaver should stay in melee at all times unless the fight mechanics have some sort of dangerous melee component the monk should avoid, since the passive healing provided by your Blackout Kick buff and autoattacks is valuable for your mana management. In fact if the fight doesn't have heavy damage output (usually like trash in 5-mans) the monk can heal entirely by performing melee attacks.

Learning to balance your melee healing ("meleeweaving") and your ranged healing spells is important at endgame. It's really easy for a bad monk to never enter melee and burn all their mana (especially on that awful Surging Mist) trying to keep people alive, when they could be getting valuable passive healing effects from their melee attacks and using much more efficient spells like Enveloping Mist more often using the chi generated by Jab and Expel Harm.

Overall it's a fairly unique experience that should be very new to you if you haven't played since BC.
---
#9Nightbird_XPosted 10/9/2012 8:13:57 AM
LOL

Melee healing is the equivalent of Smite Healing for Priests: yeah it's neat and all, but you shouldn't do it in serious content. If you're meleeing a raid boss as a Mistweaver, just do us a favor and leave the group.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#10Marndos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:15:51 AM
Nightbird_X posted...
Melee healing is the equivalent of Smite Healing for Priests: yeah it's neat and all, but you shouldn't do it in serious content. If you're meleeing a raid boss as a Mistweaver, just do us a favor and leave the group.

Please stop offering bad advice.

There's a difference between depending on melee healing exclusively and being in melee simply for the passive autoattack healing and chi generation provided by Jab/Expel Harm (which are your best sources of chi generation).
---