This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard being sued over authenticators...

#71OsteoporozisPosted 11/10/2012 8:47:32 PM
If anybody's personal information was stolen as a result of security breaches that Blizzard covered up, Blizzard would've been sued long ago. This isn't to say that they haven't been hacked before, but nobody was hurt very much by it.
This being said, if this person's case is as awful as it sounds, he's going to be laughed out of the room. If he actually lost any property, Blizzard will pay for it and step up their security. Win either way, IMO.
---
Never heard a man speak like this man before.
#72Devil_wings00Posted 11/10/2012 9:24:12 PM
Hak posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
I dunno they really should include them in the box at retail locations and if you buy digitally you get one shipped to you. The minimal cost of authenticators to a company making making roughly 100-150 million a month (currently 10 million subs) could probably be made up in the space of a week for the entire production of them EVER for the rest of WoW's life span. Spending a bit of money for customer security and good will goes a long way to making people view you in a positive light. Who am I kidding though this is activision were talking about. Were lucky they even bother to provide the service at all since they don't make anything (if you can believe them).

As for the guy suing he's a clown and has no basis for his claim. A password is minimal security...Heck my bank has the same level of security online so why is blizzard expected to do more then anyone else to protect are precious game data? They aren't. Everything else isn't even worth discussing. Just sounds like a idiotic raging moron with more extra time and money then your average idiotic raging moron. It will just be tossed out.

After realising just how badly wrong the first part of your post was, I didn't see the need to read the rest. It's been widely known for a long time that the vast majority of WoW players pay less than a handful of dollars a month to play, not the 10-15 bucks you're basing your reasoning on.

Is the sub model completely different in other parts of the world or something because I would like to know how people are somehow paying less then what blizzard tells them to. Even if that's so there is something like 2+ million people playing in NA who cannot pay less then 15 a month and even at the cheapest (buying 6 months in one go) it's about 11 bucks. So splitting down the middle Blizz is making 25 million from NA alone per month. Never mind the other 8 million or so people who play with this other sub model (I'm guessing china).

It doesn't matter blizzard could easily afford to toss the bloody things out for free and it would be no hair off there a**. It's a cost that doesn't NEED to be passed onto the customer even if they aren't making anything on them. I guess it's impossible for people to comprehend a company actually doing something that would garner them good will. No matter Blizz does all it needs to do and I guess it's nice that they offer added security features to those who want them. Just saying they make more then enough that they COULD do something nice and offer this functionality for all without hurting the bottom line in the long run.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#73scarecrowsPosted 11/10/2012 10:49:42 PM
vahndragonwing posted...

So you admit that the people being compromised are being compromised of their own doing, then, because otherwise the end customer would have absolutely no bearing on security if it were on Blizzards end.

Also, just as an aside, Blizzard fully endorses the BlueStacks route if you have no other option, this was confirmed by a blue a month or so after DIII came out.

Also still haven't explained how keyloggers are going to copy an image.

Link? Cause I have one where they said the smartphone apps were compromised. Yes, and it's their job to protect them from themselves. They sold people a game (D3) without telling them that they would NEED to buy an authenticator to use a feature in the game. It's deceptive upselling. If this was just WoW it would be thrown out. Upselling after the sale to use the rmah is about to bite them in the ass. Nowhere on the box was it stated you would need to buy one to access parts of the game.

Also including things like a pet to lure people into buying one doesn't look too good. Just like their are theories that Blizzard owns the gold selling sites there are people who think Blizzard has bad security to upsell authenticators. They say they sell them at cost, but they say a lot of things. I don't personally believe that, but I do think this case will be settled out of court and Blizzard will be ponying up.
---
Tanks. Insta Q's = Insta QQ's
#74Muffins_RoolPosted 11/10/2012 10:55:12 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
Hak posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
I dunno they really should include them in the box at retail locations and if you buy digitally you get one shipped to you. The minimal cost of authenticators to a company making making roughly 100-150 million a month (currently 10 million subs) could probably be made up in the space of a week for the entire production of them EVER for the rest of WoW's life span. Spending a bit of money for customer security and good will goes a long way to making people view you in a positive light. Who am I kidding though this is activision were talking about. Were lucky they even bother to provide the service at all since they don't make anything (if you can believe them).

