This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#51toolittletimePosted 11/10/2012 4:55:15 PM
It's amazing how any of you really seem butt hurt at the idea of Blizzard having to lose money by supplying authenticators completely free.
Makes me so sad I almost want to start an organization to get donations for them.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#52Over_9000_Posted 11/10/2012 5:06:18 PM
toolittletime posted...
It's amazing how any of you really seem butt hurt at the idea of Blizzard having to lose money by supplying authenticators completely free.
Makes me so sad I almost want to start an organization to get donations for them.

They're a business...their goal is to make money...
It's one thing ti provide an extra useful tool/service at no gains, but it's entirely different to give it away at a loss.
#53Wyrmwarrior5Posted 11/10/2012 5:07:57 PM
toolittletime posted...
I had enough of the "I was hacked" arguments back when it happened.
Anyone who isn't hacked likes to believe that it only happens to idiots who don't know how to protect their accounts.
Blizzard will get my $15 a month for the next 7 years as they have the last 7, it doesn't mean I worship at their feet.

Out of the six years of on/off playing I've done with WoW, five of which were without an authenticator, I was hacked a grand total of once, and it was because I was an idiot and went to an obviously fake link.

Most, if not all, of hackings happen due to the person being an idiot.
---
http://breadfish.de/
http://thebest404pageever.com = best website ever.
#54Fou LuPosted 11/10/2012 5:16:44 PM
The whole thing about people being hacked even though they have authenticators is fake. It's people trying to cover up their own foolishness. I have an authenticator, and you know what you can do with it? You can set it up so it only asks for a code once a week. These people did that, they got keylogged and it was in the cycle of not wanting an authenticator code to log in. You can even set it up so it asks only once a month..

And the only reason I bought an authenticator was so I could use the real money auction house in Diablo 3. The people that get keylogged won't admit what websites they were browsing and claim it's someone elses fault.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#55BobTDonutPosted 11/10/2012 5:36:03 PM

I am amazed how you haven't provided a single legit reason why they should take a loss on an optional piece of equipment?
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/SpVUU.jpg
#56PirwzwhomperPosted 11/10/2012 5:37:36 PM
I wouldn't mind if they included the authenticator with the game, but then you have to ask about those who buy the game online, though who buy more than one game from them (since they all login with Battle.net, wouldn't people be getting more than just the one authenticator they need)?
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#57scarecrowsPosted 11/10/2012 6:03:49 PM
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...

Wtf is that supposed to do? Having the app on a compromised pc makes the app useless. Are you telling me I should buy another computer to have the app on?

No, I'm saying you should take care of your s*** because that's not blizzards job, and if your account info is compromised, fix it.

The authenticator is a secondary form of security for those mouthbreathers who can't keep their info secure. Apparently the same mouthbreathers who sue for it.

Also, they typically get your info using a keylogger, so.. yeah. Having it on a compromised PC won't really do much difference unless they literally have visual of what you're doing and can put in the code in the 30 second window after or before you do.

That still doesn't explain why you posted that link. That link does nothing. Putting a virtual authenticator on an infected pc would be useless. I don't use them. I just don't buy gold, so I've never been hacked. Not really the point of this article. The point is if you don't have a smart phone you have to pay for an authenticator. Blizzard are the ones who can't protect their game, they should pay for the item AND the shipping. Yes it's a loss to them, they make enough money every month I'll somehow sleep tonight.

I still don't get how the PC being infected (like I said, 9/10 times with a simple keylogger) compromises an app that shows an image.

Also, you say you've never been hacked, then go on to say that Blizzard can't protect their game. Elaborate how that makes sense?

Because Blizzard has more than me as a customer? Maybe those people are careless? You'd think a nose breather like you could figure it out. There is a reason Blizzard doesn't just have you download the app on your computer. There is a reason they are on your phone. Breathe deep and figure it out.
---
Tanks. Insta Q's = Insta QQ's
#58ryanell666Posted 11/10/2012 6:06:10 PM
Uchiha_Micah posted...
If you can't afford a cell phone or authenticator, you probably can't afford to play WoW either.

Taking it to the general sense of this, it's amazing how people complain about the costs of this game, but be totally ignorant of the costs of running a computer that hooked up to the internet in the first place.

The $6 (or whatever it costs these days) pales in comparison to the overall cost of being a PC gamer.
#59Devil_wings00Posted 11/10/2012 6:18:29 PM
I dunno they really should include them in the box at retail locations and if you buy digitally you get one shipped to you. The minimal cost of authenticators to a company making making roughly 100-150 million a month (currently 10 million subs) could probably be made up in the space of a week for the entire production of them EVER for the rest of WoW's life span. Spending a bit of money for customer security and good will goes a long way to making people view you in a positive light. Who am I kidding though this is activision were talking about. Were lucky they even bother to provide the service at all since they don't make anything (if you can believe them).

As for the guy suing he's a clown and has no basis for his claim. A password is minimal security...Heck my bank has the same level of security online so why is blizzard expected to do more then anyone else to protect are precious game data? They aren't. Everything else isn't even worth discussing. Just sounds like a idiotic raging moron with more extra time and money then your average idiotic raging moron. It will just be tossed out.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#60vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 6:21:57 PM
scarecrows posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...
vahndragonwing posted...
scarecrows posted...

Wtf is that supposed to do? Having the app on a compromised pc makes the app useless. Are you telling me I should buy another computer to have the app on?

No, I'm saying you should take care of your s*** because that's not blizzards job, and if your account info is compromised, fix it.

The authenticator is a secondary form of security for those mouthbreathers who can't keep their info secure. Apparently the same mouthbreathers who sue for it.

Also, they typically get your info using a keylogger, so.. yeah. Having it on a compromised PC won't really do much difference unless they literally have visual of what you're doing and can put in the code in the 30 second window after or before you do.

That still doesn't explain why you posted that link. That link does nothing. Putting a virtual authenticator on an infected pc would be useless. I don't use them. I just don't buy gold, so I've never been hacked. Not really the point of this article. The point is if you don't have a smart phone you have to pay for an authenticator. Blizzard are the ones who can't protect their game, they should pay for the item AND the shipping. Yes it's a loss to them, they make enough money every month I'll somehow sleep tonight.

I still don't get how the PC being infected (like I said, 9/10 times with a simple keylogger) compromises an app that shows an image.

Also, you say you've never been hacked, then go on to say that Blizzard can't protect their game. Elaborate how that makes sense?

Because Blizzard has more than me as a customer? Maybe those people are careless? You'd think a nose breather like you could figure it out. There is a reason Blizzard doesn't just have you download the app on your computer. There is a reason they are on your phone. Breathe deep and figure it out.

So you admit that the people being compromised are being compromised of their own doing, then, because otherwise the end customer would have absolutely no bearing on security if it were on Blizzards end.

Also, just as an aside, Blizzard fully endorses the BlueStacks route if you have no other option, this was confirmed by a blue a month or so after DIII came out.

Also still haven't explained how keyloggers are going to copy an image.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender