This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#21vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 3:31:46 PM
scarecrows posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...

Wtf is that supposed to do? Having the app on a compromised pc makes the app useless. Are you telling me I should buy another computer to have the app on?

No, I'm saying you should take care of your s*** because that's not blizzards job, and if your account info is compromised, fix it.

The authenticator is a secondary form of security for those mouthbreathers who can't keep their info secure. Apparently the same mouthbreathers who sue for it.

Also, they typically get your info using a keylogger, so.. yeah. Having it on a compromised PC won't really do much difference unless they literally have visual of what you're doing and can put in the code in the 30 second window after or before you do.

That still doesn't explain why you posted that link. That link does nothing. Putting a virtual authenticator on an infected pc would be useless. I don't use them. I just don't buy gold, so I've never been hacked. Not really the point of this article. The point is if you don't have a smart phone you have to pay for an authenticator. Blizzard are the ones who can't protect their game, they should pay for the item AND the shipping. Yes it's a loss to them, they make enough money every month I'll somehow sleep tonight.

I still don't get how the PC being infected (like I said, 9/10 times with a simple keylogger) compromises an app that shows an image.

Also, you say you've never been hacked, then go on to say that Blizzard can't protect their game. Elaborate how that makes sense?
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#22PirwzwhomperPosted 11/10/2012 3:39:06 PM(edited)
Authenticators aren't required for basic account security. Basic account security is not using the same password everywhere, and updating passwords regularly. People who do not do this make themselves susceptible to compromise everywhere when one website account gets compromised. Simply put, use a different password for each account you make, and change your passwords every so often. Use longer passwords and not just a simple word-plus-a-number password.

Keyloggers can compromise people, sure. But more often anymore people's accounts are getting compromised because they use the same login for games as they do for websites related to the games such as guild forums and these secondary websites are notoriously insecure because they're set up by people with just enough knowledge to know how to get it up and running. These types of websites store passwords as simple strings instead of as hashes, giving full passwords to hackers. Hackers then try every login they get to see if any work for the related game and ransack every account they get into.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#23toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 3:37:53 PM
Uchiha_Micah posted...
If you can't afford a cell phone or authenticator, you probably can't afford to play WoW either.

It's not a matter of what you can afford but more a question of have you or are you paying enough already?
I see people everyday who make 6 figures hurry to the stores to save a few dollars on things.
Blizzard already charges enough.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#24vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 3:45:42 PM
toolittletime posted...
Uchiha_Micah posted...
If you can't afford a cell phone or authenticator, you probably can't afford to play WoW either.

It's not a matter of what you can afford but more a question of have you or are you paying enough already?
I see people everyday who make 6 figures hurry to the stores to save a few dollars on things.
Blizzard already charges enough.

If you don't want to pay the 6.50, learning how to secure your own computer and information is not only free, it also applies to other things besides wow including email, social networking, and even online banking!

Wow!
---
#25LORDDRAGON1995Posted 11/10/2012 3:45:46 PM
Funny Fact:
Blizz actually loses money on non-free authenticators. They cost more to make than what they sell'em for.
---
Scientia, Honor et Veritas
#26LinkofHyrule991Posted 11/10/2012 3:48:16 PM
Isn't the price of the physical authenticator roughly the same as the production and shipping cost, meaning Blizzard would make little to no profit from them?
---
It's over, you've lost the game. -Near
I don't remember Redd White changing his name to Bandit Keith. Not even in America.-Aceburner
#27PirwzwhomperPosted 11/10/2012 3:49:50 PM
LinkofHyrule991 posted...
Isn't the price of the physical authenticator roughly the same as the production and shipping cost, meaning Blizzard would make little to no profit from them?

This is true. They actually lost a little bit of money when they were first shipping them at, what, $4 each.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#28toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 3:49:59 PM
I have an authenticator the expense did not bother me at all.
Doesn't mean that Blizz shouldn't disclose how important they are for account security before people buy the game.
Quit acting like no one but you can afford the price.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#29toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 3:51:19 PM
I have seen companies give things away for free and eat the entire production and shipping cost, that is free $6.50 is not.
---
Mark Twain
#30vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 3:53:11 PM
toolittletime posted...
I have an authenticator the expense did not bother me at all.
Doesn't mean that Blizz shouldn't disclose how important they are for account security before people buy the game.
Quit acting like no one but you can afford the price.

They aren't. They're an additional form of security. They didn't even come out until almost wrath.

Quit acting like your account is gone before you login if you're sans authenticator.
---