This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#11akaPlumcrazyPosted 11/10/2012 4:03:34 PM
S... happens.
---
It is better to be judged by 12 then be carried by 6 ....
#12Krozard(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:05:22 PM
What's this about the RAF mount not working?
---
this space intentionally left blank
#13scarecrowsPosted 11/10/2012 4:06:10 PM
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
Krozard posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

A guy is suing Blizzard because they charge for authenticaors, which he says "Authenticator is required in order to maintain a minimal level of security on the playerís Battle.net account information thatís stored on Blizzardís network systems.",

He is accusing them of making 26 million in profits from them. He's also saying Blizzard didn't perform their legal obligation to inform players about the Diablo 3 hacking that happened in May. And finally, he's suing Blizzard to not require a Battle.net account.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts? Two things:

One: If you own a Smart Phone you can get an authenticator for free, thus invalidating his first argument.

Second: Blizzard has no legal obligation to inform the players about the D3 hacking scandal because there WAS no D3 Hacking Scandal.

Having to buy a 500 dollar phone does not invalidate anything. It would if smart phones were free and everyone was required to have one by law.

If anyone should be suing it should be the people who paid for server transfers only to have them invalidated by crz. Also the people who paid to raf themselves, were promised a mount that could carry their friends only to have it no longer work with no fix planned for anytime soon.

http://bluestacks.com/

You were saying?

Wtf is that supposed to do? Having the app on a compromised pc makes the app useless. Are you telling me I should buy another computer to have the app on?
---
Tanks. Insta Q's = Insta QQ's
#14vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 4:09:25 PM(edited)
scarecrows posted...

Wtf is that supposed to do? Having the app on a compromised pc makes the app useless. Are you telling me I should buy another computer to have the app on?

No, I'm saying you should take care of your s*** because that's not blizzards job, and if your account info is compromised, fix it.

The authenticator is a secondary form of security for those mouthbreathers who can't keep their info secure. Apparently the same mouthbreathers who sue for it.

Also, they typically get your info using a keylogger, so.. yeah. Having it on a compromised PC won't really do much difference unless they literally have visual of what you're doing and can put in the code in the 30 second window after or before you do.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#15Departed_DemonPosted 11/10/2012 4:11:41 PM
scarecrows posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
Krozard posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

A guy is suing Blizzard because they charge for authenticaors, which he says "Authenticator is required in order to maintain a minimal level of security on the playerís Battle.net account information thatís stored on Blizzardís network systems.",

He is accusing them of making 26 million in profits from them. He's also saying Blizzard didn't perform their legal obligation to inform players about the Diablo 3 hacking that happened in May. And finally, he's suing Blizzard to not require a Battle.net account.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts? Two things:

One: If you own a Smart Phone you can get an authenticator for free, thus invalidating his first argument.

Second: Blizzard has no legal obligation to inform the players about the D3 hacking scandal because there WAS no D3 Hacking Scandal.

Having to buy a 500 dollar phone does not invalidate anything. It would if smart phones were free and everyone was required to have one by law.

If anyone should be suing it should be the people who paid for server transfers only to have them invalidated by crz. Also the people who paid to raf themselves, were promised a mount that could carry their friends only to have it no longer work with no fix planned for anytime soon.

Buy an authenticator then, IIRC the price Blizzard charges for them is the production cost + shipping, so they don't actually profit from them, but dropping the cost would result in a loss.
#16MegeasPosted 11/10/2012 4:21:26 PM
"Authenticator is required in order to maintain a minimal level of security on the playerís Battle.net account information thatís stored on Blizzardís network systems.",

Minimal level of security is a password which is available for free. really the thing we need to argue is whether we NEED an authentication.
#17Uchiha_MicahPosted 11/10/2012 4:24:34 PM
If you can't afford a cell phone or authenticator, you probably can't afford to play WoW either.
---
"I wasn't carded. My facial hair was too powerful for the weak-willed GameStop employee" i lol'd
#18Lucius43Posted 11/10/2012 4:25:45 PM
i can't think of a single case where security is the company's obligation in video games. their motivation to provide security is to ensure a satisfactory product. there's no need to sue blizzard, just stop paying them a subscription.
#19scarecrowsPosted 11/10/2012 4:28:49 PM
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...

No, I'm saying you should take care of your s*** because that's not blizzards job, and if your account info is compromised, fix it.

The authenticator is a secondary form of security for those mouthbreathers who can't keep their info secure. Apparently the same mouthbreathers who sue for it.

Also, they typically get your info using a keylogger, so.. yeah. Having it on a compromised PC won't really do much difference unless they literally have visual of what you're doing and can put in the code in the 30 second window after or before you do.

That still doesn't explain why you posted that link. That link does nothing. Putting a virtual authenticator on an infected pc would be useless. I don't use them. I just don't buy gold, so I've never been hacked. Not really the point of this article. The point is if you don't have a smart phone you have to pay for an authenticator. Blizzard are the ones who can't protect their game, they should pay for the item AND the shipping. Yes it's a loss to them, they make enough money every month I'll somehow sleep tonight.
---
Tanks. Insta Q's = Insta QQ's
#20AmakusaPosted 11/10/2012 4:29:40 PM
Last Soldier posted...
Agree with the Diablo III Hacking cover ups

That wasn't covered up, that was very widely known.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.