This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Getting hacked is your own damn fault

#51XarlixPosted 12/9/2012 8:10:04 PM
MakeHate posted...
They arent exploiting a weakness in a computer?

HAHAHA.

You cant just admit you are wrong, you sad little man, can you? You gave a link to back yourself up. That link proves you wrong. Being able to log keystrokes without someones knowledge from a site is not an intended use of a computer. Thus, it's a weakness, that is being exploited.

By that definition, putting a security camera on my ceiling above my keyboard could be hacking, since it's not intended for keystrokes to be recorded from an external camera, thus it's a weakness, so hacking.

Same with looking over someone's shoulder. Unintended, so clearly a weakness.
Same with someone storing passwords on a file on their desktop called "PASSWORDS.TXT", that's discouraged by every security and/or password related guideline out there, meaning it's not intended, it's a weakness!

Is it a weakness that a hard drive can be removed and accessed at a later date and location?

Clearly the only solution is to ban cameras, make people wear high collars to prevent over-the-shouldering, and weld hard drives to the case.
---
Disclaimer: If I use the term 'rotation' on the WoW boards, I mean 'when to use abilities'. Failure to read this disclaimer may make you look like a fool.
#52KrozardPosted 12/9/2012 8:17:43 PM
Mostly C:
Keylogger - Users fault
Simple Password: Users fault

However, I seem to remember an incident recently where a priest (nearly?) lose their gladiator title when someone used a fake ID/passport/something to get blizzard to reset the account password, then disbanded their team (I'm a little curious what actually happened with that now)
cases like this, I'd say it's not their fault.

But with the above being a rare exception, and most account compromises are through keylogger, for the most part I would say yes. It's the user's fault. Just like it was my fault when I got hacked shortly before the release of WotLK
---
this space intentionally left blank
#53tiger002Posted 12/9/2012 8:25:06 PM
Well, even if it isn't the official use of the word, hacking in this case means someone accesing your account with malicious intent.

So, I'd say most of the time, yes it's the users fault. There may be rare exceptions, but if you have a good, unique password, have a good anti-virus program, and practice common sense on the internet, you should be safe. Add in an authenticater, and it's nearly impossible to be hacked.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#54MakeHatePosted 12/9/2012 8:56:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#55Major GamerPosted 12/9/2012 9:13:45 PM
In terms of what everyone calls hacking (even though when someone says they get hacked, it's almost always not actual hacking), it is 99% of the time because of actions the user did and nothing to do with Blizzard.

As for MakeHate: You've already lost the argument when all you have is an ad hominem.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#56MakeHatePosted 12/9/2012 9:36:12 PM
In terms of what everyone calls hacking (even though when someone says they get hacked, it's almost always not actual hacking), it is 99% of the time because of actions the user did and nothing to do with Blizzard.

As for MakeHate: You've already lost the argument when all you have is an ad hominem.

No, what he said was pretty idiotic.
---
"but you still have to use a keyboard which was made for word processing back in the early 90s with MSdos" -The_Big_Deek
#57toolittletimePosted 12/9/2012 9:38:08 PM
I blame the hackers themselves and of course players who buy gold which is the reason 99% of hackers hack wow accounts.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#58Gobstoppers12Posted 12/9/2012 11:02:16 PM
Confirm.

Get an authenticator and stop clicking every link emailed to you.
---
think about all the people that complained over DaVinci code...it would be much worse with killer bisexual jesus in Mgs4. --NexVesica, regarding Vamp Theories.
#59toolittletimePosted 12/9/2012 11:54:28 PM
If 100% of players got an authenticator there would never be a hacked WoW account again.
---
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
Mark Twain
#60LottoStudPosted 12/9/2012 11:58:56 PM
C
---
Two shots of whatever