This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else misses "original" Warriors?

#21silentzedPosted 12/5/2012 1:17:10 PM
blax34dm posted...
I only meant for Pvp, but for pve- those were almost all good changes. No charge in combat? Seriously you want the mobility of a paladin back? Taunts that miss, which means its out of your hands potentially to hold aggro? 4 target thunder clap so you can't do the 10+ mob pulls like today even if you have the gear and the sense to charge caster aggros and use CDs/moves to stay alive?

Be careful what you wish for.

I know exactly why I liked it and exactly why it will never come again. The point is that we had an answer for everything, but it required knowledge of your class and each and every situation.

Playing Devil's advocate, that playstyle also meant dungeons that were bogged down in having to CC things and a lot of busy work that seemed like it existed solely to waste time. Nowadays, time is a little more precious to me. While I definitely miss a lot of the good things that I feel have been left behind in the name of marketing to a wider audience (i.e. dumbing the game down/ making it casual/more accessible), I can say I do still like playing the game and continue to do so.
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#22Dark SummonerPosted 12/5/2012 1:33:31 PM
As someone who played warrior from early vanilla to 5.0...all versions were good....what I hate is this new rage mechanic introduced in 5.0.

Completely changed the feel of the class. Protwise at least.
#23silentzedPosted 12/5/2012 1:48:21 PM
redundancies posted...
The difference now is that, not a whole lot can go wrong now, as opposed to before where EVERYTHING could go wrong at a moments notice, and reacting properly to each situation spelled the difference between success and a wipe.

Most of the things you listed above this statement were dealing with five-man trash. I think it's horrible design when that's the pinnacle of your play experience, rather than it being raid bosses. And there's the fact that, in those days, the best way to get around said problems was having a paladin drop Consecrate and AOE tank everything. It was brutally unfair, and all done in the sake of "uniqueness".

Back in those days, Paladin tanks weren't a widespread thing until partway through BC. But they did become the AoE kings...which is rather unfortunate considering how it shaped the tanking landscape in the following expansions =/

I wasn't talking about just the five-man tanking, things like MgT and Shattered Halls, there was trash everywhere throughout all of the raids, as well as adds that popped up during many different raid fights all throughout most of the raids in BC.

Tanking bosses also meant being crit. capped, never missing Shield Block lest ye be crushed and knowing each fight in and out and what you had to do, especially considering there wasn't Vengeance back then and you had to have A)A tank with an optimal rotation and B)DPS that know how to throttle. The infamous 'wait for three sunders' comes to mind.

To me, it was the little things, like knowing that Devastate generated its threat through damage even though it put a stack of sunder on, whereas Sunder generated an amount of threat based upon your attack power and could be used to generate threat on targets you couldn't break CC on or on mobs that were shielded from damage that you couldn't establish aggro on otherwise. Those little bits of esoteric knowledge that seperated the good from the great and the bad from the good.
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#24redundanciesPosted 12/5/2012 2:10:17 PM
I wasn't talking about just the five-man tanking, things like MgT and Shattered Halls, there was trash everywhere throughout all of the raids, as well as adds that popped up during many different raid fights all throughout most of the raids in BC.

It's my recollection that raid trash was "Each tank take one mob and CC everything else", outside of things like Hyjal where you just grabbed a paladin and AOEd, so there wasn't a whole lot of need for most of the tactics you mentioned in the previous post. We even used "one tank per mob" on things like Moroes, where a plate dps would "tank" an add while we burned the hell out of it.

Of course I was in pretty lackluster guilds at the time, so maybe good guilds were more active in the types of things that you mentioned.

Tanking bosses also meant being crit. capped

Oh gods, crit capping. As a bear tank I remember it all too well - we had a talent that reduced crit by 3%, but we still had to pad that extra 2.4% with either defense or resilience. I remember using garbage like the Clefthoof set and not being able to take a piece that would otherwise be an upgrade, or I'd become crittable...and losing ten arena matches a week to get resil pieces that were far far superior for tanking than the stuff that was dropping in raids.

Not good times.
#25FalosPosted 12/5/2012 2:11:46 PM
redundancies posted...
I think it's horrible design when [dungeons are] the pinnacle of your play experience, rather than it being raid bosses.

Old dungeon delving had a higher APM, was more trigger happy, polarized skill, and walked closer to the razor's edge.

Conversely, older raid bosses would become dull after you locked threat. Your reactives would be no more than DPS, who at least have a skill list to focus on. In fact, you would be exempt from many of those. The face/melee range would contain cleaves/breaths/cones (nonreactive) but also be a safe zone from assorted fires/reactives.

The reverse is true now, AoE threat almost didn't exist at one point and now 5mans are stompy scoopy silliness, while Blizzard considers any player mention of "tank and spank" to be a failure on their part.

No more patchwerks.
---
Ever squish your face on a window? Looks funny. Ever got stuck?
#26MorgasaurusPosted 12/5/2012 4:32:37 PM
I miss being able to destroy an entire AV ball with sweeping strikes retaliation once every 30 minutes.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#27gamesNrosesPosted 12/5/2012 8:41:34 PM
Nobody has mentioned Thunder Clap not being usable in Defensive Stance
#28PirwzwhomperPosted 12/5/2012 8:45:28 PM
I miss when tanking was hard, CC meant something, threat was rough, etc.

But its gone forever, not coming back and I've moved on.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#29Heineken14Posted 12/5/2012 10:03:00 PM
I miss warriors with Stunheralds!
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#30Genocet_10-325Posted 12/6/2012 3:29:11 AM
What was the rotation of a Wrath fury warrior? I didn't start playing my warrior until 4.3, but I've missed the 4.3 model ever since 5.0 went live. SMF fury feels more like old arms than new arms could ever hope to.
---
Formerly known as The_Great_Geno
Tayphetamine - Mal'ganis Horde -http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Tayphetamine/simple