This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how will mage dps be in 5.2?

#1xVSaNxPosted 12/24/2012 11:55:23 AM
is it going to hurt as bad as the 5.1 nerf to fire? i know they're making arcane mana management "work as intended" with the scorch change
#2KrozardPosted 12/24/2012 12:14:20 PM
From what I've been seeing, if the current patch notes make it to live, unchanged (very unlikely), Frost is going to be "the" spec.
---
this space intentionally left blank
#3MrBigJohnsonPosted 12/24/2012 12:18:03 PM
mages worried? lmfao
---
Even addiction has diminishing returns.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Marisette/advanced
#4QbertFarnsworthPosted 12/24/2012 2:52:12 PM
Krozard posted...
From what I've been seeing, if the current patch notes make it to live, unchanged (very unlikely), Frost is going to be "the" spec.

This. Arcane and frost won't be close anymore. The only reason so many of us are raiding as arcane right now is because the rotation is simple and arcane and frost are really close. 5.2 as advertised would make frost better than arcane in DPS by an amount significant enough to get all of the lazy arcane mages to respec.
---
Good news everyone!
#5realast_killaz1Posted 12/24/2012 5:13:32 PM
mage nerfs? lmao
#6AssultTankPosted 12/24/2012 6:33:58 PM
realast_killaz1 posted...
mage nerfs? lmao

You must have missed 5.1...
---
http://wh.gov/RI5h Petition to declare Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.
---
#7patsfan2312Posted 12/24/2012 10:03:58 PM
Frost looks like its gettin a little better with the mirror image and frostbolt buffs.
All in all it will still likely have at least one spec near the top of dps in frost and arcane.
Can't really say about fire though.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkyuXdfhlA
#8xVSaNx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2012 2:18:43 PM
thank you for those two useless, nerdy posts

i don't like frost spec, how complex is the rotation? i haven't pve'd as frost since leveling 1-80 in cata, i don't remember it being very fun at all

and i don't understand blizz's balancing of the mage specs, why make a new spec greatly outdps the other 2 specs with each new patch when rogues and hunters both have 2 dps specs near the top, and poor fire, it's even worse than hybrid classes dps specs now

but knowing blizz, when they see nothing but mages complaining on the mage forum they'll buff them again, hopefully before 5.2 goes live
#9Demon SlicerPosted 12/25/2012 5:32:01 PM
xVSaNx posted...
thank you for those two useless, nerdy posts

i don't like frost spec, how complex is the rotation? i haven't pve'd as frost since leveling 1-80 in cata, i don't remember it being very fun at all

No mage spec rotation is complex. At all.

and i don't understand blizz's balancing of the mage specs, why make a new spec greatly outdps the other 2 specs with each new patch when rogues and hunters both have 2 dps specs near the top, and poor fire, it's even worse than hybrid classes dps specs now

Mages don't have a "new spec", and buffing the other specs wouldn't really matter. Most people will always play whatever the best one is, regardless whether or not if they might like another better. People hated Arcane but still played it because it was the top mage spec before they buffed Fire, and then everyone switched to fire. Fire gets nerfed, everyone is switching again. There will always be an optimal spec.

Not to mention this isn't just a mage problem. Affliction is hands down better than the other two specs for Warlocks.

but knowing blizz, when they see nothing but mages complaining on the mage forum they'll buff them again, hopefully before 5.2 goes live

Mages should stop crying then. Mages are butt hurt that Fire isn't out of control OP anymore and that they're not hitting 4 buttons and destroying meters. Even with Arcane doing well right now, they're still butt hurt. They don't need a buff.

Mages are where they pretty much always are: with one of their specs being top 3 DPS. I doubt that'll change much going forward.
---
GT: Makes It Rayne
"Incendite tenebras mundi" - "Liberi Fatali"
#10xVSaNx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 2:34:30 PM
no wow spec rotation is complex* as it is all gear dependency now

fire was the top spec in 5.0 and it was competitive with affliction warlocks, now in 5.1 arcane is the new top spec and it's a solid 7% dps behind the top warlock spec, and in 5.2 the new top spec seems like it will be frost and I dunno where it'll be on the meters

in my opinion the specs should be equal, as in marginally close to each other, that way with gear and skill you can play whatever spec you like most and still dps competitively. as it is now, most mages are arcane, most warlocks are affliction, most dps warriors are fury, etc. as this is a topic on mages, I discussed how it's a problem for them specfically, but I feel the same for every class

most of the top specs are 5 button destroy the meter specs, it's more about rotation/priority and gear than having a large skillset now