This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#61Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/10/2012 6:22:24 PM
They should send them free and if you cancel the account, send it back or you're billed like 10 bucks.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#62Crimson681Posted 11/10/2012 6:24:00 PM
Departed_Demon posted...
scarecrows posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
Krozard posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

A guy is suing Blizzard because they charge for authenticaors, which he says "Authenticator is required in order to maintain a minimal level of security on the playerís Battle.net account information thatís stored on Blizzardís network systems.",

He is accusing them of making 26 million in profits from them. He's also saying Blizzard didn't perform their legal obligation to inform players about the Diablo 3 hacking that happened in May. And finally, he's suing Blizzard to not require a Battle.net account.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts? Two things:

One: If you own a Smart Phone you can get an authenticator for free, thus invalidating his first argument.

Second: Blizzard has no legal obligation to inform the players about the D3 hacking scandal because there WAS no D3 Hacking Scandal.

Having to buy a 500 dollar phone does not invalidate anything. It would if smart phones were free and everyone was required to have one by law.

If anyone should be suing it should be the people who paid for server transfers only to have them invalidated by crz. Also the people who paid to raf themselves, were promised a mount that could carry their friends only to have it no longer work with no fix planned for anytime soon.

Buy an authenticator then, IIRC the price Blizzard charges for them is the production cost + shipping, so they don't actually profit from them, but dropping the cost would result in a loss.

I dunno if you are really that dumb, or if you're just trolling.
#63vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 6:24:16 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
They should send them free and if you cancel the account, send it back or you're billed like 10 bucks.

No dude they make like a bajillion dollars a day they should send like 5 with each game cause I want one and don't know how businesses work
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#64akaPlumcrazyPosted 11/10/2012 6:28:52 PM
I paid 6.00 US with free shipping .... best 6$ I have spent since I have a 50 character account with epic well known character names from vanilla days.

and

FYI at 1st bliz DID try to deny hacks on D3 I got a refund on D3 and have the lvl 10 only account now with like 3 mill in gold and 3 60's geared pretty good but was not going take a chance on getting hacked even with Auth. plus at the time 4/5's of D3 was broke or turned off too so that was a main reason for refund..
---
It is better to be judged by 12 then be carried by 6 ....
#65vahndragonwingPosted 11/10/2012 6:31:45 PM
akaPlumcrazy posted...
I paid 6.00 US with free shipping .... best 6$ I have spent since I have a 50 character account with epic well known character names from vanilla days.

and

FYI at 1st bliz DID try to deny hacks on D3 I got a refund on D3 and have the lvl 10 only account now with like 3 mill in gold and 3 60's geared pretty good but was not going take a chance on getting hacked even with Auth. plus at the time 4/5's of D3 was broke or turned off too so that was a main reason for refund..

They denied it until it happened >_>
---
3DS Friend Code: 3050-9023-0902 - Ender
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 3440-1140-5876 - Ender
#66HakPosted 11/10/2012 6:34:27 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
I dunno they really should include them in the box at retail locations and if you buy digitally you get one shipped to you. The minimal cost of authenticators to a company making making roughly 100-150 million a month (currently 10 million subs) could probably be made up in the space of a week for the entire production of them EVER for the rest of WoW's life span. Spending a bit of money for customer security and good will goes a long way to making people view you in a positive light. Who am I kidding though this is activision were talking about. Were lucky they even bother to provide the service at all since they don't make anything (if you can believe them).

As for the guy suing he's a clown and has no basis for his claim. A password is minimal security...Heck my bank has the same level of security online so why is blizzard expected to do more then anyone else to protect are precious game data? They aren't. Everything else isn't even worth discussing. Just sounds like a idiotic raging moron with more extra time and money then your average idiotic raging moron. It will just be tossed out.

After realising just how badly wrong the first part of your post was, I didn't see the need to read the rest. It's been widely known for a long time that the vast majority of WoW players pay less than a handful of dollars a month to play, not the 10-15 bucks you're basing your reasoning on.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#67Coop14Posted 11/10/2012 6:41:20 PM
I'm going to bite...

Most of those points are mute, however, he does have a case with Diablo 3. Buddies of mine, all got hacked. Computers were secure and had authenticators.

I don't care what anyone else says, i llove blizzard to death, I am a avid blizzard fanboy and supporter. But they f***** up bad with D3 and I knew it was only a matter of time till it came back to them
---
On the WoW board today, Coop14 becomes the most desired male on the board in the span of a single day. -
Wyrmwarrior5
#68SabramPosted 11/10/2012 6:43:03 PM
Authenticators are not at all required if you take care of your account, your computer, and your email, and don't click on suspicious links.

They do give a bit more peace of mind for those that really dont want to worry about the hassle of being hacked. I have a smartphone, and i decided to buy the physical authenticator simply because there may be times when i want to play WoW, or D3, and perhaps my phone is being charged, or dead, or in a different room, etc.

I love having the authenticator, and I love putting the numbers in every time i log in, because that means i know for certain my account is secure, and i don't have to worry about being hacked.
---
Official Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram
#69hyjinx17Posted 11/10/2012 7:00:40 PM
is this guy buddies with that Cyprus Hill guy? sounds about as stupid
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only arguement I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#70CBratePosted 11/10/2012 7:16:29 PM
Sounds like more whining but at least it sounds legit.
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 158 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: pabIito