This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Monks using the fist type weapons viable at 90?

#1kupo4lifePosted 12/22/2012 9:34:29 PM
I don't play a monk (yet) so idk the specifics, but every monk I see at 90 has a staff, is using 2 fist type weapons not viable at 90 for raiding or something? Honestly when I first saw monk (before playing) I thought "finally a class that can use those sweet looking fist weapons" and yes I know rogues/shamans could use them as well, but monk just seems to make sense (imo)

I'd like to level a monk but I would really like to use fist type weapons if I do so?
#2kupo4life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2012 9:36:27 PM
this is for the dps spec, btw.
#3lostsymphonyPosted 12/22/2012 9:37:05 PM
For Windwalker? Yeah, sure, they're fine.
#4GForceDragonPosted 12/22/2012 9:46:46 PM
To get the obvious out of the way, if you just like the look of punching things, there's a minor glyph that makes your jab strike with your fists regardless of equipped weapon.
---
"I'm not insane." - LaqOfInterest
#5kupo4life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2012 9:55:04 PM
I like the look of punching things.... with over sized fist weapons. :)
#6MorgasaurusPosted 12/22/2012 11:15:20 PM
WW/BM monks can coast from 85-90 with Spear of Xuen then upgrade to a 476 inscription staff at 90 for whatever spec they want which is what I did. When I hit Jade Forest with that spear I was 2-3 shotting quest mobs. It was wonderful.

Technically dual wield is stronger, but it is much less likely that you will get the drops for it.
---
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ..."
- Matthew 16:26
#7BobTDonutPosted 12/22/2012 11:53:13 PM
but every monk I see at 90 has a staff,

You haven't looked at a lot of Windwalker Monks yet because pretty much every single one of them uses dual wield. Only tanks really use staves, and that is mostly because they produce higher threat.

Technically dual wield is stronger,

Its MUCH stronger then using a 2H due to how much melee swings matter for our DPS.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/SpVUU.jpg
#8ElaeusPosted 12/23/2012 3:57:29 AM
BobTDonut posted...

Its MUCH stronger then using a 2H due to how much melee swings matter for our DPS.

This is really all you need to know especially for windwalkers, provided you are comparing the same tier of different weapon types together e.g: A lv463 polearm vs. lv463 fist weapons.

In my opinion however, say, shouldn't a hc raiding staff be better than dual weilding 5hc weapons (and possibly dual wielding normal raiding weapons)? From what I saw and while monks special attacks aren't weapon damage based, shouldn't the stat jump be overall better?
---
'I am always surprised at how you, a Czech, have better grammar, spelling, and style than many native born speakers in the U.S.' -Ruvan22
#9BobTDonutPosted 12/23/2012 9:07:18 AM
In my opinion however, say, shouldn't a hc raiding staff be better than dual weilding 5hc weapons (and possibly dual wielding normal raiding weapons)? From what I saw and while monks special attacks aren't weapon damage based, shouldn't the stat jump be overall better?

489 staff > two blue weaps (but barely)

476/483 MH + 463 OH > 489 staff

Stats aren't a big deal when a large portion of our DPS comes from melee swings. The reason 2 1Hs are so good is because they get an increase of 70% damage, 35% on each weapon. When you use a 2H, you get a 40% melee haste buff. Now that haste buff pretty much brings the 2H to the same speed as dual wield, but dual wielding still gives you another swing, and thanks to the 35% boost, the weapon damages are much closer.

The polearm is 12k-18k. A blue 1H once multiplied gets 6k-11k. Now adding two 1Hs puts us right around the same damage as the polearm, but of course you have to factor in loss of stats and the fact that you'll be missing more swings overall. Now, if we replace one of the blues with a 476, we get a 6.7k-12.5k weapon, which when added to the blue will offset the stat loss and misses even more. And if you can get even the 483 ESPECIALLY if you put a gem into it? gg, it wins easily.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/SpVUU.jpg