This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#31thronedfire2Posted 11/10/2012 3:54:08 PM
Blizzard has to pay for the algorithm license forever, it isn't just $6.50 to make and ship them.
---
I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
#32toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 3:57:33 PM
I wasn't going to bring up the fact that my Bnet account was hacked after playing D3 the first week, it wasn't until months later after all the blame was layed on me that Blizz admitted they had been compromised around that time.
That was when I got my authenticator, my PC was secure and still is but at the time support said there was no way that it was something on their end.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#33vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 4:00:51 PM
toolittletime posted...
I wasn't going to bring up the fact that my Bnet account was hacked after playing D3 the first week, it wasn't until months later after all the blame was layed on me that Blizz admitted they had been compromised around that time.
That was when I got my authenticator, my PC was secure and still is but at the time support said there was no way that it was something on their end.

You mean where they got compromised but only lost:

What data was affected?
Here's a summary of the data that we know was illegally accessed:
North American-based accounts, including players from Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia

Email addresses
Answers to secret security questions
Cryptographically scrambled versions of passwords (not actual passwords)
Information associated with the Mobile Authenticator
Information associated with the Dial-in Authenticator
Information associated with Phone Lock, a security system associated with Taiwan accounts only

Accounts from all global regions outside of China (including Europe and Russia)

Email addresses

China-based accounts

Unaffected

At this time, there’s no evidence that financial information of any kind has been accessed. This includes credit cards, billing addresses, names, or other payment information.

( https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/important-security-update-faq )

In which they specifically point out that no passwords were taken?
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#34angrywalrus13Posted 11/10/2012 4:02:40 PM
Holy god.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#35PirwzwhomperPosted 11/10/2012 4:04:13 PM
toolittletime posted...

Blizzard stores passwords as hashes, not plain text. Hackers didn't get passwords from Blizzard. Hackers acquired large numbers of logins by compromising fansites and other third-party websites which aren't as secure with password storage and went through all of those logins to see which ones worked for Battle.net accounts. Those that did and which weren't secured by a physical authenticator were then sitting ducks when Diablo 3 was released. Why wait for Diablo 3 to come out? Because Blizzard had stated that gold sales would be available in the RMAH. Simple strategy was wait for players to acquire gold, and then steal it since they already had logins to get into the accounts. Why do you think there was a wave of "hacks" shortly before gold sales on the RMAH were enabled? They simply waited for players to build up as much gold as they could, and then stole it all and sold it.

Use different logins for each account, and change your passwords regularly.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#36toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 4:05:42 PM
I had enough of the "I was hacked" arguments back when it happened.
Anyone who isn't hacked likes to believe that it only happens to idiots who don't know how to protect their accounts.
Blizzard will get my $15 a month for the next 7 years as they have the last 7, it doesn't mean I worship at their feet.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#37Major GamerPosted 11/10/2012 4:06:13 PM

I can only assume you weren't going to bring it up because Blizzard announcing them getting hacked and the account compromises at the D3 launch were separate events.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#38PirwzwhomperPosted 11/10/2012 4:09:40 PM
angrywalrus13 posted...
Holy god.

It's old news, really.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#39Major GamerPosted 11/10/2012 4:11:28 PM(edited)
Holy god.

You should have seen the D3 board at launch. You couldn't take a step without running into a tin foil hat.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#40toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 4:16:15 PM
With the information that was gotten from Blizz they could have figured my pass out in 10 minutes, it was the same 6 digit I had used since I made the account.
Never reused any login and PW, anywhere I go I use a unique ID with a fresh email account, kind of sucks having 30 email accounts.
---
Mark Twain