This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blizzard should increase the number of gears dropped from each boss in LFR

#1g0tbeef89Posted 11/13/2012 3:46:18 PM
And this is why:

In normal and heroic raids where guild leaders had the job of distributing gears to their core raid members in a fair and strategic manner, there was very little problem as long as you were a long term core raider. This system of distribution was fair because everyone had an understanding of main spec before off spec and therefore the distribution was also efficient. On average it would be a net result of raiders receiving 1-2 pieces of gear per week provided full clear.

Of course, this does not translate well into LFR because everyone would roll for what they need regardless of main or offspec. This increases the competition for the gear, resulting in people not winning any gear 3-4 weeks in a row. This problem is further exasperated by the fact that some people would even roll need just to vendor. Therefore, the system has lost its efficiency and as a result, people get mad because their intrinsic subconscious expectation of getting 1-2 pieces of gear per week from LFR is not met.

The current system of auto rolling for loot does not solve this problem because it automatically rolls need for you and therefore we have the same higher competition for the same number of gear. Its only effect is that it displaces the discontent that players feel from being aimed towards other players to being aimed towards themselves (by feeling unlucky) or blizzard.

Economically, we can see this increase of competition as an increase in demand whilst the supply has remained the same in the past few patches. There are two approaches to fixing this problem. The easier immediate approach would just be to increase the supply by having more "drops" in LFR. By drops I mean having more players be able to win more items from one boss. Hopefully this would translate to everyone receiving some gear each week.

Criticism and counter argument:

The short term solution that I proposed may have the problem where people may change their expectations from getting 1-2 pieces of gear per week to 2-3 pieces and therefore they may still feel discontent. However, an announcement from Blizzard saying that they've already buffed the "drop rate" for gear may offset this a little and set up an expectation that it would be unfair or greedy to ask for further drop increases. This has no effect on proper hardcore raiders as the increase in wellfare epics does not effect the heroic raiders since LFR gear is of a poorer quality. Furthermore it does not tarnish player experience because the goals of casual players and raiders are different. Casual players focusing on alts and LFR cares more about ease of gearing and levelling alts whilst proper raiders care about challenge, prestige and min maxing. The proposed change to LFR would only improve customer experience for casual players without eroding the experiences of raiders.

I suppose a better long term solution would be to increase the efficiency of gear distribution by having smarter gear player matching system where players who have not received gear in a while would get a higher chance of winning than players who have already received gear for the gear. Also, a better recognition system where players who already have upgrades are not liable to receive more gear from bosses. Of course there's problems with this system as well because some players may still want the gear for transmog.

Summary: Current LFR distribution is less efficient and therefore does not meet player expectations. Increasing the number of people getting loot from each LFR boss would help meet player expectations.

Summary of summary: MOAR LOOT GUD!!
---
Ignoring all from tote since 2011.
#2silentzedPosted 11/13/2012 3:48:00 PM
I am curious as to which gears you speak of.

Guilty Gears?

Ground Gears?

Xenogears?

I personally would like more Xenogears to drop, also that they be poorly translated.
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#3g0tbeef89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 3:50:34 PM
Guilty gears in skimpy outfits.

Bonus points if the guys looks like girls also.
---
#4PiratethingyPosted 11/13/2012 4:26:51 PM
That's not how it works. Everyone rolls essentially against themselves. Everyone in your lfr could get loot off one boss if you were lucky enough.
---
Hit me up on Steam: ehusfelt
BioStar Z77 | i5-2500k | HIS HD 7850 | Samsung 120GB SSD | Antec 900
#5g0tbeef89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 4:34:56 PM(edited)
Piratethingy posted...
That's not how it works. Everyone rolls essentially against themselves. Everyone in your lfr could get loot off one boss if you were lucky enough.

What do you mean?

So you down a boss, let's say anything above a roll of 80/100 gets loot and 5 people rolls over 80 then all five people get loot from the boss? In contrast, if everyone rolls below 80 then nobody gets loot?

LOL I didn't know that. Maybe they should lax the rolls a little bit so that if it was above 80, make it above 75 or something.
---
#6That_70s_showPosted 11/13/2012 4:37:43 PM
Piratethingy posted...

What do you mean?

So you down a boss, let's say anything above a roll of 80/100 gets loot and 5 people rolls over 80 then all five people get loot from the boss? In contrast, if everyone rolls below 80 then nobody gets loot?

LOL I didn't know that. Maybe they should lax the rolls a little bit so that if it was above 80, make it above 75 or something.

Your chances are essentially the same. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, depending on how the old groups were balanced. You roll against yourself to determine whether or not you get a piece of gear. I don't know what the win conditions are, but they're pretty low. Maybe 1 in 5 boss fights gets a drop on average.
---
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3571/13952983.jpg
#7hurtloidePosted 11/13/2012 10:31:37 PM
Why does noone seem to understand this system:
I didn't think it was up to interpretation but jeez...
LFR is for people wanting to experience the content, not some loot piņata. People complained they never got to see the raids, well they got it. Now they are getting greedy. Personally I believe LFR shouldn't give you any loot. Blizzard however feels its a way to fill in some missing pieces that actual raiders need, not to get a complete LFR set.
#8g0tbeef89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 10:51:45 PM
hurtloide posted...
Why does noone seem to understand this system:
I didn't think it was up to interpretation but jeez...
LFR is for people wanting to experience the content, not some loot piņata. People complained they never got to see the raids, well they got it. Now they are getting greedy. Personally I believe LFR shouldn't give you any loot. Blizzard however feels its a way to fill in some missing pieces that actual raiders need, not to get a complete LFR set.

No!

LFR = for casuals

Normal/Heroic = for people who actually play the game.

As a casual now, I still want a whole set of epics.
---
#9g0tbeef89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 10:53:34 PM
And btw, nobody has explained what "rolling against yourself" ultimately entails. How does the distribution system work?
---
#10silentzedPosted 11/13/2012 11:36:26 PM
Previous LFR system: Set number of loot pieces drop, those eligible can roll for them or pass. The amount of loot distributed is the same every boss kill. Those who are eligible and roll the highest, win. Those who rolled lower get nothing.

New LFR system: You have a 15% chance per boss death for a piece of class appropriate (not spec) gear to drop. If your lucky, the loot will drop for you and that's it. It's yours. (i.e. this is the 'roll' for your own loot)

If not, you get gold. Number of pieces of loot distributed can fluctuate greatly from boss to boss, as each individual roller can win a piece of loot, or 2 if they use a charm and get lucky both times.

That's the new system. You're rolling against your own luck, rather than having someone else's RNG override yours and depriving you of a desired piece of loot.
---
/target Face
/cast Palm