This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so are mages crappy now or is it just a lot of whiners?

#31Marz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 11:41:54 AM
any pvp mages wanna weigh in?
---
~!
#32cyborg99sreturnPosted 12/5/2012 1:11:03 PM
BlackSparrow14 posted...
Mages imo are just experiencing their down time in this patch like most of the other classes at some point. Fire's combustion nerf along with the critical mass nerf was just horrible. I'm not too sure how it competes with frost now but frost just didn't scale as well with gear as fire last patch, so it isn't exactly the top spec atm. Both are probably still viable, it's just a shame how some hybrid dps classes can outdps mages now.

No one's taken this bait yet?
---
The metal blinds the eye of yet another lost existence...
#33TurtleT9Posted 12/5/2012 2:11:57 PM
It seems like half the people in this thread are just posting without any idea of what they're posting about. The main changes in this last patch are:

1) PVP: DF nerf to 4s down from 4.5s, Frost Bomb delay increased to 6s, and RoF cd increase to 45s. These are actually fairly significant changes - DF down to 4s eliminates 1gcd which is about 40-60k worth of dmg depending on whether the mage had incanter's proc. Frost bomb delay now means it's impossible to frost bomb -> df -> turret IL and have FB explode on its own - mages now have to explode with glyph of fireblast making it mandatory. RoF cd is pretty obvious.

2) PVE: Combustion dot nerfed by 50% and critical mass reduced to 1.25x additional chance to crit (down from 1.5x) . Those are both big changes, and from what I hear makes fire middle of the pack but I'm not sure on that one.
#34ishingo69Posted 12/5/2012 2:18:01 PM
I still love my mage to death, but I can tell you that more than anything, that combustion nerf is hurting BADLY. It used to be that in fights when you really needed to focus on movement, you could pop combustion after a couple hits and still have it be a semi-decent dot, but now, if you're not watching every single second of your ignite, you run the risk of burning a 1.5 minute cd for very minimal damage (I once hit it after a FB and 2 free pyros and got a 4k dot out of it). I love having to actually watch what I'm doing as far as dotting goes, but that's a bit ridiculous. Overall though, I still enjoy my guy and wouldn't give up my mage for anything.
---
Remember, life never gives you anything you can't handle....unless you die of something.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bladefist/silversyn/simple
#35wwesniperPosted 12/5/2012 2:19:27 PM
Arcane and Frost are top of the heap.

Fire is the red headed step child now though.
---
Shot through the knee and you're to blame! You give adventuring a bad name!
#36SyrupBookPosted 12/5/2012 3:50:52 PM
They're fine. Go to any WoW forum... They're all completely full of little kiddies crying about how unfair Blizz is, they're rerolling, quitting, etc. It's completely pathetic and embarrassing.
---
/target keyboard
/cast faceroll
#37AssultTankPosted 12/5/2012 11:29:38 PM
TurtleT9 posted...
2) PVE: Combustion dot nerfed by 50% and critical mass reduced to 1.25x additional chance to crit (down from 1.5x) . Those are both big changes, and from what I hear makes fire middle of the pack but I'm not sure on that one.

The Fire nerfs equated to roughly a 20% total damage nerf. I would say it probably won't be too uncommon to see Disc Priests out DPSing Fire Mages. For me it was roughly a 20k DPS loss. I went from first place in my raid group by a small margin to last place by a wide margin.

Of course we still have Arcane and Frost but that's like nerfing holy priests to being unplayable and saying it's fine because priests still have disc.
---
http://doc.cat-v.org/economics/bar_stool_economics This is how the American tax system works...
---
#38twinslashPosted 12/6/2012 2:41:07 AM
Honestly since the patch i'm doing better dps as arcane than i was as fire (before the crazy combustion buff that is) on single target fights and the cleave isn't to bad, although without the .1 cast time reduction per stack of AB like it used to be it feels realy clunky and doing fights like heroic spirit kings is a nightmare as arcane >_<
---
...i got nothing
#39AmakusaPosted 12/6/2012 2:50:28 PM
Lightning Bolt posted...
So take Incanter's Ward.

It's not just that I don't consider it viable, it's that it isn't viable. That's not even solely under perfect conditions, it's under real raid conditions as well.

Just because you consider it worthless doesn't mean it is.

With Incanter's Ward you need to know when the damage is incoming, but with this raid tier almost every boss has some sort of unavoidable AOE damage (just because Blizzard feels healers don't have enough to do) that it becomes a non-issue.

Now, if you don't know to put it up just before the damage goes out you gimp yourself royally.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#40AssultTankPosted 12/6/2012 2:58:16 PM
Amakusa posted...
Lightning Bolt posted...
So take Incanter's Ward.

It's not just that I don't consider it viable, it's that it isn't viable. That's not even solely under perfect conditions, it's under real raid conditions as well.

Just because you consider it worthless doesn't mean it is.

With Incanter's Ward you need to know when the damage is incoming, but with this raid tier almost every boss has some sort of unavoidable AOE damage (just because Blizzard feels healers don't have enough to do) that it becomes a non-issue.

Now, if you don't know to put it up just before the damage goes out you gimp yourself royally.

And the damage boost from it STILL puts it lower than Rune of Power and Invocation...
---
http://doc.cat-v.org/economics/bar_stool_economics This is how the American tax system works...
---