As for the guy suing he's a clown and has no basis for his claim. A password is minimal security...Heck my bank has the same level of security online so why is blizzard expected to do more then anyone else to protect are precious game data? They aren't. Everything else isn't even worth discussing. Just sounds like a idiotic raging moron with more extra time and money then your average idiotic raging moron. It will just be tossed out.

After realising just how badly wrong the first part of your post was, I didn't see the need to read the rest. It's been widely known for a long time that the vast majority of WoW players pay less than a handful of dollars a month to play, not the 10-15 bucks you're basing your reasoning on.

Is the sub model completely different in other parts of the world or something because I would like to know how people are somehow paying less then what blizzard tells them to. Even if that's so there is something like 2+ million people playing in NA who cannot pay less then 15 a month and even at the cheapest (buying 6 months in one go) it's about 11 bucks. So splitting down the middle Blizz is making 25 million from NA alone per month. Never mind the other 8 million or so people who play with this other sub model (I'm guessing china).

It doesn't matter blizzard could easily afford to toss the bloody things out for free and it would be no hair off there a**. It's a cost that doesn't NEED to be passed onto the customer even if they aren't making anything on them. I guess it's impossible for people to comprehend a company actually doing something that would garner them good will. No matter Blizz does all it needs to do and I guess it's nice that they offer added security features to those who want them. Just saying they make more then enough that they COULD do something nice and offer this functionality for all without hurting the bottom line in the long run.

The thing to consider is:
10 million subscribers.
$6.50 per authenticator
$65,000,000
That's 65 million, not factoring in international shipping.

Also, stockholders/board of directors might have something to say about the company taking that much of a hit willingly.
#75Reginleif20Posted 11/10/2012 11:25:23 PM
Krozard posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

A guy is suing Blizzard because they charge for authenticaors, which he says "Authenticator is required in order to maintain a minimal level of security on the playerís Battle.net account information thatís stored on Blizzardís network systems.",

He is accusing them of making 26 million in profits from them. He's also saying Blizzard didn't perform their legal obligation to inform players about the Diablo 3 hacking that happened in May. And finally, he's suing Blizzard to not require a Battle.net account.

Thoughts on this?

*remembers how crappy D3 is*

Screw blizzard
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#76CornwallacePosted 11/10/2012 11:32:25 PM
I've played on and off for years without an authenticator. I quit for good a little bit after Cata came out, my account got hacked 2 months ago. My friend who still plays said he saw me on and wasn't responding.

It's complete bull**** that you should need to pay money for a little device that keeps your account safe when I can't think of any other game that requires a payment for account safety. I think Blizzard makes enough ****ing money to supply them for free. Yes, smart phones do have the option of free authenticators, but I didn't get a smart phone until a couple months ago. Not everybody who plays will have that option.

But, knowing you drones, you'll suck Blizzards **** despite them being completely in the wrong just because "hurr I paid Blizzard even more money just so they would keep my account details and personal information safe"
---
http://creativegametheory.com/ Upcoming free Tower Defense game, check it out if you want. I'm not the boss of you.
#77CornwallacePosted 11/10/2012 11:36:43 PM
Muffins_Rool posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
Hak posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

The thing to consider is:
10 million subscribers.
$6.50 per authenticator
$65,000,000
That's 65 million, not factoring in international shipping.

Also, stockholders/board of directors might have something to say about the company taking that much of a hit willingly.

10 million subscribers - Active? Or total?
$6.50 per authenticator is just the selling price, I'm very sure it does not cost them exactly that to manufacture them. They want to make a profit of course.

It shouldn't be up to the players who PAID FOR THE GAME and then PAID TO PLAY THE GAME to keep their account from being hacked like this. Yes, some people are stupid and give out their information, but like I said before, I haven't played in over a year and my account got hacked just 2 months ago.
---
http://creativegametheory.com/ Upcoming free Tower Defense game, check it out if you want. I'm not the boss of you.
#78BobTDonutPosted 11/10/2012 11:38:24 PM
I'm very sure it does not cost them exactly that to manufacture them. They want to make a profit of course.

And you've just officially invalided everything you've said by stating completely false information..
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/SpVUU.jpg
#79lunchbox2042Posted 11/10/2012 11:42:09 PM
That's funny. Blizzard sent me a free authenticator when my WoW account got hacked.
---
GT: Mr Fn Lunchbox
#80Reginleif20Posted 11/10/2012 11:44:36 PM
lunchbox2042 posted...
That's funny. Blizzard sent me a free authenticator when my WoW account got hacked.

Too late
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it